Working for BMW Munich

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

My husband just was offered a position at BMW Munich! He is really excited as this was a childhood dream of his!

I have 2 questions:

- does anyone have experience working at BMW? What can he expect? Do they have a cantine with reasonable prices, a gym, etc? How's the corporate culture?

- we do not know the city besides touristic places. We are looking for a place outside the city and within a 25 minute commute to BMW at OlympiaPark. We have a 1 year old and a baby on the way. I will be working 80% or 100% and will need good quality daycare. Lastly, we are interested in renting a single-family home or double house with a yard. Our renting budget including NB is around 2200€. Any recommendations on where to live?

Thank you so much for all the help!

Posted

There are a number of TTers who work for or are involved with BMW I believe... I'm sure they will be along soon.

Posted

Outside of the city within a 25 minutes commute to BMW during the rush hour is not realistic. I pass BMW everyday and my home is about 4kms away from BMW and it takes me at least 25 minutes to pass it.

If you want to stay outside of the city and near BMW you should look for some place in Karlsfeld oder Dachau but nowdays 2200 is a rather tight budget for a house close to the city.

Posted

What are you on about? 2200 is plenty for a place to rent.

Ive had a wee look on immoscout24 - areas may be Feldmoching for example, see here

http://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/67759426?navigationServiceUrl=/search/resultList/exposeNavigation/navigate.go?searchUrl%3D/Suche/S-20/Haus-Miete/Bayern/Muenchen/-/3,00-/-/EURO--1500,00%26exposeId%3D67759426&navigationHasPrev=true&navigationHasNext=true&navigationBarType=RESULT_LIST

Dont forget that you will probably pay a hefty sum to a "Makler" and you will likely need to fit out a kitchen.

Posted

they don't just have 1 cantine, they have a few of them (Asian, Indian, vegetarian, etc.), from what I've heard it must be pretty cool! A few friends of mine work for BMW and enjoy it, I personally don't really enjoy working with BMW as a customer. They like to change contact persons for certain projects every few months and move them to different departments which makes it difficult to actually get a project started (even Italian producers are more reliable, who'd have guessed?!). Regarding housing: BMW might be able to help you with that, they pay for a friend's apartment, not sure what the policy is though!

Posted

The atmosphere varies from department to department, for example HR is extremely bureaucratic and political. In general it's conservative, very Bavarian, male-dominated, elitist, but not a bad place to work. There are several canteens but all too busy, especially in the FIZ. Prices are reasonable, about 3.50 € for a fairly good meal with a dessert, for an internal (about twice as much for externals). If he's an internal he will probably feel welcomed etc., if he's an external he will feel somewhere between a tolerated pet and something the cat brought in.

There is a strong animosity towards Audi and Daimler so it may be best not to drive to work in either.

The HR Dept may be able to help with housing etc., depends on your status. It is expensive in Munich and since most of the people who live here have money, even rich folk have problems finding a flat. It's typical to live somewhere less than ideal until a better place turns up.

Posted

@camlough yes it within the budget. The house is located in Feldmoching / Hasenbergl which isn´t excactly a desirable place to life.

Posted

Thank you all for the answers / tips. I am guessing we should look at a 20-25 minute public transportation time in order to stick to our rental budget and desires... I see many things near Dachau, is it a nice place to live? I also see a lot near Aschheim, how is it there?

Posted

I strongly advise you to not move to a place where your only public transport is the S-Bahn. It is prone to faulty switches, people jumping in front of it and delays due to wet leaves on the tracks. Try Feldmoching or Freimann, they have a U-Bahn and a fairly good bus system.

Posted

OP, your last post doesn't really make sense. If you're looking at 20-25 mins by public transport, both of those areas (Dachau, Aschheim) won't work. You'd be likely looking at 1 hour (door-to-door) from either.

So, which is your priority? The distance, the size, the price...?

As to the rest, I believe they don't have their own gym, but partner with one where you get discounted membership. Corporate culture is pretty good; most (internal) employees seem very happy to be there. Although, being a large company, there are of course differences between the departments - or areas. You haven't said which general area he will be in (there's a big difference between, say, Sales&Marketing and Development Motors, working in the plant, etc etc...and difference "cultures" within the company).

Posted

Ruapehu - Where can I be within 25 minutes of public transportation from OlympiaPark? (remember I have only spent 24 hours in this city a few weeks ago and did not use public transport) Then I will make the budget work. Distance to work is our #1 priority, then we can compromise on the size.

