Do you find Trip Advisor useful...

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm not really sure what to make of Trip Advisor because I will, for example, look at the reviews of a hotel I've stumbled on finding pages and pages of excellent reviews and the only negative review on page 23 will make me think twice about staying there. Does trip advisor take away some of the fun and intrigue of staying in a new place or is this where the seasoned traveller finds the inside information?

Posted

It's very influential to me on deciding on an hotel in an area I am not familiar with. No hotel (or more accurately hotel visit) is perfect, so there is always going to be a negative opinion or two but the majority comments are always helpful. Hotels that take the time to actually respond to comments made impress me too. Trip Advisor make a lot of effort to vet every review, and avoid bias or schilling. I know this as I had to justify and make minor modifications to a negative review I submitted before they would publish it.

Posted

Sometimes I wonder if we had actually stayed at the same hotel when I read some people's reviews, for example regarding cleanliness, breakfast rooms or the condition of mattresses. Mine were fine, they made it sound like they slept in a dump. So I read as many reviews as possible, sometimes even on different sites, before booking.

Posted

Although I'm aware that there's manipulation going on, AFAIK Trip Advisor makes a real effort to make sure reviews are accurate. Plus as YL6 said, there are bound to be a few negatives - but overall, I find Trip Advisor very helpful when making decisions on what to book, particularly if I'm unfamiliar with the city and/or hotel. However, I also check if I haven't been there in a while - things can change, improve or go downhill, so it's good to see what the current feedback is. And often, as Sarabyrd mentioned, I will check a few different sites if I'm unsure.

Posted

... finding pages and pages of excellent reviews and the only negative review on page 23 will make me think twice about staying there. Does trip advisor take away some of the fun and intrigue of staying in a new place or is this where the seasoned traveller finds the inside information?

same here. but you have to look at the excellent/good reviews and weigh the negative against them. I use TripAdvisor all the time, but I do also compare on other sites as well.

Posted

I mostly give good reviews if the hotel is good. I gave a moderate bad review with some good points for one hotel. I did get a letter saying sorry for the bad experience from Booking.com but my review never appeared. May have been because the hotel was on one floor and they transferred me to another hotel cupboard on a different floor. Anyway here is my review avoid all Hong Kong hotels. I have found all German hotels to be great with huge breakfast bars, Even at the lower end. I stay outside the city parking is much better.

Posted

I only left one review on Trip Advisor after I had a bad experience at a hotel in berlin. So perhaps there is a skew towards more negative reviews because people who enjoyed their visit don't feel so motivated to write about it?

I've found bookings.com to give fairly accurate reviews of hotels. Maybe because everyone who makes a booking through them is asked to give a review afterwards and provided with a link to do so (i.e. less effort than going on Trip Advisor), so it's more balanced?

Posted

Found and booked this place thanks to trip advisor :) http://www.tripadvisor.de/Hotel_Review-g211861-d213034-Reviews-Pax_Guest_House-Dingle_Dingle_Peninsula_County_Kerry.html

Posted

I use Trip Advisor when planning accommodations I haven't used before. I don't put much relevance on most negative comments, as these tend to be reflections of the author's unreasonable expectations rather than the quality of the establishment.

On a 2010 trip to Rome, we changed our hotel reservations at the last minute so we could be with friends we met when we arrived (we didn't know they would be in Rome). The hotel was basic, but was clean, convenient, and well staffed. When we returned, I checked the ratings on Trip Advisor, and they were mostly poor. However, all of the negative comments were about issues beyond the hotel's ability to control, such as road noise and the quality of nearby restaurants. We didn't remember any objectionable road noise and had no problem finding places to eat. I left a good rating for the hotel.

When traveling, I use a hotel as a place to hold my clothing, sleep, and shower. I don't really care if it has Internet, a gym, pool, or excellent view. I care about a comfortable bed and clean environment.

Posted

I find reviews incredibly useful for travelling. I find the negative ones especially interesting - but I ignore any that seem malicious or overly picky.

