How to soften a hard avocado

30 posts in this topic

Posted

I bought two avocados on Saturday and left them out to soften. Nix - they were still as hard as several rocks this evening.

By now, I have peeled them, taken out the pit and chopped them to smithereens in the food processor after adding a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Smooth is not the word I would apply to the result.

So, for next time, how do I soften an avocado to ensure a scrumptious homemade guacamole experience?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Posted

I seem to remember someone recommending putting them in a drawer away from light for a couple of days, sarabyrd. I don´t do this because I´d forget about them!

Posted

emacintyre's suggestion is good.

If you want lemon juice and the lemon is really hard, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then roll the lemon back and force with force and weight. After you cut and squeeze/ream it, you'll get a lot more juice.

Posted

Well if its one of the green ones then good luck. The old banana in a brown bag trick is void with those green ones.

Posted

What mlovett said. I use the fruit and bag trick. But as perdido said, some of the damn avocados here never, ever get soft. They just eventually turn black and die. Different type than you get in California.

Posted

I ate fresh cherimoya and soursop [guanábana] for the first time in my life last month. TO DIE FOR. Best things I've ever tasted in my life, seriously. Hope I can grow them! I give up on most store bought avocados, and am now growing my own. Make that *trying* to grow.

Hilo avocados are enormous and round, like a small soccer ball. Flavor was so-so, so I didn't bring the seed home.

Posted

http://www.ehow.com/how_7411414_soften-hard-avocados.html

I am NOT responsible for the insurance ads on this!!!

By the way, I planted an avocado tree in Brazil c.1976. No idea what happened: the house with garden belonging to my ex-father-in-law was sold!

In my heart , I hope it´s a massive but massive but really massive and wonderful tree.

Mlovett: my first avocado eating was in Colorado whilst hitchhiking! ( First REAL uncanned pineapple, too! ) :)

Posted

I come from Avocadoland! Won't help you at this stage, but I future always keep hard avocados in the dark, ie in a cupboard or something.

Eta: I suppose that's the reason for the brown bag trick. It's not about the bag, it's about the darkness.

Posted

Definitely in a bag with some overly ripe fruit or bury it in a bowl full of flour. This will also trap the gas and ripen the avocado.

Next time leave the green ones and get yourself the Sofort Genießen variety. ;-)

Posted

I read recently that you can ripen green Avocado's real fast in a microwave. I cook yellow bananas this way and they are great with some cinnamon (just don't overdo it 'cos they explode) Voice of experience here.

Posted

I did some rock hard avocados in the micro wave. It sort of did the job, put in enough other stuff for the guacomole that no one noticed. They still have that raw taste, but they will soften some, at least enough to be mixable. Take the seed out first and nuke it in a covered container or in a bowl with cling film over it.

Posted

Putting raw fruit in a tub of raw rice works, but it needs to be completely covered in it. 2 days later its good to go :)

Posted

Not exactly an answer to your question, but Aldi has been carrying preripened avocados lately (vorgereift). They are ready to eat and have been delicious.

Posted

Wonderful ideas, thank you all! I'll go for the vorverdaute vorgereifte avocados next time.

Posted

I wrap them in newspaper and put them on the windowsill in the "sunshine" for a few days. Eventually does the trick.

Posted

Yeah like most people here I've always used the brown bag, newspaper, or in the sun method. I've also heard storing them with tomatoes helps. It is a shame that it seems the smooth green skinned ones (not sure what variety it is) are the most common here.

Posted

If you need them tomorrow, then forget-about-it! Keeping them in a dark place to let them ripen over a week is the only slow trick. I usually wrap them in a tea towel and put them on the heater, turning them so the sides ripen evenly. That takes about two days if your radiator is on, natch!

Posted

I ate fresh cherimoya and soursop [guanábana] for the first time in my life last month. TO DIE FOR. Best things I've ever tasted in my life.

Guanabana juice is awesome, I prefer it with milk but some crazy people make it with water only.