Sarabyrd - Thanks for the tip. Do Feldmoching and Freimann fit out commute time of about 25-30 minutes?

Posted

Feldmoching does, Freimann/Alte Heide might, depending on traffic jams and other obstructions.

Feldmoching has the S1 to the airport and the U2 that touches ground at the FIZ as well as a bus line (173) south to Petuelring.

Freimann has two bus lines (Studentenstadt 177 and 50, Alte Heide 50, both join the U2 at Frankfurter Ring for FIZ) going east towards BMW at Petuelring as well as the U6 that connects to the U3 at Münchner Freiheit, also going to Petuelring.

Posted

also Milbertshofen, Schwabing, Moosach are not too far.

I did realise that you hadn't spent much time in Munich, but somehow assumed you would already have checked out the transport situation as that sort of thing is always available online (and it's the first thing I'd do when moving anywhere, or even going on holiday).

Check out the MVV-plan to see which areas, then plug in trial runs from various stops to, e.g. Frankfurter Ring, which will be close to most BMW locations (unless you know the actual address he'll be located, which you can also use - it recognises FIZ, for example)

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/homepage/index.html

Use the "Journey Planner" and the "Network" tabs to check it out.

Posted

The atmosphere varies from department to department, for example HR is extremely bureaucratic and political. In general it's conservative, very Bavarian, male-dominated, elitist, but not a bad place to work. There are several canteens but all too busy, especially in the FIZ. Prices are reasonable, about 3.50 € for a fairly good meal with a dessert, for an internal (about twice as much for externals). If he's an internal he will probably feel welcomed etc., if he's an external he will feel somewhere between a tolerated pet and something the cat brought in.

Yes, this describes all the situations well.

I strongly advise you to not move to a place where your only public transport is the S-Bahn.

Yes. The S-Bahn is the worst of all Munichs systems for reliabilty. You will be delayed by 5-10 minutes occasionally and totally held up a few times a year. But for the out-of-town people that's seems to be acceptable.

But transport and housing depends on which BMW department or site he'll be working at. Werk 1, FIZ/Hufelandstr, Freimann...?

Posted

anyone have tips to increase chance of success when applying with BMW?

I'm a senior software engineer - multiple OO languages, including C++

Posted

@Lisa: you can wear a short skirt since the HR-department is male-dominated :) .

On a more serious note I believe that BMW is doing a lot of outsourcing since IT is not exactly a core competence. An old colleague of mine works for BMW through Logica.

Posted

I don't know how to increase your chances for success in applying, but I have experienced their recruiting process so I know that it is pretty difficult to find a way in.

On the whole, they seem to prefer people who they can fit nicely into little boxes - i.e. people with a clearly structured CV, leading logically from where they started to where they are now. They're not really into people who have jumped around a lot, have any gaps, seem to be under average at what they do. On the whole, BMW seems to prefer people with top grades who have maybe had one of two other jobs but essentially can be moulded to fit their company.

I have noticed that they are lately looking for a lot of people, and a lot have been positions for which I would be extremely well qualified. But I wouldn't even bother to apply anymore, as I am 100% certain they wouldn't even look at me (too old, too experienced, not originally an engineer, AND nasty nasty I have worked for BMW as a contractor in the past - which tends to give you a black mark too).

edit: oh, and unless it is clear from the job description that they want a foreigner (English speaker), they will expect very good German. Of all the companies I have worked for, it's the one where I encountered by far the most highly qualified people who couldn't really communicate in English.

Posted

thanks guys - this is pretty much what I expected but had a couple of people tell me that their software dev was not quite the same culture as their standard engineering groups.

That prompted me to look at their job portal - granted this was around christmas - and I was surprised to find they had a variety of ads in english, which is what made me think that maybe they were turning their attitude - I'll have another look.

I don't have an intensely burning desire to work there, but it could be interesting work. I hate wasting time applying if it's pointless though, so your feedback helps

Posted

...I am guessing we should look at a 20-25 minute public transportation time in order to stick to our rental budget and desires... ...

I'm thinking that you'll be stuck in the city if you only want a 20-25 minute public transport commute, but for €2200 a month I'm sure you can find a sweet flat for that price, heck even a small house, no?. That's a good housing allowance!

Posted

Ah, Elfenstar, I wish this was an allowance... this is just the budget we set ourselves to put into living arrangements! But thanks for your contribution, much appreciated! :)