Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The New Microsoft Surface

24 posts in this topic

Posted

So while I was in the US, I decided to buy a replacement computer (I currently have a netbook). I was looking for something similar to my netbook (think small, light and long battery life). As I was walking through the mall, I saw a Microsoft kiosk and decided to check out the Surface. I eventually bought it and spent two days messing around with it before I took it back.

There are really only 2 main reasons why I took it back:

1. it's more of a tablet than a PC. It's app-based, not program based. Because it's a product of Microsoft, you're limited to apps only for Windows. When I tried to download the Google Chrome app, it wouldn't let me.

2. It's advertised at $499, but after it was all said and done, I ended up paying about $600. The snap in keyboard is about $120 and if you want any kind of warranty/protection, that's an extra $99.

The good news is that Microsoft has released the PC version of the Surface and you can get away from Microsoft programs if you like. Unfortunately, they told me it's around $800. Considering I can buy a netbook for around $300, I think I'll just get another netbook and be done with it.

Posted

PR disaster by Microsoft to not make the difference between the Pro and RT versions more clear. And you're right, the Pro doesn't make any sense for household use, it's targeted at a very specific group (business users).

Posted

Just got an e-mail from Microsoft. They're starting to preview the Surface Pro, starting at $899.

Ha, Allershausen...I've got no idea!

Posted

I heard yesterday that the pro version with 64GB only actually has 24GB free space for your data, the rest taken by the O/S & apps.

As a tablet I think it is a disaster because of the pricing. The O/S might work with touch, but the apps needs to be adapted and after playing with it for a few minutes I found that the text, menus, icons etc. were really too small for a tablet and still more PC orientated.

As a laptop with touch capability then it might be different, but then I would get one of these combo devices and not the surface. But I would not consider it for a tablet device.

Posted

Thats right I heard the OS takes 2/3 rd's the memory, but you can add extra memory with a mini or micro SD card

Posted

A simple 64GB SD card would solve the 'problem'.

And I disagree about the pricing of the Surface Pro, it is actually very competitive. Check out the premium ultrabook market and the Pro slots straight in among the flagship models of Samsung, Sony, Dell etc. Not sure what you mean by 'apps need to be adapted', the Pro (with the TypePad) is a full fledged computer with a trackpad. And the size of the text, menus, icons can all be customized to your preference. My dad does a lot of traveling and he's getting the Pro, so hopefully it should be good.

Posted

Tablet or PC?

In Its latest incarnation, its a tablet with an attachable keyboard. And like all other things running Windows 8 it sucks.

Microsoft also has/had another project/device called Surface (now renamed PixelSense), which is a huge table sized

smart computer. Something like the ones you see on CSI. That is cool, but this new thing sucks.

One thing to watchout for is that whatever size (storage) you decided to get the OS and its various files

may/will take up half of the storage space. Thus less for user programs and files. Yes, you can add in

a microSD card but thats not the point. A device sold with say 32GB of storage should make the full 32GB

avail. to the customer. The OS should live in another memory area. This to me seems like false advertising.

Android devices are not marketed like this and usually have all the storage advertised, avail. to the user.

(minus perhaps a little for the filesystem/formatting process)

The devices are more expensive than similar Android devices, which also have better hardware specs.

They also still suffer from a few design issues that Microsoft has yet to fix.

These things are best avoided. If you want a Tablet, go get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 or if you want

something with a hardware keyboard attached, an Asus Transformer.

post-2089-13600601218573.png

Posted

Or get the most popular and best supported tablet out there - the iPad. Strange you forgot to mention the leading tablet on the market Darkknight.

Posted

And Windows 8 is a complete screw up in my book. They should have had a pure metro experience (ie. No confusing desktop, which is impossible to use properly on the tablet anyway) for the tablet, and kept this full screen metro nonsense out of the desktop completely where it simply doesn't work.

Posted

DK said:

A device sold with say 32GB of storage should make the full 32GB

avail. to the customer. The OS should live in another memory area. This to me seems like false advertising.

Android devices are not marketed like this and usually have all the storage advertised, avail. to the user.

(minus perhaps a little for the filesystem/formatting process)

I have a Samsung S2 advertised as 16GB, after a hard reset ( factory reset) I only have 11GB of space.

It seems they all false adverise.

Posted

Except for Apple, where you get 16GB when you buy a 16GB iPad/iPhone (allowing for the megabyte/1000 conversion).

Posted

The difference is with an ipad is that upgrading from 32 to 64 Gb means buying a new tablet.

Upgrading a good Android or Microsoft tablet involves buying a 32Gb microSD card for €15.

