Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to live in Munich with kindergarten kids?

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Everyone,

We will move soon to Munich with two pre-school kids. We are having difficulties in making a choice of the district to look for an apartment to rent there.

Just for us it would not be difficult: we could live just close to the workplace, but we would like to make a good choice for our children, in terms of such infrastructure like kindergarten (and in a few years a good school) and also possibilities to bring them to gymnastics, swimming and/or other sports, without having to travel hours for these.

German kindergarten would be fine, we don't plan to look for a bilingual one, but would like the kids to get there company and friends whom would show good social and behavioural patterns. Then travelling by U-Bahn or S-Bahn to the workplace in Neuperlach is fine.

Don't need any fancy place, just normal middle-class environment.

By driving around and reading this forum so far I could rule out Neuperlach for living, also Obergiesing and Hasenbergl (that's too far anyway).

People praise Schwabing as a desirable area to live, but as for us it's not a good nightlife, but the activities with the kids the main criterion, we can't judge it from this perspective.

Colleagues advise me to also consider the agglomeration, like Vaterstetten or Poing. (Ottobrunn and Neubiberg don't look bad either.) I think that those are fine to live in, KG should be available, but have no clue about possibilities for other activities for the kids.

I am clueless, any advise is welcome from those whom have similar situation and are more experienced with Munich.

Thanks a lot.

OM

Posted

Hi, we want to rent a 2-3 room flat and are thinking of the range of 1000-1400 EUR Kaltmiete.

Posted

A 2-room flat is not going to be big enough with two children - in Germany, one of those 2 "rooms" will be a living room and the other(s) a bedroom, so you would need at least a 3-room flat, if not a 4-room.

TBH, since the accommodation market is so tight in Munich, I would go at this the other way round - find out where flats in your price range are available, and then check the school situation.

Posted

You're right: we need 3 rooms.

Actually this price range covers all the districts, maybe some fancy ones are left out.

We could live well for 800 in Ottobrunn, just don't know how wise would that be to take, with regards to the mentioned facilities for the children. Have no clue how equipped the districts are with such.

Posted

Ottobrunn has Phoenixbad for swimming, sport club somewhere. Kindergarten, schools and what families with kids wold need. It's just an expensive area. If you go 1-2 districts further south, you might find something cheaper with the mentioned facilities available. Have you tried Putzbrunn, Sauerlach and something else around Ottobrunn? Neubiberg is also expensive and very populated by now. For the quoted number, you might even get a small townhouse to rent further outbound of Ottobrunn? Frankly, haven't checked it out myself, yet.

My husband's wish was Ottobrunn, but the price for what you get is just not justifiable. He picked Brunnthal instead. Haven't seen it, either. But he reported that Ikea there also attracts other stores over time, and it will be growing. As for school, we are also looking. Would like our children to have a smoother start than being thrown into the German public school there right away.

We might keep in touch on this platform for possible play dates of our young children (mine will be 6&4) later when we follow you all down south.

Good luck with the search!

Cambria

Posted

Thanks a lot, Cambria. I checked Phoenixbad and although they don't advertise swimming courses for children, looks interesting. Theres's indeed this TSV Ottobrunn for sport, they are pretty diverse and offer possibilities for kids, too. And kindergartens look more than sufficient. And there's also the Ballettschule Ottobrunn, great.

BTW, just discovered this Sport für Kinder address:

http://www.muenchen.kinder-stadt.de/freizeit.html?unterkat=&tabellenname=sport

I think there are good chances that we choose Ottobrunn. What keeps me cautious with moving further outwards, is that I think that the chances for playground friends for my wife decrease with the distance and I don't want to leave her somewhere isolated, beyond my commuting time increasing. This playground friends issue and the facilities for kids were mainly motivating me to consider places like Schwabing, Bogenhausen and the like.

(I drove to Putzbrunn recently and was not attracting me, appeared to me too small and sleepy, then better Vaterstetten.)

Yes, I'd be glad to have a play date of our kids (mine are 3,5 and 1,5), I also wish you good luck with your relocation.

Posted

My kids and I live between ottobrunn and Putzbrunn, area called Waldkolonie. We are very happy here. Very family orientated area. Lots of open areas and play grounds. My daughter is in the Putzbrunn kindergarten, which is a German public kindergarten. In her class alone are 3 other english speaking children. The community is very close and friendly. All local festivals and activities are geared towards families with children. All you need is relatively close by. I have nothing but admiration for the teaching staff at the Putzbrunn Grundschule where my son goes. Buses aplenty and appartments are reasonably priced.

