What's with the alternative medicine?

59 posts in this topic

Posted

Milton, you need to know not every ailment needs medication. You say you have fever and cold, lots of rest, vapor rub, tea etc., will do the trick.. Human body is a miraculous thing, let it do the work some times rather drugs!

I adore German medical system that doctors or apotheke do not rush to give medicine, at least in my case..

Posted

I recommend ratiopharm nasengel for the nose and ginger tea for the rest.

Why didn't you ask for what you thought you needed?

Posted

My boyfriend's just come back from a different Apotheke. He asked for pseudo-ephedrin and got it.

To be honest, the thing I'm angry about is that the knee-jerk reaction is to hand over pills that don't work. I walked into a pharmacy, not a health food store.

Posted

:D

Pseudoephedrin ist ein Phenylethylamin-Alkaloid, aus Pflanzen der Gattung Ephedra (Ephedra vulgaris), das auch in der Indischen Malve (Sida cordifolia) und im Asiatischen Tüpfelmohn (Roemeria refracta) vorkommt. Pseudoephedrin ist ein α1-Adrenozeptor-Agonist, der wie dessen Diastereomer Ephedrin in den Bereich der Stimulanzien fällt und als Sympathomimetikum häufig in Erkältungsmitteln Verwendung findet.

Posted

Talking about the placebo effect of chemical-sounding-names-we-know-from-home...

Since you didn't say what they sold you and if you actually tried it, we won't know if it was herbal-burble stuff.

Posted

But I have to work today and having a blocked nose and runny eyes isn't helping. There is actually over-the-counter medication that works to fix this.

So why didn't you ask for that stuff then? If you went into a greengrocers wanting carrots, would you settle for turnips instead?

Posted

The herbs can poison you line is interesting.

When science shows that a herb kills you people don't take it. But when science shows a herb/alternative medicine doesn't have any health benefits people will still believe it and come out with examples of people getting better after taking it.

If I show you an example of somebody who didn't die after taking something poisonous does that mean it isn't poisonous? How much proof would you need to not take it? I guess tabacco is worth discussing under that category?

Posted

same as Allerhausen said. it's your choice what you end up leaving the shop or the doctor with.

Personally, I'm quite happy to be given herbal/naturalistic remedies, etc (draw the line at globuli, though :rolleyes: ) BUT I make the decision as to how far I'll go with them. If I'm coughing and spluttering a bit, I may well be happy to try something which I assume will have fewer long-term side effects, but if I feel my spluttering has nested itself into my body and needs more aggressive shifting, I'll insist on antibiotics (or if I'm at the pharmacist, then something stronger and chemical).

I don't see why the two can't exist in harmony - and I for one am pleased the medical profession is starting to use a combination of school and other treatments.

Posted

You're all correct, of course. I should have gone in with the chemical name of what I needed and then I should have checked the packet of stuff they gave me and refused to pay for it.

Silly me. I didn't realise that university trained chemists would actually hand out unproven remedies. I will know better for next time.

Posted

You will get a combination of pseudoephedrin and an antihistaminic under the name of Rhinopront without a prescription. It helps against a blocked nose. However,on top of that I would suggest a secretolytic ( e. g. gelomyrthol forte or acetylcystein) and drinking lots of non-alcoholic stuff (otherwise the secretolytic cannot work properly).

They might be reluctant to hand out pseudoephedrin because it may be further processed to ampheyamine by drug addicts or dealers in a backyard laboratory. That's why it was banned in some countries.

Posted

You should have the right to be told exactly what 'medicine' you are getting.

Absolutely. And my doctor/s always do tell me what they are prescribing me (normally they tell me in the course of the dialogue and I say ok before they actually write the prescription - would have thought that was normal practice) - and if the name means nothing to me, I ask what it is and what it does.

Posted

So why didn't you ask for that stuff then? If you went into a greengrocers wanting carrots, would you settle for turnips instead?

Probably because Apotheker/in like to consult with their customers before handing over their products, unless you just walk in and ask for Ibuprofen or Paracetamol, he or she will most likely ask you what's wrong and then recommend something.

Posted

I find it amazing that when an ordinarily healthy person has an ordinary cold, it's the end of the world and immediately wants every medication possible... preferably antibiotics. Having an ordinary cold is rubbish. We all know what it's like... blocked nose and sinuses, maybe a fever and generally feeling like you never want to get out of bed ever again. And I bet that in most cases it doesnt matter if you take hardcore drugs, have steambaths or rub ointment on your chest, drink tea and eat chicken broth, none are a miracle cure and it takes equally long to feel better.

In our society we don't have time to waste, we want everything here and now and are unsatisified with aeverything that doesn't have an immediate effect.

Gute Besserung!

Posted

In our society we...want everything here and now and are unsatisified with aeverything that doesn't have an immediate effect.

If it's possible and reasonable - what's wrong with that?

Posted

Got a packet of useless herbal tablets, for which I was charged nearly ten euros.

Was it Sinupret?

My boyfriend's just come back from a different Apotheke. He asked for pseudo-ephedrin and got it.

What exactly did he get? Pseudo-ephedrin isn't sold as a single drug here, only in combination with either aspirin or an antihistamine as jeba mentioned.

Posted

If it's possible and reasonable - what's wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes, (like with a cold) there is no overnight cure with either alternative or conventional medicine

Posted

Perhaps there needs to be a rebranding? Rather than calling it alternative medicine we should call it unproven medicine?

Posted

Wouldn't that do away with the placebo effect? But to be serious: not all herbal medicine is nonsense - even if many are.

Posted

There is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes, (like with a cold) there is no overnight cure with either alternative or conventional medicine

There might be no real cure, but at least some alleviation is possible. So why not go for it?