Posted

While in theory you can upgrade Android with an SD card, as Pas has found, you can't always use that external memory the way you want to. For example, he can't download songs from Spotify to the external memory. So it's not (always) seamless,

Posted

True, but I tend to see that as a Spotify limitation not an Android one.

You can't download songs from anywhere to a full tablet with no expandable storage (Like the ipdad or the nexus 7).

This is getting off topic now though.

My point was that although the Microsoft Surface RT is a POS, the storage limitation is not the big issue that many would choose to make it, and the Apple 'solution' is even worse.

What I see at the moment is that the limitations of the RT mean that it is a poor choice. For any of it's supposed advantages one of the competing products will be better.

For some (lots looking at the market share figures) that will be an ipad.

For some that will be an Android tablet of some kind. Heck for some people it will probably be a Kindle.

I could write more about the reasons I don't like the Surface in either it's RT or Pro versions, but since I haven't actually gotten my hands on one it would be a bit pointless.

Posted

While in theory you can upgrade Android with an SD card, as Pas has found, you can't always use that external memory the way you want to. For example, he can't download songs from Spotify to the external memory. So it's not (always) seamless,

Umm. Yes you can. Either via the internal memory first, or use a hack/mod and do it directly.

There are other mods which allow fo the direct installation of Apps to the SDcard. Reinstall

Spotify, direct to the SDcard and it should save downloads there too..

Posted

The difference is with an ipad is that upgrading from 32 to 64 Gb means buying a new tablet.

Upgrading a good Android or Microsoft tablet involves buying a 32Gb microSD card for €15.

The problem is that most good Android tablets do not have a microSD slot.

It is actually very difficult to find a decent full featured Android tablet, the ones with good build quality always lack something, either no microSD, or no GPS, or no 3G, or missing one camera, or stuck in old Android version, etc.

If you want everything you will have to choose a dodgy Chinese tablet.

Posted

Totally agree with you Krieg, but this isn't a discussion about Android tablets (of the dodgy Chinese variety or otherwise).

It's a discussion about the Microsoft Surface.

There are tons of reasons to slate this thing (It's late to market, it's expensive, it doesn't clearly distinguish between the RT and Pro flavours, you can't manage the RT flavour as part of a domain or run Outlook on it etc etc etc).

It's a crap tablet in either it's RT or Pro form, but the storage issue isn't the big failing that people are making it out to be, and the 'solution' to the storage issue that Microsoft have chosen is better than the solution that Google or Apple have chosen.

Posted

@Krieg

So the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (One of the most popular Android tablets) isn't up to your standards?

It has 3G, a MicroSD Slot and front/rear facing cameras.It came with Android 4.0, but has since been updated to 4.1.1/4.1.2

And if that still doesn't do it for you, the Tab 3 10.1 will be out in a few months with even better specs.

Posted

It is OK Darkknight, we all know you get all angry when someone dares to criticize something about Android. The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 was a nice tablet when it came out, but who is going to buy one now with that old dated processor? Plus I am not a fan of Touchwiz. And the update to JB was released not long time ago, so the poor owners were stuck with ICS for long time. Anyway, for Android I prefer 7" tablets, I have a Nexus 7 3G, it is all OK except it does not have a microSD and it is missing one camera, and well, all the usual Android bugs I learnt to live with.

Going back to Surface, the RT has decent hardware, I think it is all the software problem. I think running a full blown OS on a tablet is a waste, but ironically this is exactly what Microsoft is trying to sell as an advantage.

Posted

Except for Apple, where you get 16GB when you buy a 16GB iPad/iPhone (allowing for the megabyte/1000 conversion).

Not true. You get 29GB user space in a 32GB iPad and just over 59GB in a 64GB iPad.

And the point is that people who want a tablet aren't the target market for Microsoft here. It's the enterprise and business users, who require full Windows functionality in the most portable form out out there. I strongly believe MS jumped into actual production only because the OEM's were going nowhere in terms of design. They needed a kick up their arse, which the Surface has done very well. Even if the Surface doesn't sell very well, it's still a win-win situation for MS, as the OEM's are now coming up with great hardware which will run Win8.

Posted

Compared to the iPad 128 GB or premium ultrabooks I do find the Surface Pro to be pretty competitively priced. It runs a complete Windows 8 and can therefore be integrated into a business environment, after all. I can see a large number of potential uses for it. As a private user you don't have such a castrated device as the usual tablet, either.

Posted

Not true. You get 29GB user space in a 32GB iPad and just over 59GB in a 64GB iPad.

I said when taking into the byte/gigabyte conversion (which is a scam, but every hard disk manufacturer does it). Some is used for the OS, but it's small.

Posted

The Surface 128GB is sold out already and only lasted a few hours on the Microsoft store. All three of them.

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-surface-pro-128-gb-sold-out-2013-2