Old & forgotten bank account closed by bank

21 posts in this topic

Posted

You guys were really helpful the last time I had a question. Please allow me to ask a new one quickly:

I am moving back to Germany after 5 years - I lived there from 2006-2008. I am a Swedish citizen.

Today I was in Berlin to do some practical stuff and went to my old bank - Deutsche Bank.

I had a basic account with them back in 2008 - no credits, no cards, no nothing, just totally basic. (I practically had no income either)....

I left the account open when I left Germany - with almost nothing on it (something like 50 EUR maybe) . . . I ASSUMED it would just stay open/available with that small amount on it until whenever I would need it again.

When the lady at the counter used my passport to find me - I didn't remember the account number - she gave me the most ironic response:

1) I can't find anyone on your name. You don't exist in our records anymore as we probably closed your account.

2) Although I can't find you, you are probably now in Schufa since your account probably went to a minus from the yearly "Gebühren" - and we never heard from you.

My response was this: You never contacted me! I wasn't aware that there were yearly fees (there aren't in my Swedish bank). And I never heard anything from anyone.

So apparently my account has gone below zero because of fees (which add up over 5 years) and was closed at some stage. But I'm not even sure - since now they can't see me from the branch anymore. Still the lady said I would probably be in Schufa as I probably still owed them whatever minus was on my account when it was closed. She was pretty rude.

My problem is this: I don't want to be in the Schufa - and I need to open a bank account - both for myself and the company I am about to establish (I will work as a free lancer from March).

I have two questions:

1) What is the procedure with a bank in this situation (I had no overdraft agreement - so any minus came from whatever fees they applied to my account) . . . Do I even owe them anything if they can't find me anymore? They haven't written me EVER in the meanwhile - at least not here in Sweden (they might have to my old German address although I wouldn't know) ... I'm hoping that maybe they just closed my account and wrote off the loss? I mean if they write off the loss they can't still have a Schufa claim on me - or?

2) - This is the most important question: Will SCHUFA even know me when I move back? Many people in Sweden have the same name as I do - probably some the same birthday too. And I have a different passport number to the last time I was in Germany (the old one expired) . . . So when I re-register to the country after 5 years - will my old Schufa records even be linked together with me again? And if they will - how are Schufa then able to asses that I'm the same person as 5 years ago and not just a newcomer with the same name? As you may notice I'm hoping that they won't.

I'd be so grateful if some of you were able to enlighten me on the two questions above - especially 2 - as I'd rather not do anything about the matter at all and just open a new account with a different bank when I re-register in Germany. Pretend it never happened - which is fair enough since no one ever contacted me and the lady at Deustche Bank couldn't even find me... I mean - if I owe anyone money it shouldn't be me chasing them to find out how to pay it - it should be the other way around, right?

Thanks so much in advance.

Posted

Welcome back to Toytown, per37.

I couldn't find question B in your post so I guessed you meant 2). :D

Usually the search box (top right) will find any existing topics on what you might need in Toytown. Just put 2 or 3 key words in and, if you don't already get swamped with relevant threads, then hit the google-powered site search button you'll be seeing. That'll pull all posts featuring your keywords.

Out of the multiple threads on SCHUFA I’ve sorted a few out for you to read through where I think you’re most likely to find the links and explanations on getting a report on your SCHUFA record.

· How long does bad credit stay on your SCHUFA? - Is there an expiration period like in the US?

· Applying for a loan or credit card online - Berlin - Will my SCHUFA be affected?

· SCHUFA and one late payment of phone bill - Will one late payment of phone bill affect SCHUFA?

· Obtaining a SCHUFA credit report online - Check up on your credit status in Germany

· SCHUFA negative credit rating - Frankfurt - How to sort out when no credit ever owed

HTH

2B

Posted

Thank you very much for these links. They are very helpful in general, however none of them answer the two questions I post in this thread. So I'd still kindly ask if anyone were able to enlighten me on those two questions (especially number 2!).

Posted

Sorry, per, that I didn't take the time to read all those threads through for you in advance.

I'll consider trying to improve my performance to suit your needs in future.. .. or NOT!

PLEASE, take note of the advice contained in the paragraph about the Search box above those links.

YOU can then find more archived information on SCHUFA and the other 20+ related threads.

I KNOW that the information you need has been posted multiple times on several of those threads by YL6 (Yorkshire Lad6).

Try to show some initiative please. No-one here has time to spoon-feed other members.

2B

Posted

Thanks for your reply. I searched around for topics related to Schufa for some time before posting - and was not able to find a situation matching mine. I certainly had no intentions of spamming!

