English Primary Schools in Hamburg

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

We are looking preferably a bilingual (English-Deutsch) school for our daughter, who is due to start 1st class from Aug'13.

We have visited Phorms - Hamburg (bilingual) and Rudolf-Ross (English Immersiv) Schools, which do offer schooling in English, but so far we had not been able to decide which would be the right choice?

We have already ruled out ISH (intl. school) due to very high fees.

It would be of great help, if you can share your observations/experiences of above two (Phorms & Rudolf-Ross) and any other bilingual / "Eng. Immersiv" school(s) in Hamburg.

Thanks and looking forward for your feedback.

Cheers,

CJ

Posted

Hi CJ, my daughter is not yet school age but I visited briefly

http://www.schule-gartenstadt.hamburg.de/index.php/

and Phorms.

I heard 0 English while at the former and 2 children out of say 50 speaking English at the latter. So, not at all immersion in English in my view. I don't want my daughter drilling the color 'red' and whatnot. And I do not see a school as the place to write a 'rap' (Gartenstadt).

If Hamburg goes public schools full day mandatory then we will not have the option to privately fund tutoring in English on our own in the afternoons on weekdays.

Phorms parents seemed education-minded and I saw the children and teachers working hard but maybe only 2% of the children are native English speakers as most of the foreign children are from non-English -speaking households (e.g., Spanish).

I did not witness a class in session at the other school.

I have found no alternative to ISH in Hamburg and I've looked since the birth of my daughter almost 4 years ago. My husband is a fluent English speaker but he speaks only German to our daughter and I work full time so she gets almost 0 English so I'm not happy about it to say the least.

If you ever want to resort to privately-funded tutoring I would consider chipping in for something jointly with another family.

Posted

We have put together a map of all English immersive / bilingual primary schools (and kindergartens, and creches, and secondary schools) on our website. http://www.hamburgrelocation.de/city-guide-hamburg/children/primary-school/

Posted

Did you make a decision on the schooling? we are in the same situation.

we visited Phorms..I do not mind this school being expensive, but the reviews we read were not so encouraging.

let me know how the school selection went...

Posted

Hi. Have been reading your posts with interest. I moved here 2 weeks ago to work at Airbus. I have brought my 2 children aged 11 and 13 years.

I looked at ISH also but found the fee's too expensive. Has anyone any new information on schools that do accomodate english only speaking children? Or has anyone set up a home schooling group as i may be interested in that option also.

Posted

This post isn't even 2 weeks old, so it's probably still current:

We have put together a map of all English immersive / bilingual primary schools (and kindergartens, and creches, and secondary schools) on our website. http://www.hamburgrelocation.de/city-guide-hamburg/children/primary-school/

Home schooling is illegal in Germany.

Welcome to Toytown (and to Germany).

Posted

In Hamburg the ISH is the only English thing going.

I don't know how long you plan to keep the children in Germany or whether you want your children to learn German or possibly emigrate here but one possibility for Hamburg is, say if you plan to stay for 3 years only and on a budget,

Call the Hamburg School Board and ask about details, time, location of the German-for-immigrant children class. If the commute is good then this might be a low-stress option for their first 6 months in Germany (I don't know how long it's expected to last). That is, not start right in with a regular school.

After they are settled into the German classes, post at Toytowngermany.com in the ads section - hire a tutor for some homeschooling in English geared to your home country. The tutor might also come in handy picking up or dropping off the children places. There are parents in Hamburg homeschooling English via tutors but they are scattered around Hamburg and with children of various ages and fluency levels, and oftentimes the parents speak a third language at home and English is only the schooling language. As a working parent and with 2 children logistics might require that a tutor come to your home unless you can find a good meeting place outside the home.

What I hope for is that your two children go to the same school.

When they start at a German school you might want to get a German tutor to help them with the ropes at first. Which school is correct for them at that time depends.

Posted

Thanks to all for reply on my post.

After visiting 3 German schools, one English Immersiv "Rudolf Ross Schule", Phorms and collecting info about ISH and other bilingual schools, we have finally decided for "Phorms". In our opinion, it was the best available option, where we found several native English speaking teachers & students, which we think is the biggest advantage. At the same time it is also cost effective option compared to too expensive ISH.

In couple of visits, we observed that environment in Phorms was quite creative, engaging and disciplined. Some of the teachers we interacted with were very interactive and relatively open about the culture over there. Of course they don't have lavish space & infrastructure like local schools, but are optimally using the available opportunities and are also associated to the sport complex that is some 5-6 mins walk from school. Recently they also started early Gymnasium classes, hence looking forward we can imagine our daughter going further in the same school...

Posted

Thanks for the info on Phorms.. we are also keeping Phorms as an option...especially if the Hamburg public schools go full day.

Posted

As far as i know all Hamburg primary schools will be full day from coming school year

Posted

I have a similar question. We are coming to Hamburg mid July for 6 months and I've spent hours researching schools. My two sons are learning German weekly and have done so for the past 5 years. I am fluent having been born in Hamburg but I've been living in New Zealand since I was 11 and we don't speak German at home so my sons are not fluent. I have enrolled them in Phorms but I have read on various blogs that they are mainly English taught and the whole idea of coming to Hamburg is to immerse ourselves and our children in German. The immersion schools seem to be further out of the centre of town. I have been in touch with der Katharinenschule and they were very helpful. They seemed to think they will be able to cope at their school even though its fully German.

Does anybody else have any suggestions? I am concerned that my sons will struggle and won't enjoy the experience.

Posted

CJ, I don't have English Immersive experience but have one year experience in RRoss and I would choose Phorms if that fee and location is not a problem for you.

All the best,

Posted

@me_me: Thanks for your feedback.

Posted

Hi Everyone!

I saw this forum about English Primary schools in Hamburg and thought maybe I could help. I read that some of you mentioned hiring a private teacher. Because of this I thought maybe I could offer my help. I am an English teacher from America and I will be moving to Hamburg at the end of July or beginning of August to live closer to my grandparents. I have a degree in Elementary Education with an English Specialty and a Minor in Math. I have been teaching English at Shaoxing University in Shaoxing, China. I have also been tutoring primary, middle, and high school students in my spare time. I did my internship/practice teaching in a 1st grade classroom so I have experience teaching all ages of students. I also hold both American and German passports so I would most likely not need a work permit. My Germany level is pretty good, I can understand a lot but my speaking is a bit slow because I haven't been practicing. (My Father is German and my mother is American.)

If any of you are interested I can send you my CV or resume and am more than happy to have a skype interview with you. I look forward to working with you in the future!

Have a great week!

Sincerely, Gabrielle

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi

Does anyone know of bilingual english german schools for 1 Standard Kid in Hamburg or Hannover area?

Regards

Kmm

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi everyone,

Our son goes to the German vorschule but we are thinking to switch to the bilingual English-German pre-school and school. Are there any parents whose children go to one of these schools in Hamburg? What are your thoughts, comments, experience? Which of the schools would you recommend? I have read both positive and negative comments about all of them, so it is not easy to make up your mind.

Thank you for all your comments and advice!