Wireless internet providers in Pankow?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a wireless internet provider that could service Pankow?

For years I was with Maxx on Air, but they recently cancelled the contract because (they said) they were giving up their mast in the area.

None of the providers I have contacted are able to provide wireless service. Apparently we have the wrong wires in our building for DSL. Other people in the building have Telekom speedports, but Telekom tells me that they can't do anything for me. I have Kabel Deutschland for TV, but they also say they can't provide internet to our apartment.

Right now I'm stringing along with Tchibo and O2 USB sticks, but they're really inconvenient and don't provide enough data volume.

I'd be grateful if anyone knows of anything. Thanks!

Posted

Same with me! I could only find DT who were able to provide a service in Pankow. Unfortunately, after waiting for 6 weeks they still hadn't done anything to install the service so I pulled the plug. I've now got a tchibo surf stick which gives a better connection than maxxonair did - not great but okish. The only thing to be aware of is that the €9 option with tchibo only gives 500mb per month at maximum speed and then it drops to a slow speed, which is unusable. You have to sign up first at the €9 rate then upgrade to €20 per month which gives 5gb at the top speed per month.

With the help of other TTers I've managed to connect the stick to my router so I still have the home wifi network with everything able to access the internet through the surf stick.

good luck!

grahame s

Posted

Thanks for the tips. When I'm feeling up to the technical challenge, I'll search the forum for instructions about connecting the stick to a router, at least then we'd have the wireless part solved. The data volume is still a problem, though. Even with 2 sticks at the maximum data volume, we still hit the wall fairly quickly.

So I'd still be interested in hearing of any other solutions ...

Posted

I don't torrent. I'm a free-lancer who does a lot of work on the internet and I watch US (openly available) TV and I have a teenage daughter who watches a lot of youtube.

Posted

You could try Internet via satellite if you can install the dish somewhere. For example:

http://de.skydsl.eu

But I have zero experience with them and I do not know anyone who used them, so do not blame me if they are shite.

Posted

Have you tried Alice or Vodafon for LTE?

Usually, areas that don't have DSL availability have alternatives, not only WDSL (WiMax) but also LTE:

http://dslshop.vodafone.de/eshop/consumer/97444194/0/1/pk-detail-vodafone-lte-zuhause-telefon-internet-21600-paket.html?Product=LTE21600DF&Product.Landline.Net.DSL.Bandwidth=21600&Product.Mobile.Vorteilspaket&Product.Mobile.Voice.Tariff&tsID=af575931-7fd1b2c82490b5d91c37c60615bbb9e5&c_id=affl_cco_affiliate_af_575931-7fd1b2c82490b5d91c37c60615bbb9e5

Posted

Thanks all...

Tried satellite link, but the fine print says the high-speed version doesn't work with Mac ...

Re Alice, I think Alice is now O2, and they already said they can only offer me the surf stick.

Question: when I researched Vodofones's LTE a month ago, the website said it wasn't available for my building. Now clicking on the link above, the website says it is available, but only "bis zu 3,6 Mbit/s schnell: Download bis zu 3,6 Mbit/s Upload bis zu 720 kBit/s".

Is that fast? (Sorry, I'm quite dumb with this stuff.)

Posted

No

Posted

Depending on your definition of "fast". It is not as fast as LTE is said to be (hailed as The Next Generation of Internet and such). However, usually DSL lines used to be (up to 2-3 years ago) between 2 and 3 MB and it was enough for everything - watching streaming, downloading big files, etc. Max On Air, which is what you used to have, has ca. 2 MB. If this was too slow for you, then Vodafon's offer is 30% faster, but not as fast as what Kabel Deutschland is offering (which I know is just rubbing salt, since you can't have it anyways).

Posted

Thanks, donno, for the detailed reply. Sounds good enough for me, as Max on Air was fast enough for me. My only concern now is that Vodofone's website is back to offering me something completely different. I've heard/read so many bad things about Vodofone lately (they promise something then never deliver) that I hesitate to approach them.