Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Running etiquette in Munich

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I am from the United States and would generally consider it to be bad taste / rude / poor etiquette to go running in a cemetery.

That being said, I understand that I am living in a different place now and wonder if the etiquette is the same. I ask because I am living in Giesing, and I'd like to find a large, pedestrian-friendly, and beautiful space located within a warm-up walk from my apartment. The cemetery fits that description, but before I go running there, I'd appreciate people's thoughts on whether this would be OK.

In addition, I would appreciate any tips on how any other aspects of running etiquette may be unique or unexpected here in Munich.

Thanks so much!

Posted

Why do you think it ´s poor etiquette to go running in a cemetery, knclouse? Nothing wrong with that ..I mean, you might need a long rest if you run too fast :) ..

Seriously, I reckon it´s great that you consider local feelings but I don´t think people here would care or even notice.

Posted

In Reykjavík there's a cycle/jogging path that runs through a cemetery. I don't think the dead people mind.

Here's the same question answered: http://bestatterweblog.de/darf-man-auf-dem-friedhof-joggen/ They seem to think that is it ok to run through a graveyard as long as you are not being loud.

Posted

Thanks so much -- I very much appreciate your responses! Being new to town, I certainly don't want to offend (and don't want to encourage the reputation of the thoughtless, self-centered American). Hopefully the sidewalks will be a little less slippery this weekend so I can enjoy a beautiful and peaceful run in the Ostfriedhof cemetery!

Posted

Lots of people run in the cemetery near Josephsplatz. Although no-one has been buried there for a while, don't know if that makes a difference to sensibilities!

Posted

I don´t really know about "running etiquette", but something I have noticed is that walkers will happily greet you, and many runners/joggers just totally ignore other people. I find this very rude, unless the poor runner is obviously totally out of breath, but it happen so often that it rather narks me, so please remember to great anybody else you happen to cross paths with!

Posted

A lot of joggers listen to music while they´re running and don´t notice anything else, Rob. You´re right!

Posted

I don´t really know about "running etiquette", but something I have noticed is that walkers will happily greet you, and many runners/joggers just totally ignore other people. I find this very rude, unless the poor runner is obviously totally out of breath, but it happen so often that it rather narks me, so please remember to great anybody else you happen to cross paths with!

Americans may find that compared to home, Bavarians almost never greet/smile at strangers walking/jogging in the city. Except for three situations: You're hiking in the mountains (or stumbling down from Andechs), you're praising/petting their dog, it's Wiesn season.

Posted

Lots of people run in the cemetery near Josephsplatz. Although no-one has been buried there for a while, don't know if that makes a difference to sensibilities!

That cemetery is dedicated as a park but you still have to follow certain rules. No sports except possibly chess, no running, no leapfrog over the gravestones.

Cemeteries are strictly Do Not Jog areas. If your German is sufficient read the regulations which probably hang at every entrance. Excerpt from the Friedhofssatzung:

§ 6 Verhalten auf dem Friedhof

(1) Jeder hat sich auf den Friedhöfen der Würde des Ortes entsprechend zu verhalten. Die Anordnungen des Friedhofspersonals sind zu befolgen.

(2) Jeder hat sich auf den Friedhöfen so zu verhalten, dass kein anderer gefährdet, geschädigt oder mehr als nach den Umständen unvermeidbar behindert oder belästigt wird.

(3) Insbesondere ist es nicht gestattet,

a) den Friedhof, seine Einrichtungen und Anlagen zu verunreinigen oder zu beschädigen;

B) der Örtlichkeit nicht entsprechende Gefäße (z. B. Konservendosen, Einmachgläser, Flaschen, Blumenkisten) innerhalb des Friedhofs zu hinterstellen;

c) batteriebetriebene Grablichter zu verwenden;

d) die Wege mit Fahrzeugen aller Art zu befahren, ausgenommen Kinderwagen, Rollstühle, Handwagen, städtische Dienstfahrzeuge und Kraftfahrzeuge mit Genehmigung nach § 7 Abs. 7 sowie Kraftfahrzeuge von außergewöhnlich gehbehinderten Personen, deren Schwerbehindertenausweis mit dem Vermerk „aG“ im einfahrenden Fahrzeug sichtbar angebracht ist, jedoch nicht an Samstagen, Sonn- und Feiertagen. Die Fahrgeschwindigkeit darf 10 km/h nicht überschreiten. Fahrräder dürfen geschoben werden. Fußgänger haben immer Vorrang; im Übrigen gilt die Straßenverkehrsordnung.

e) Waren aller Art oder gewerbliche Dienste anzubieten, Druckschriften zu verteilen oder irgendwelche Werbung zu betreiben;

f) Ehrensalut zu schießen;

g) Tiere mitzuführen; ausgenommen Blindenhunde;

h) frei lebende Tiere zu füttern;

i) in Friedhöfen zu lärmen, zu spielen oder zu lagern.

Die Friedhofsverwaltung kann Ausnahmen zulassen, soweit sie mit Ordnung und Zweck des Friedhofs vereinbar sind.

(4) Während der Bestattungsfeierlichkeiten haben nur Trauergäste Zutritt in die Aussegnungshalle.

I would think that (3)i) applies: No noise, no playing.

Posted

Jeez, sarabyrd. My first sexual intercourse thing ( attempted only ) with a young fellow ( nearly wrote fellatio ) teenager was in a cemetery. Glad I didn´t know the rules... :D

Posted

Glad you added teenager... although even that leaves room for doubt...

Once got admonished by a policeman for sitting on the outside wall of a cemetery and daring to eat in public (sandwich or pie or something of that ilk). Young ladies do neither of course.

Posted

There's a cemetery in Dortmund that has a fitness course built in. No lie.

Probably OK if you steer around other visitors: certain behaviours should be avoided e.g. any parcour moves, hurdling the mounds, Pulling a Lynndie at funeral parties, that sort of thing.

Posted

Sometimes as a jogger you need to run through the dead center of Munich to get to the other side.