Posted

Oh and In Putzbrunn there is also a English play group for the very little ones

Posted

JacquieD, that's good to learn. I've noticed Waldkolonie while driving around, looked a cosy place.

Posted

My DIL and her siblings were born in and grew up in Ottobrunn and went through the school system from Kita through Gymnasium. They and their parents were very happy with the schools and all three kids went on to Uni.

Posted

Hi,

I think the point is, there are many nice places in Munich - also for families.

BUT it is not easy to find a flat nor it is easy to find a kindergarden. So you

will have a hard time, finding both not too far away from your jobs.

For the last year before the school, your child will get a place in a city

kindergarden. You have to register until April 10. Further information:

http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stadtverwaltung/Referat-fuer-Bildung-und-Sport/Kindertageseinrichtungen.html

Many private kindergardens are providing the places for September now, so

you would have to be fast. I can recommend this kindergarden, if you want

a learning programm for the 5 year olds. They are prepared for school quite

good here:

www.kindergarten-hein.de/impressum.htm

(what is best in kindergarden is a different discussion, we have

moved, too and have had several different kindergardens - I like kindergardens

where they are outside in nature as well very much, if you search for

Waldkindergarten, you will find many in Munich).

I can recommend living in the west of Munich. We are living in Obermenzing,

a rather quiet nice place. This is important for me, because I want my son

to walk alone to school - which is no problem here. There are nice playgrounds,

too and sportclubs - as in any other parts of Munich. My favorite part of

Munich is Pasing - quite central and nice, with a library, the Pasinger

Fabrik (culture, also for kids) etc. etc. In between is the International

Library in Blutenburg - there you get childrens literature in almost every

language.

If you write, when you want to move and where you will work, the tipps will

be a bit more precise.

If you are able to buy a flat, it will be much easier to find something.

It is surprising easy to get the money from the bank at the moment, and

the flats are getting more expensive every month...

Good luck!

Posted

It also depends a bit on if you will be driving to work or taking the S-Bahn. If you plan to take the train to work every day, then for your own sanity I would only recommend places on the S7 line to make a simple commute for you. If you will be driving, that will greatly expand your choices.

If you are driving, then I would definitely consider Vaterstetten/Baldham, as it has all the infrastructure you are looking for - huge Sportscenter with lots of classes for kids and adults, a local swimming hall (albeit with strange hours), a library, great kindergartens and grammar schools, plenty of parks - definitely family-oriented. It is a bit pricey for a suburb, but you are also paying for the easy access to the great infrastructure. It's only 20 minutes by S-Bahn into the city center, so your wife can get out and about with the kids easily that way.

The rental market is for tight for this area, as it is in most desirable areas in Munich and the surrounding areas. It also depends on if your wife will have a car or not. If you don't need to be within easy walking distance to an S-Bahn, then you can consider places such as Weisenfeld, Neukeferloh, or go further out the S-Bahn line to Zorneding and even Grafing as well.

Keep in mind that the closer a place is to an S-Bahn, the more expensive it will be. And the farther out on the S-Bahn line you go, the less expensive it will be. And when you search, also look for Haus Mieten in these more distant suburbs as you can sometimes get a row house for under 1400 in many areas.

Posted

I can thoroughly recommend the ottobrunn /neubiberg area as well. Most of it has been said already about sports facilities swimming pool kindergartens and schools etc. I love it because although my kids go to German schools they still have some English-speaking friends who they have known since they were really small - maybe more imprtant for me than them ;)

Posted

Dear TTers,

Thank you very much for your hints.

I have finished something I've worked virtually day and night in the past weeks, so have some time again for the Wohnungssuche.

@katheliz: that's encouraging to learn that your relatives had used the local school system so efficiently, it is very important.

@pipeline: thanks for the recommendations. I also would appreciate a KG where the kids can enjoy the nature as well. Regarding living west of Munich: we have pretty much set up our minds for the South, South-East part, for easy commuting and good access to the direction Salzburg.

