Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Living Room Concert

13 posts in this topic

Posted

O ye singers! Come sing yer ballads, arias, love songs, and uptempo theatrical gems in a cosy, friendly living-room concert. I'll provide the venue - my warm living room comes complete with a nice keyboard. You come with an accomplished singing voice, sheet music for the pianist, and perhaps a drink or hors d'oeuvre to share. Let's keep it small and intimate.

Each singer is allotted 15 minutes in which to sing 3 selections. We also need 2 generous accomplished pianists who would love to participate. This could be a great opportunity to meet other musicians, and to be exposed to new music. On occasion, I may be persuaded to make my famous three tier Guinness chocolate cake! :-)

1. Singer: Blair, lyric mezzo: singing Harold Arlen, Rodgers & Hammerstein, and Bach.

2. Singer:

3. Singer:

4. Singer:

5. Singer:

6. Pianist:

7. Pianist:

Send further inquiries to me via PM. Address details will be sent to participants prior to the event.

Hope to meet you soon!

Blair

post-134623-13601010886454.jpg

Posted

Not to sound offensive but "ballads, arias, love songs, and uptempo theatrical gems in a cosy" sounds a bit pretentious, most people I've met so far in Berlin are into Jazz, Pop, Rock, Blues, Country. Maybe try again without limiting the Genre of music but rather the type to acoustic. Just a thought. Good luck with the event, sounds like it could be fun...I have to work. :angry:

Posted

Sweetie, those people who are into jazz, pop, rock, blues, and country music have other venues. Mine is for "pretentious" people who spent thousands of dollars at university learning how to sing classical music, which is what I did and what I sing best. I'm going to assume that you KNOW that classical music isn't just for the rich and mighty, hoity-toity of the world. Allow me to disabuse you of the notion that people in Berlin do not sing classical music. There are so many classical singers in this city, from all over the world, who sing at Aria Night in Mitte, or at Theaterhaus Mitte, the three major opera companies, and at other various venues in Germany. Singing is what prompted my move to this country (them, too), and I would like to continue however I can. I hope that's alright with you, but if not, I don't really give a rat's behind.

Blair

Posted

Wow...what a rude response to what was intended as a friendly gesture.

Posted

Hi there

What a wonderful idea turning a little negative.

I'm not a classical singer, nor have I spent thousand of $$$ learning to sing, but I did sing professionally for 6 years,loved it and was pretty good at it too. I understand if your intention is not to have karaoke singers at your venue, but why not play it by heart and embrace people with the same passion as you. You never know there could be some undiscovered talents out there who would be really nice to meet and connect with. Just a thought....

Kiwidane

Posted

Kiwidane,

You would be welcome to join, of course. Notice that my advert did not mention anything about "professionally-trained, thousands in debt" singers. That was for RTM's benefit. My only stipulation was that singers come prepared.

RTM: If this is you friendly, we certainly wouldn't get along at all. I found your message rude, and completely unnecessary. Anything prefaced with "Not to sound offensive..." is bound to be.

Blair

Posted

Thank you Blair

I would love to come should this event take off.

I should add though that it has been a while since I last song professionally so to come prepared might be a challenge. If you are happy with me "playing it by ear" I will most certainly be there and join in when/if possible.

Bye for now

Kiwidane

Posted

Hi blair

Am interested in your concert arrived here from spain 6 months ago after singing in a group there for the last five years, along time since I've sang to a piano ,usually use backing track

Sing anything anything from Ava maria to show tunes,and a little pop, not been able to find a singing group her in berlin. Can't read music and have never sang professionally but can do harmonies and solos

I really miss my music since I came here I'm friends with kiwidane

Look forward to hearing from you

Spanish eyes :)

Posted

As stated, I was not intending to be rude. It seemed as if you were attempting to meet other singer/musicians. I simply offered an opinion on how to do so, since at the time, nobody was responding to your thread. I also wished you luck with the event and stated my disappointment at being otherwise occupied because it sounded interesting, not sure how that translates to rude, but to each their own.

Please keep in mind it is difficult to convey tone in a written forum. You want nothing to do with me, I'm OK with that. I send my apologies at having, somehow, offending you, and agree that we probably wouldn't get along. Again good luck with the event, it still sounds very interesting & hope you all have fun.

Bye now.

Posted

I didn't see this post before, but it sounds like a great idea! In another life I was a musical theatre performer (with some classical training) but it's been awhile--I wouldn't be ready with sheet music etc tomorrow, but if you do this again sometime I'd definitely be interested.

Posted

Hi, again, all!

Please don't feel bad about having not sung recently, Kiwi. I haven't, either, which is why I'm doing this. Just bring your sheet music along and we'll figure it out. Camille, I'll be sure to post again soon. I was the opposite - classical training with some musical theater. Wish I could have gone all the way, but I'm a terrible actress. :( Spanish eyes, would love to meet you to talk finding a group - there are lots here!

Blair

Posted

I have done some public singing, have had lessons and (I am told)have a fine voice. But I have not sung for a very long time. Would it be possible to "audition"?

Posted

Hi Blair sorry we didn't get to talk yesterday I at amrite I was one end table you were the other ,then could go afterward for drinks as my husband was ill but hopefully meet up again soon

Bobbie Spanish eyes