In any case I suppose I should ask a lawyer. If, however, in the meanwhile, anyone has the heart and time to answer my question nr. 2 - whether or not that should be a second time around - I should be deeply grateful. But thank you for sharing those links anyway, will trawl through them all in time. :)

Posted

I didn't think, or suggest, you were spamming, but your question, whilst obviously of importance to you, is very specific and you are in fact best placed to find the answer yourself. Ask SCHUFA directly by using the facilities they offer for dealing with such questions.

As for the problem you encountered with the lady from the Deutsche Bank, that is a typical story of the expat experience in Germany. The lady appears to have been out of her depth and your enquiry probably went beyond her experience, training, pay grade or the limit of her imagination. It is not unusual banking practice in Germany to assume that customers are familiar with the bank's AGB (T&Cs). You probably overlooked some part of the German clauses in the contract your account was opened under. Germany is a country full of regulations, rules and fixed mindsets.

Write a letter outlining your problem in temperate language and send it by snail mail to the manager of your old branch with copies to the head of customer relations for private accounts, the CEO at their headquarters and the head of public relations, (paying for it to go to the CEO by registered post with a request for confirmation receipt), sending copies also by email. That's the most likely way you will get the problem taken care of effectively.

Good luck.

2B

Posted

Sorry, per, that I didn't take the time to read all those threads through for you in advance.

I'll consider trying to improve my performance to suit your needs in future.. .. or NOT!

PLEASE, take note of the advice contained in the paragraph about the Search box above those links.

YOU can then find more archived information on SCHUFA and the other 20+ related threads.

I KNOW that the information you need has been posted multiple times on several of those threads by YL6 (Yorkshire Lad6).

Try to show some initiative please. No-one here has time to spoon-feed other members.

2B

Hmm, so basically you are giving advice, without first reading what it contains? I don't think there is any need for you to be so abrasive in your response. Being a bit politer would be an improvement in your performance.

Posted

Because of meddlingmuddyredmist, this thread just popped to the top, so I only just became aware of it.

1. Unless the bank actually chase you with the debt then they probably lost it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, as the may have assigned it to a debt collector, although it's more likely they simply wrote it off when they realised that you were no longer in Germany by virtue of no money moving around your account and their letters being returned
  2. Schufa will almost certainly know when you move back. They have a variety of ways of matching old records with new starting with your name and date of birth, which unless you are called "John Smith" is likely to be unique enough.

I recommend you make a request to Schufa for your current records. I'll leave it to you or the meddling interventionist (as he seems to have little else to do) to work out how to do this using the helpful links in earlier posts. You can get basic information on yourself once a year for free. This will at least put your mind at rest, or give you a chance to dispute any entries and clear your name.

Posted

This YorkshireLad6-nobody is absolutely right - you should really contact Schufa. You can easily check the records by registering online.

When the poster above eventually finds his misplaced sex life, he might be able to tear himself away from the computer and relearn how to function as a normal human being in society, learning one of life's most important lessons: speak to people rudely, and eventually one of them will break your nose. I would be very happy to carry this task out for him.

Posted

Yes, and another difference between you and I is, you think your toytowngermany.com reputation actually means something in the real world...

Posted

...and you think someone cares about your insults, but you still come here to get help and advice.

Posted

Ooops! I appear to have missed the restarted activity on this thread.

Hmm, so basically you are giving advice, without first reading what it contains? I don't think there is any need for you to be so abrasive in your response. Being a bit politer would be an improvement in your performance.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinion on my performance, muddymettledredmist.

It's always a pleasure to know that people actually read some of the stuff one has taken the trouble to post. It would be even more of a pleasure to know they were reading, and comprehending, all of the content though. Unfortunately, it appears you have either missed or overlooked some of the subtler nuanced points of the prior discussion. As my performance seems of some importance to you I will attempt to help you by elucidating them for your benefit. Not sure why my performance on the politeness aspect fell so short of your expectations as I seemed to have at least started out my futile attempt to assist the OP on the right note.

so basically you are giving advice, without first reading what it contains?

erm, no! I will admit that I did not re-read the threads during the 16 minutes between the OP and my first response. To do so would have resulted in my wasting time on a redundant task to nobodies advantage. I've taken the liberty of highlighting some of the key words and phrases in the following quotes. Please hit the blue notes to expand the full quotes. You may then see that I had hinted very pointedly at threads the OP should read. The reason that I did so was that, having read every one of them during the last 38 months, I already KNEW with some certainty that they DID contain the answers he needed.

In case it isn't obvious to any readers at this stage, please let me take a moment to explain why I felt sure that the OPs expectations in relation to the questions he posted in TT were unrealistic. SCHUFA will NOT release detailed information about an individual's record except to the individual concerned. The only source of the information he wanted IS SCHUFA. With the best will in the world NO-ONE else, but SCHUFA, could have done more than provide him with a speculative opinion.