@leeza: thanks for the tip to also include Haus Mieten in the search. I am thinking of a flat primarily, but I could consider a row house if I find a good one at reasonable price. I do have colleagues living in Vaterstetten and Neukeferloh and they love it, but I think I limit my search to Ottobrunn and Unterhaching for short commuting time by car. (If I pay 1-200 EUR/month more, that I can take as investment in more time spent with my family.)

@allmynamesrgone: yeah, it's like the model train bought to the kids, having Papa playing with it, huh? :)

Posted

I drove around again yesterday in Ottobrunn and Unterhaching and saw some parts of these with high rise buildings. I would not mind to rent a flat in such, except the fear that I get into the middle of a community with acute social problems, like I heard that the similar ones in Neuperlach are likely to be.

Does anyone know these neighbourhoods to advise me pro or contra? Would I regret later to move in one of these, because of the neighbours? :

1. in Ottobrunn: on and around Robert Koch Strasse, near the EADS (Einsteinstrasse, Röntgenstrasse, Marie-Curie Strasse...)

2. in Unterhaching:

2.1. Schmorellstrasse and surroundings (Lehenstrasse - Bozaunweg, Goerdelerstrasse, Leuschnerstrasse, Gruenauer Allee)

2.2. the area limited by Johann-Strauss Strasse and Erzbergerstrasse on 2 sides, on the other sides by Münchner Strasse and Fasanenstrasse

2.3. what about the Fasanenstrasse, Bussardstrasse? (the high blocks of flats to the North of Oskar-von-Miller Strasse)

2.4. Riemenschneiderstrasse and its surroundings

- these all have very good S-Bahn access.

Then I also have noted a new residential area, obviously not cheap, on and around Witneystrasse (Budapester strasse, Brunellenweg), is it worth the money?

For a same price for a same flat is Unterhaching or Ottobrunn a better choice?

Posted

Here's a new idea: if you work in Neuperlach, why not live in Trudering? Family-friendly, there are parks, lots of Kindergartens (for lots of kids too, but that's always the case), quite a few English-speaking families, sports clubs, the Michaelibad nearby, as well as the Riemer See. And you could cycle to work.

Posted

Trudering is a nice area for family life, I agree.

And that's why some of us recommended a townhouse instead of a flat, if you want to be sure about the social issues in the neighborhood. I'd say it depends pretty much on the area itself. Neuperlach flats area ... Well, there were worries/ talks about it already long ago. How things might have changed or not since my last time in Munich, I can't say. I would assume flats in Bogenhausen or Heidhausen are again a different story than the Neuperlach neighborhood. I mean, it's not generally so with flats neighborhood that there has to be social problems associated with it. It depends pretty much on the area itself and the communities living there.

One thing I can say irom my experience is that once having family with kids, Germans tend to prefer moving into a house / getting a penthouse for rent or for purchase, even if they may have to commute a bit longer to work. Yeah, one thing because in such areas, there are already more infrastructure for family life, kids activities in place used by others already there. Small flats are more for singles, couples without children.

The flats near EADS might be fine because they are probably inhabited mostly by people working at the company. How the community there actually is, and whether it will develop to be like Neuperlach or not, that I can't tell. Have not even seen it myself.

Good luck with your choice!

Cambria

Posted

Trudering would fit the bill, then. It's a residential neighbourhood full of stand-alone houses, side-by-side houses, townhouses, mehrfamilien houses (Stadt villa). There are some tall buildings with flats in the Bajuwaren park, but these are new and seem higher-end to me. Also some along the Friedenspromenade, which are a mix of high-end flats to "normal" flats and even some social housing. But the rest is mostly houses. I've heard it's hard to find something to rent in Trudering at the moment, and it's probably more expensive than in Ottobrunn. But it's definitely worth considering.

Posted

I am in a similar situation - in process of moving to Munich with a young family (3 children under 6 years). My office is near Giesing and I am hoping to take the S-Bahn to work in the mornings (leaving my wife with a car).

Prior posts have mentioned Unterhaching. My question relates slightly further south - namely can anyone comment on the suitability of the Oberhaching / Deisenhofen / Furth area? I've been out that way a few times house-hunting and it seems nice, with lots of greenspace. What was less clear was the availability of kids playgroups, play areas / parks, english language playgroups (if any), etc. Appreciate any comments / wisdom the collective group can offer.

Kind Regards,

Rob