Booked flight to USA without middle names

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I just booked a flight to the US (Los Angeles) with Fluege.de and was asked to enter first and last names and did so for myself, wife and child (4 years old) and it did not occur to me to put in our middle names. Now as the passports have our middle names I am wondering if this should be a problem. The flights are through British Airways and perhaps I can amend the information by calling but I am not sure if this will proove a problem since I booked through a website and not through BA itself.

Does anyone know if not booking with middle names would be an issue either at the gate or in immigration on landing? I have Googled and found that a lot of people do not input their middle names, but most of the search results are not for Germany to US and as the US is security crazy I don't know if I should be worried or not. I am a US citizen but wife and child have German citizenship.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has some experience and can shed some light on this.

Cheers!

Posted

I just had this issue as well, we flew 25 January with US Airways. There was no problem at all at any of our check-ins (eight in total). My middle name was on the registration, my co-traveler's was not.

Posted

hopefully that is the case. the hypersensitivity to security issues worries me a bit though. thanks for the feedback.

Posted

Germans don't "do" middle names (hence a German website won't ask you for middle names), rather they can have double-barreled first names.

Its painful when they convert my British first & middle names into hyphenated :(

Posted

It´s a paranoid world, isn´t it? I remember when my daughter was 7 and we flew to Orlando. She was allowed to go up to the pilot and look out the window. Normal for kids then, I bet..sigh..

By the way, my middle name is William..don´t ever call me that! I freak out!! :D

Posted

I don't remember having the middle names on there, we flew last September. The soon to be ex husband doesn't have a middle name, I have a short one that appears on everything, and my daughter has a long one that will haunt her future and I am sure she will curse me for it. We had no problems.

Posted

Hey Frito, don't fret it. I fly all over the world and never once had my middle name on a ticket, never even been questioned about it.

Posted

The detail on the airline booking is only relevant for the airline. First and Lastname should be sufficient. More important is your correct completion of APIS ("Advanced Passenger Information System"), which is data collected by the airline, usually during the check-in or pre-check-in process to pass to the US Department of Homeland Security computer system for security checks.

Posted

As Yorkshirelad said, it's only on the APIS collected for the government by the airline (most often at checkin) that you would have to put your middle name--they are always very clear at that point that your full name must appear exactly as it does in your passport. Usually airlines have an option for editing this information as well (whereas the ticket would not permit a name change) in order to make sure you don't have any mixups at immigration.

Posted

As a normal rule, booking without a middle name should not be an issue. I have done it for years going to the US and back.

Interesting though, United just sent me an E-mail that they have updated my current booking to include my middle name. I think they noticed after years, when I log on to check in for passport info I have to include the middle name and they wanted to be consistent.

As someone said, I also have a great pic of the kid before 9/11 sitting with the pilot and all the controls. Probably a collectible now.

:

Posted

The detail on the airline booking is only relevant for the airline. First and Lastname should be sufficient. More important is your correct completion of APIS ("Advanced Passenger Information System"), which is data collected by the airline, usually during the check-in or pre-check-in process to pass to the US Department of Homeland Security computer system for security checks.

I agree with this.

Also if you booked through BA then go onto their website, enter the booking reference and then you can 'manage your booking'. This will allow you to update you passenger information, including full names, passport details, address in the US.

I have the issue that my wife has a double-barrelled name, and a lot of travel websites don't like this so they either refuse to accept the hyphen or drop it when you enter it. Either seperating out the names into 2 words, or sometimes combining them into 1 word. But we have so far not had an issue.

Posted

I have never booked a plane ticket with anything fewer than three names, yet only two ever appear on my ticket. Maybe my middle name shows up in the computer system or something, although I kind of doubt it. Firstname Lastname ought to suffice.

Posted

I have 2 first names and 2 last names, so have everyone in my family, I use only one first name and one last name for (almost) everything and I been flying around for more than 20 years without any issue. I think there are roughly 600 or 700 million people in the world doing the same.

Posted

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It puts my mind more at ease.

Cheers!

Posted

I discovered on my last trip that the airline can get up to 3 letters wrong in one's name on one's ticket before it is a problem.

Some years ago, I flew to the U.S. with a different last name on my ticket and passport. I had just changed it and had documentation with me. You may or may not be surprised at how many security checks didn't catch it. Going and coming back.

Posted

I discovered on my last trip that the airline can get up to 3 letters wrong in one's name on one's ticket before it is a problem.

I made a typo in my daughter's first name last December, it is not so easy to book tickets for 5 people using a cellphone app on the go, no one cared.