Posted

I use TripAdvisor a lot. If there is a hotel with only a few reviews, I check out the reviews of the reviewers in other places to see if they are generally too nice or too harsh on a hotel. If they don't have any other reviews, then I try to find reviews on other sites. I generally ignore those that are old reviews, i.e. ones older than 3 years, because the place might have changed for the worse or better. So far on that system of using it I have had success or at least something matching what I expected. For example, when we went to Italy, we wanted to stay in Verona so we could see an opera in the amphitheater, but all the nice places were booked out, so we went with a place where according to the reviews, it was a bit worn out and rather outdated, but it was clean, there was good cheap breakfast and the staff was nice, and that is exactly what we got. Usually, I would have been nervous to stay in a two star place in a city I don't know, but it worked out really well and it was €100 cheaper a night than the only 3 star place in town that had rooms.

Posted

I really like tripadvisor and use it when I'm looking for a hotel, attractions, and restaurants. I review all the hotels, restaurants, and some of the lesser known attractions on there afterwards too. If I want to get a quick idea of how something is I'll subtract the terrible from the excellent and the poor from the very good reviews and see where it stands overall. Also when reading reviews I tend to give more weight to people who have multiple reviews and ignore overly positive or negative ones if they have only posted a few reviews. Overall I find it to be helpful but sometimes I've been led astray. Last weekend some of the restaurants I went to in Berlin weren't very good despite there very positive reviews. It also helps to look at other reviews sites.

Posted

It's very influential to me on deciding on an hotel in an area I am not familiar with. No hotel (or more accurately hotel visit) is perfect, so there is always going to be a negative opinion or two but the majority comments are always helpful. Hotels that take the time to actually respond to comments made impress me too. Trip Advisor make a lot of effort to vet every review, and avoid bias or schilling. I know this as I had to justify and make minor modifications to a negative review I submitted before they would publish it.

If I'm looking for a hotel and come across one I haven't used before I also find Tripadvisor to be extremely useful, mainly for the reasons YL6 has made.

Last year I spent quite some effort trying to find the right hotel (for me) in Edinburgh as I needed to wrap a couple of days there around a longer visit which started and finished in town. The hotel I finally chose had 99% very positive reviews and after staying there I concurred with them, so I was extremely happy with my selection process and final choice thanks to Tripadvisor.

Sadly I can't say the same for booking.com who made a complete mess of my booking; two days for one person, but single days at the start and end of my trip. They managed to book one day for two people. It was only sorted after I e-mailed the hotel directly to confirm my booking and they were extremely helpful in sorting it out.

Posted

Never used it but it looks like I booked correctly...that sort of reassures me.

Posted

I use Trip Advisor all the time, both to answer questions about Frankfurt on their forum and then to find my own hotels and tours while traveling. When I went to Edinburgh, I found the Destination Experts to be overly helpful in guiding me to the right neighborhood, B&B, bus advice, and restaurants. I try to do the same for people who ask about places in Germany.

Reviews can be taken with a grain of salt sometimes. I often look at the other reviews a poster has written, and you can then tell if this is some freaky neatnik, that flips out because there was a dustball in between the radiator and the wall, and then claims the hotel was filthy, or the totally fake review. These can be negative or positive. Some are written by competitors and if you see one that looks like that, you should report it.

I do write reviews, both good and bad. A good review is like money in the bank for a small hotel, tour company, or family restaurant.

For hotels though, I tend to look for them on www.hrs.com and read their reviews, then read their reviews on TA too.

What is fun to do is go to your hometown and read the top activities. Especially if you are from somewhere that isn't known for tourism.

If you like the American version of "The Office", then you might enjoy these reviews on TA from Shrute Farms

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52842-d730099-Reviews-Schrute_Farms-Honesdale_Pocono_Mountains_Region_Pennsylvania.html

Posted

I find tripadvisor to be very useful in planning our vacations. I just booked our US vacation from their web site and it gave me a good overview of what I would get for my money. I am now planning our summer vacation through them. I have written positive and negative reviews for tripadvisor before so I do rely on their information quite a bit.

Posted

I use Tripadvisor for vacation planning for hotels and for restaurant reviews. Sometimes you can get some really good tips such as what's the best room of the hotel or things to avoid and general information about the area. I never leave any reviews on Tripadvisor, perhaps I should because I travel a lot.

For instance, I found Mauro Mansion in Amsterdam on TripAdvisor and that's one of my favorite hotels in the city and since I've been there a few times I now know why it's number one on TripAdvisor for Amsterdam.

Btw, that guesthouse in Ireland in post#8 looks interesting and those reviews are all mostly very favorable over 544 people giving it an excellent rating can't be wrong.

