Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

100 Greatest British Television Programmes

24 posts in this topic

Posted

This is the list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_British_Television_Programmes

I call myself a huge fan of English TV and I was shocked that I watched almost nothing from that list. I've only watched some Dr Who and some Thunderbirds from that list.

How many of the list have you watched? Some recommendations?

P.S., I will definitely skip the Teletubbies.

Posted

about 80% although some where forced on me by my mother "Brideshead" for e.g.

world at war was rather good

boys from the black stuff a def. watch ahhh too many great ones on there ,calling yourself an English tv fan and knowing nothing from the list mmm there are some classics on there

Posted

This Life was a great series.

Posted

Too many.

Drop The Dead Donkey should have been a lot higher?

Posted

I've seen a fair few of them but the list is from 2000 and there has been some pretty good shows made since then which should make the list.

Posted

"The Knowledge" jeees there is a blast from the past remember that one? that was just a one off series was it not?

Posted

Wot no Young Ones? (note: I watched an episode recently and wish I'd left it as a happy boyhood memory)

Surprised Parkinson is so high.

Love this clip featuring a young Helen Mirren's effortless smackdown of a clearly one-track-minded Parky...

Posted

No "Blake's 7", "Sapphire and Steel" nor "Robin of Sherwood"? :huh:

And no "Crystal Maze" either!

Posted

The list was compiled by 'industry professionals', there are a lot of obscure things in it which probably had very low audience figures.

Have to agree with Stangabreck, 'This Life' was excellent, I recently got both series on DVD :)

'They Think It's All Over' should be in there along with 'Chelmsford 123'...

Posted

52 - only caught sight of some of them, though.. just bits here and there and not avidly watched.

I agree with the suggestions above. Where is Blake's 7? I had a huge crush on Paul Darrow as Avon.

And Jackanory? Play School? Play Away? Classics for the younger child (and I still miss Jackanory - there was something so cosy about being able to sit down for 15 minutes and have someone read a story to you. Mrs Pepperpot for example. Kenneth Williams was one of the best readers. *sigh* 'appy days.)

Posted

Wot no Young Ones? (note: I watched an episode recently and wish I'd left it as a happy boyhood memory)

My thoughts too. and Benny Hill. and Mr. Bean.

On that list I've enjoyed Fawlty Towers, Dr. Who, Python obviously, Black Adder and Ab Fab.

Posted

Oh.. And Tomorrow's World?

Panorama?

Or Horizon.

So Tiswas in there and no Horizon. Kind of sums up why I left the UK originally.

Posted

Vic Reeves Big Night Out, This Life, The Office, Bo Selecta, Shooting Stars, Brookside, too many others to mention.

Posted

Or Horizon.

So Tiswas in there and no Horizon. Kind of sums up why I left the UK originally.

I knew there was another one whose name I couldn't recall. Thanks for jogging my memory. It might have kept me awake tonight.

Posted

You can probably also throw Equinox in there.

Posted

I got 24 from 100. But I think there's a lot missing and, like others, I noticed the list is from the year 2000.

Coronation Street is on there but where's Eastenders? Pride & Prejudice is on there but where's North & South? Oh yeah, that was 2004.

Blackadder Goes Forth is on there but not the rest. And where is "Men Behaving Badly"? "The Young Ones"? "Dinnerladies"? "Two Pints of Lager and

a Packet of Crisps"? Anything with Billy Connelly.

Boys from the Black Stuff I'll never forget!

Fawlty Towers, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Boys from the Blackstuff, Yes Minister / Yes, Prime Minister, Brideshead Revisited, I, Claudius, Blackadder Goes Forth, Absolutely Fabulous, The Jewel in the Crown, An Englishman Abroad, Life on Earth, The Old Grey Whistle Test, Cracker, Top of the Pops, Only Fools and Horses, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet(series 1), Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Live Aid, Prime Suspect, Nineteen Eighty-Four, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, One Foot in the Grave, Later... with Jools Holland, Pride and Prejudice, ...

By the way, what's on 2nite? :lol:

P.S.: I've been enjoying the "Call the Midwife" series (read the books - lovely stories from the Eastend in the 50's

and I do like "Miranda". She makes me giggle and Tom Ellis makes me drool.... :wacko:

Current comedy: Russel Howard's Good News, John Bishop, Michael McIntyre, Rhod Gilbert to name a few...

Posted

Fawlty Towers

Yes Minister

Absolutely Fabulous

Coronation Street

Father Ted

One Foot in the Grave

Not on the list, but...

As Time Goes By

Keeping Up Appearance

Allo Allo

Rosemary and Thyme

MI5/Spooks

Posted

Don't know half of them - must have been here too long!!

Posted

you must have been here 40 bloody years,you sure you're not a kraut?