Looking for wedding locations in Rhein/Neckar area

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all, just in the very beginning stages of planning a wedding in the Heidelberg/Mannheim area. I was thinking of an old and historic location or someplace that really showcases the european essance (I'd like it to be really special for my friends and family traveling from the US). Other than the Heidelberg or Schwetzingen castles, does anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Posted

If you can get to Sinsheim there's a wedding messe http://www.wedding-welt.de/ today. But these things go on all the time. Check out this site for dates

http://www.heiraten-in-heidelberg-mannheim.de/hochzeitsmessen.php

and also venues in the area.

Posted

I've seen many weddings in the Schlosspark in Weinheim. The restaurant in the Schloss is very good, though a bit on the expensive side. In spring or summer the park is beautiful.

http://www.weinheim-marketing.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=81&Itemid=257

Right now, the page seems to be stuck, I hope that's just a glitch.

Posted

Hambacher schloss!

http://www.hambacherschloss.eu/traumhochzeit-auf-dem-schloss-2/traumhochzeit-auf-dem-schloss.html

Very historic and very beautiful.

Posted

Heidelberger Schlosskapelle: http://www.landeskunde-online.de/rhein/hd/schloss/events/heiraten/index.htm

Klosterhof Neuburg, Heidelberg: http://www.klosterhof-neuburg.de/index.php/private.html

Good luck! (Suggested by a Heidelberg friend; I myself don't know anything.)

Posted

I know two couples who got married in recent years at the Schloss in Hirschhorn. How many people are you looking at? Seeking a separate ceremony venue (chapel/church/other?) and reception venue? Or must they be adjacent?

Posted

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Some of these places look great and we will definitely be checking them out!!

We haven't put together a guest list, but it's going to be smaller since we will probably celebrating here and in the US.

As for the ceremony, I haven't figure that out yet either. I know we have to do the standesamt thing so that might be the only ceremony we have here and then do the church thing in the US. But like I said, we're in the very beginning stages of planning. Basically just looking for at least a reception venue so we can book it and set our date!

Posted

You're listed as being in Stuttgart. Why not look closer to home? I mean, I can vouch for some great locations in the area, having gone through the wedding planning and execution phase myself (where I looked at at least 15 venues), but you'll be doing yourself a favor if you don't have to travel so far to look at places. I'm sure the Stuttgart area has plenty to choose from.

But I will warn you, if you are looking for places for this summer 2013, then you're probably too late. We started looking in August 2011 for August 2012 dates and were very lucky because we chose a Friday.

The Weinstraße, the Pfalz are beautiful settings for a wedding. We had U.S. guests too and others from other parts of Germany so we wanted to offer them something as well. About a handful did have nice weekends in the Pfalz. For my US guests we took them to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (not in the Pfalz) and around Heidelberg. But since we live in Mannheim, it wasn't a problem.

Otherwise my top favorites were:

• Burg Battenberg -- The view over the Weinstraße was simply magnificent and there was a charming chapel where we could have gotten married. Location is better suited for 60-70 people, maximum. And it would have been an outdoor barbecue (but very exquisite), no menu service available. On the Weinstraße/Pfalz.
  • Schloss Hambach -- (Festsaal) For large weddings, this would have been ideal, but it was way over our budget!
  • Hoher Darsberg -- This place had it all, but they wanted to charge quite a bit for a wedding planner (which we found superfluous), so we axed that. It's set back in a forested area, secluded, which would have been great for partying! In Neckarsteinach, east of Heidelberg along the Neckar.

Posted

Thanks so much for the suggestions Elfenstar. We do live in Stuttgart now, but my fiance is from the Heidelberg/Mannheim area and all of his friends and most of his family are still there. Plus his parents have plenty of extra space where my family from overseas can stay.

This is all turning out to be somewhat of a nightmare. Our orignal plan was for spring of 2014. Instead, it looks like it will be happening the first week of THIS JUNE!!! It's a really long story, but we will hopefully be saving a ton of money by doing it this year. And since my parents, sister, brother-in-law, and nieces will all be visiting in June, we've decided to try and pull the whole thing off then! =O

It's has been hard finding available places with such short notice, so we're calling as many places as possible to see what our options are. As of right now the Ballsaal in the Heidelberg Stadthalle is on the top of my list, but we haven't gotten ahold of anyone there yet =/.

Posted

June 2013? Good luck, seriously. But if your family is already here at that time, then I understand your desire to do it now.

My question to you: When is the civil ceremony? You can have a church wedding, but you'll have to have an official ceremony of some sort at one point and that involves paperwork. I think it took us about 3 months. There are some threads about that.

I know the Bootshaus in Mannheim does wedding receptions too. It's along the Neckar, maybe not the most romantic location, but on short notice might not be too bad. They have great food, no worries.

Posted

Well I'm hoping to do the civil service in the same manner you would a church ceremony (with me in a gown and my father walking me down an "aisle"). And then we would just have the civil service directly followed by a big reception. This all of course depends on what is available during the week my family is here. I was very surprised though to find all the locations, other than a rathaus, where they perform the civil services.

Oh, and I already have an appointment in Frankfurt this coming Monday to get all the necessary documents.

Posted

June is very popular for weddings, as you've found out - which means the Standesamt is extremely busy (and in popular locations possibly already booked up) - you need to reserve a slot at the Standesamt soonest!

Posted

Well I'm hoping to do the civil service in the same manner you would a church ceremony (with me in a gown and my father walking me down an "aisle"). And then we would just have the civil service directly followed by a big reception. This all of course depends on what is available during the week my family is here. I was very surprised though to find all the locations, other than a rathaus, where they perform the civil services.

Oh, and I already have an appointment in Frankfurt this coming Monday to get all the necessary documents.

Lots of people do it that way nowadays. I think that's what I would have wanted, but my hubbie wanted church. Let us know how it goes!