Posted

Trip Advisor is a good start for info, but I would read carefully good and bad, and look at the hotel website info also for reviews, and any others you might find. Like someone said some people complain about things like small rooms, but this may be more common in some Countries. I was in shock one time staying at a Winery in Germany and there wasn't soap for the shower, had to go into town to buy some. I was told by the natives this isn't unheard of. Some would have made it a complaint, I would have made it a FYI as everything else was good. There have been various cases of discounts for good reviews with so many sites. Not to mention who the competition may pay. Just about everything done now days has a motive, even liking contests on Facebook. So called advertisements for products in magazines by stars, etc.

I normally book through hotel websites, it appears if there is a problem they are more accommodating than if you booked through a third party if a booking issue comes up. Once I noticed on a hotel website they encouraged you to book through them to avoid problems.

:

Posted

What you have to remember is that everybody can have a bad experience at even the best hotels and little things when you are travelling can wind you up if you have had a bad day and are tired (which is very possible when travelling).

You also have to focus on whats important to you. Somebody complaining about the bad hotel pool won't make a difference if you don't intend on using it, likewise somebody saying that the location was perfect depends on where they wanted to go.

So I tend to look first at the overall rating of hotels and then compile a short list based on this on the location. And then look at more detail on the reviews to narrow it down. I often look at the bad reviews to see if the bad points are releavnt to me, look at the good ones to see what they liked and then try to average them out in my mind.

I find that TA is very useful providing that you can separate out the good and the bad and use it to get a feeling for the place. Also if having chosen somewhere that has good reviews I find that you arrive at the place in a more positive mindset, aware of any shortcomings and hence are more likely to have a good stay.

Posted

I find tripadvisor to be very useful in planning our vacations. I just booked our US vacation from their web site and it gave me a good overview of what I would get for my money.

I definitely would not book through them. I've always find their (or rather their partner website) prices more expensive...

Posted

I use Tripadvisor a lot and ensure I write honest reviews about hotels, restaurants, places etc too.

I think the ordinary photos are quite good. nearly booked a Butlins holiday last year *phew*. went to Center Parcs instead.

tips are always useful especially now we have Miniboot in tow.

Posted

I definitely would not book through them. I've always find their (or rather their partner website) prices more expensive...

Who would you book through then? I just used them but compared the same place to other web sites and it was showing up as the same price/ (Flipkey and booking.com)

We usually book vacation rentals so it's a little more difficult than accessing a hotel's web site.

Posted

There are plenty of comparison sites around - I'm not set on any one, or any particular provider, but just take the best offer available from those I compare. I generally use Tripadvisor to help me select my hotel and give me a target price to beat. Most of my travel is business, and rarely vacation, so the comparisons are easier. I'm acutely aware that many comparison sites are not independent to it's important to compare different comparisons too. Comparison sites that compare comparison sites (such as Trivago) are often useful too.

Posted

Who would you book through then?

I always book with the hotel directly, if possible. Less surprises when I have to deal with my actual contract partner in case something goes haywire.

Tripadvisor printed the review I wrote this weekend about the place we stayed in CA, including my scathing comment about being ignored at the front desk for almost ten minutes while the manager and his wife were in the back office talking to each other, in spite of ringing the bell twice. The Hotel of No Return.

Posted

I don't put much relevance on most negative comments, as these tend to be reflections of the author's unreasonable expectations rather than the quality of the establishment.

I also take Trip Advisor reviews with a very big grain of salt, especially because I am the person at my company in charge of answering our Trip Advisor reviews and I see what comes in all the time. You would not believe some of the things people complain about! A lot of the reviews are very petty and it seems like people have lost touch with reality. Sometimes the complaints are justified, but most of the time I think - people, just deal with it and move on! That´s life! Since everyone has a smart phone now, people can instantly inform the world about anything on their minds and most of the time I think they do it without even really thinking about what they´re saying. They just want to get their real or imagined grievances off their chest and the more people they inform, the better this makes them. So whenever I use Trip Advisor for myself, I am really very sceptical, especially about the very bad reviews.

I only left one review on Trip Advisor after I had a bad experience at a hotel in berlin. So perhaps there is a skew towards more negative reviews because people who enjoyed their visit don't feel so motivated to write about it?

I totally think so, based on my experience answering my company´s reviews!