Usually the search box (top right) will find any existing topics on what you might need in Toytown. Just put 2 or 3 key words in and, if you don't already get swamped with relevant threads, then hit the google-powered site search button you'll be seeing. That'll pull all posts featuring your keywords.

Out of the multiple threads on SCHUFA I’ve sorted a few out for you to read through where I think you’re most likely to find the links and explanations on getting a report on your SCHUFA record.

· How long does bad credit stay on your SCHUFA? - Is there an expiration period like in the US?

· Applying for a loan or credit card online - Berlin - Will my SCHUFA be affected?

· SCHUFA and one late payment of phone bill - Will one late payment of phone bill affect SCHUFA?

· Obtaining a SCHUFA credit report online - Check up on your credit status in Germany

· SCHUFA negative credit rating - Frankfurt - How to sort out when no credit ever owed

HTH

2B

I've got to split this post due to the MultiQuote limit so please bear with me for a few minutes.

More to come...

2B

Posted

I would very much appreciate it, 'muddymettledredmist', if would please take care to note the timestamp info on each of the posts which preceded your own first contribution.

16 minutes

3 minutes

Thank you very much for these links. They are very helpful in general, however none of them answer the two questions I post in this thread. So I'd still kindly ask if anyone were able to enlighten me on those two questions (especially number 2!).

10 minutes

2B

You may not appreciate it, if you yourself have not already invested a considerable amount of your free time in adding pertinent and useful data to the archived community knowledge of a forum such as TT, but after a few hundred times of trying to help folk it is not always easy to resist the temptation to be just a tad sarcastic when an OP, who has just been directed to survey the content (not the Topic Titles) of several threads which would take most readers the best part of an hour to read and comprehend, bounces back 3 minutes later to announce "none of them answer the two questions I post in this thread. ".

Even moreso when his OP had started with A question and ended up with a total of 5 questions dotted around the text. I had, I thought, already turned in a fairly acceptable performance in providing a useful answer within 16 minutes of his OP. The fact is he could have already got as much as he could hope get by opening this topic if he had simply put the word SCHUFA in to the TT search box.

In fact, if you read the OP carefully, you may see that the reasons that he acquired a potential problem with either Deutsche Bank or SCHUFA were entirely of his own making. He included the causes of the problem and, by following the logic he had applied, the answers too. Again, I've highlighted those points (plus the variety of questions) in this quote of his OP:

You guys were really helpful the last time I had a question. Please allow me to ask a new one quickly:

I am moving back to Germany after 5 years - I lived there from 2006-2008. I am a Swedish citizen.

Today I was in Berlin to do some practical stuff and went to my old bank - Deutsche Bank.

I had a basic account with them back in 2008 - no credits, no cards, no nothing, just totally basic. (I practically had no income either)....

I left the account open when I left Germany - with almost nothing on it (something like 50 EUR maybe) . . . I ASSUMED it would just stay open/available with that small amount on it until whenever I would need it again.

When the lady at the counter used my passport to find me - I didn't remember the account number - she gave me the most ironic response:

1) I can't find anyone on your name. You don't exist in our records anymore as we probably closed your account.

2) Although I can't find you, you are probably now in Schufa since your account probably went to a minus from the yearly "Gebühren" - and we never heard from you.

My response was this: You never contacted me! I wasn't aware that there were yearly fees (there aren't in my Swedish bank). And I never heard anything from anyone.

So apparently my account has gone below zero because of fees (which add up over 5 years) and was closed at some stage. But I'm not even sure - since now they can't see me from the branch anymore. Still the lady said I would probably be in Schufa as I probably still owed them whatever minus was on my account when it was closed. She was pretty rude.

My problem is this: I don't want to be in the Schufa - and I need to open a bank account - both for myself and the company I am about to establish (I will work as a free lancer from March).

I have two questions:

1) What is the procedure with a bank in this situation (I had no overdraft agreement - so any minus came from whatever fees they applied to my account) . . . Do I even owe them anything if they can't find me anymore? They haven't written me EVER in the meanwhile - at least not here in Sweden (they might have to my old German address although I wouldn't know) ... I'm hoping that maybe they just closed my account and wrote off the loss? I mean if they write off the loss they can't still have a Schufa claim on me - or?

2) - This is the most important question: Will SCHUFA even know me when I move back? Many people in Sweden have the same name as I do - probably some the same birthday too. And I have a different passport number to the last time I was in Germany (the old one expired) . . . So when I re-register to the country after 5 years - will my old Schufa records even be linked together with me again? And if they will - how are Schufa then able to asses that I'm the same person as 5 years ago and not just a newcomer with the same name? As you may notice I'm hoping that they won't.

I'd be so grateful if some of you were able to enlighten me on the two questions above - especially 2 - as I'd rather not do anything about the matter at all and just open a new account with a different bank when I re-register in Germany. Pretend it never happened - which is fair enough since no one ever contacted me and the lady at Deustche Bank couldn't even find me... I mean - if I owe anyone money it shouldn't be me chasing them to find out how to pay it - it should be the other way around, right?

