Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Baking stone for pizza - Pizzabackstein

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone know where I can shop for one of these in Munich? (before I resort to internet shopping).

Thanks

Posted

try kustermann between marienplatz and rindermarkt, they've got just about every conceivable kitchen accessory. and even if you don't find it you'll probably buy something else!

Posted

Try the ceramic shop by Nymphenburg or a hardware store (those clay things that sit under a potted plant).

Posted

You can use unglazed clay paving stones from the hardware store. They are super cheap and you can leave them in the oven all the time. (They help regulate the temperature and cancel "hot spots" for any type of baking.

Posted

Does anyone have any names or addresses of a hardware store in Munich which sells unglazed clay paving stones?

K Thx

Posted

I don't have a pizza stone, can you just use a metal baking tray for homemade pizza, or does it come out like crap?

Posted

it typically comes out like crap...i know from experience. ;)

i'm on the lookout for a pizza stone/clay tile to try to improve the outcome. the real problem is most home ovens just aren't hot enough, but a stone will help you get some ever-important bottom crust char.

Posted

Just type in : Pizzastein on Amazon.de and choose.

Posted

Well I used two different pans: an aluminum one that resulted in undercooked crust, and a cast iron one crisped up that sucker.

Pizza attempt #1 a halfway success, but I will buy a baking stone, as my 6 year old is loving making homemade pizza, so this will be one of many attempts.

Posted

It just needs to be a heavy base with a lot of retained heat that wont cool the moment you put your uncooked pizza on top. Steel/stone - doesn't really matter.