Thanks so much in advance.

His next problem (and potential TT thread starter) is already foreseeable too: " My problem is this: I don't want to be in the Schufa - and I need to open a bank account".

Just as when he opened his original Deutsche Bank account and signed to accept the bank AGBs (T&Cs) he, as everybody else who opens a German bank account, will be required to sign authorisation for the bank to report that to SCHUFA in order to either generate a new SCHUFA account or add to an existing one.

I don't think there is any need for you to be so abrasive in your response.

Seriously, do you really consider the following text to be so abrasive? The OP himself didn't appear to, judging by the tone of his response.

2B

If you do then I'd respectfully suggest ToytownGermany may not be the most suitable forum for your needs and sensitivities.

I'm sure there's another forum somewhere missing their gallant white knight.

This YorkshireLad6-nobody is absolutely right - you should really contact Schufa. You can easily check the records by registering online.

When the poster above eventually finds his misplaced sex life, he might be able to tear himself away from the computer and relearn how to function as a normal human being in society, learning one of life's most important lessons: speak to people rudely, and eventually one of them will break your nose. I would be very happy to carry this task out for him.

Being a bit politer would be an improvement in your performance.

If I were you I'd read that advice you were generous enough to hand out and take note of it personally. Perhaps you should take a moment or two to consider why you felt the need to bring your assumptions about the sex life of a stranger up on a thread relating to banking and credit rating matters.

...learn how to function as a normal human being in society, learning one of life's most important lessons: speak to people rudely, and eventually one of them will break your nose. I would be very happy to carry this task out for him.

I think I've been functioning quite satisfactorily as a human being in society so far. As for the definition of what a 'normal' human being might be : the jury have been out so long that the case has been left without a judge. I haven't had my nose broken for at least 14 years, but If it really would make you very happy to try then there's nothing I'd rather do than provide you with the opportunity. From what I've read of your posting history you might want to get in some serious training to meet your fighting weight first.

I'd recommend you start by reducing your lip!

It was nice to have this opportunity to 'meet', muddymettledredmist, and so thoughtful of you to bring my attention to my faults.

I do hope you find what you're looking for soon.

2B

Posted

fuckin' hell the guy asked 2 simple fucking questions ffs can somebody give the guy 2 simple fuckin' answers?

(don't ask me I don't know feckin jack shit)

Posted

I lived in Germany for seven years, then I left Germany for eight years, leaving my bank account open, but with very little money in it; I also had a credit card that I did not cancel, as when I rang up to cancel it, they wanted me to cancel in writing and I just never got round to writing the letter. Anyway, when I arrived back in Germany at the beginning of 2012, my Shufa Auskunft looked great and showed me as having the bank account and credit card, but when I contacted the bank to reactivate my accounts, they told me that my accounts would have been closed long ago, so I just opened new ones , no problem, I even got a new credit card without a problem. I did have a different passport number but I remembered my last address in Germany, had I not known that, I do not think that Shufa would have known me. However, it was in my interest to be known as during the first seven years that i was living here I was paying all the taxes etc and when the time comes will be eligible for a pension here, so obviously, I did not want to have to start "saving" for the pension again from the beginning when I returned last year.

Posted

Yes, and another difference between you and I is, you think your toytowngermany.com reputation actually means something in the real world...

A positive reputation - such as 2B´s - HAS come from being part of the real world: many people on here know each other personally and many others have gained from his advice and helpfulness. He is not a troll. Your aggression here is uncalled for.

Back to the OP: get your own SCHUFA..nobody else can know the mindset of these people or whether the information is correct or up to date. You need a positive SCHUFA for other reasons - apart from the bank account. It could affect your chances of being accepted for German health insurance, for example.

Posted

just out of interest John from your customer base what percentage are tt users? this Q. just came to me the other day (this is not a piss take question)was just wondering if you actually get something back from tt(given the amout of imput you and 2b give)

Posted

I don´t mind answering that, timezoner. We have c. 80% of our clients over the years from other sources ( I´ve been in the business over 20 years and pre-Toytown most were German) and maybe 20% from Toytown. The Toytown percentage is, however , growing fast - as is the other modern source: Google!

We get calls and emails and Skype messages from all over the world these days - it´s the technology.

But I must say I enjoy being part of the Toytown crowd and hope I can help as much as possible for many years to come.

Posted

You are being very judgemental, muddy. If you´d been a member longer, you´d have been able to follow many true life stories here where people have genuinely been very helpful. This forum has been a lifeline for very many people with problems and I hope will continue to be - maybe you´ll need help one day and someone comes along and gives you great advice. Then you may well change your tune.