Pregnant, uninsured, newly-arrived from Ireland

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I just met someone who seems to be in a bit of a pickle and I am just looking for confirmation that I am not giving her any misinformation.

She is pregnant and relocated here with her EU boyfriend and their son from Ireland 2 1/2 months ago. They just found an apartment and moved. He is employed and has public insurance.

She is from a relatively new EU state, but was living with the boyfriend prior to this.

She is not employed now, and I am assuming she was primarily taking care of the other son before moving here.

She had private insurance in Ireland and is currently uninsured. (Does everyone have public insurance in Ireland in addition?)

As I see it, she could:

• Get private (international?) insurance excluding prenatal treatment and birth and pay for all of that out of pocket here.
  • Get private insurance excluding prenatal treatment and go back to Ireland for the birth.
  • Get married (in Denmark, the waiting times in Germany and Ireland being very probelmatic).

Can she get an EHIC card? But that still won't get her into the public system here, right?

Thank you

Posted

Oh dear - here we go again.

John g or Starshollow to come out with the painful truth :(

Posted

I know it's going to be ugly. I don't think they consider any of the three options desirable, but those would work, no?

Posted

She had private insurance in Ireland and is currently uninsured. (Does everyone have public insurance in Ireland in addition?)

Irish residents are covered under a system similar to the NHS, so basically everyone is publicly "insured". The private insurance in Ireland is more to "top up" your level of care because the state system is not the best.

I think the problem is the time limit here though, doesn't she have just 3 months from arrival to register with the KK claiming her right to be publicly insured here due to being insured in another EU state.

Might be best to de-register here, sneak back to Ireland and get the documentation from them before coming back to Germany.

Posted

I would suggest they take a weekend trip to Gretna Green

http://www.google.de/search?client=opera&q=gretna+green&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

Get married, and then the lady in question will be covered by her husband's health insurance.

On the other hand, if she has only just found out that she is pregnant, how about her getting a job and covering herself for health insurance?

Posted

Thank you for your replies.

I had no idea that Gretna Green was the Vegas of the UK - It has been an informative day.

Lots more hunting around in the archives did reveal the bit about the public health insurance in Ireland and I even found forms to request the S1 form - but this takes months to obtain. She should have applied before they came (obviously). I was almost glad to have been a non-EU citizen and to have had the Bürgerbüro, the university, etc. tell me _in time_ what paperwork I needed and not leave me to my own devices.

So I am guessing that filing an application for insurance with the request for the s1 pending doesn't stop the clock? (naaah, didn't think so :) )

Posted

She should go to the public and sign up. Even without the s1/e104, the fact that she comes from a public insurance country should mean something. Perhaps she could have a friend/relative get something from a dr/amt in Ireland to give TK or AOK comfort?

Posted

Thank you for your replies.

I had no idea that Gretna Green was the Vegas of the UK - It has been an informative day.

Lots more hunting around in the archives did reveal the bit about the public health insurance in Ireland and I even found forms to request the S1 form - but this takes months to obtain. She should have applied before they came (obviously). I was almost glad to have been a non-EU citizen and to have had the Bürgerbüro, the university, etc. tell me _in time_ what paperwork I needed and not leave me to my own devices.

So I am guessing that filing an application for insurance with the request for the s1 pending doesn't stop the clock? (naaah, didn't think so )

If she doesn't already have an EHIC, she's entitled to one under Irish national cover - she needs to call the Health Service Executive / HSE of the area she lived in. They can pretty much on the spot FAX her a document which states that she has a public insurance # in Ireland. She could use this in her application for public insurance here in DE while waiting for the S1 form (or whatever it's called).

I don't know if that works, but it could be worth exploring. I know about the fax possibility due to a lost EHIC on vacation. The HSE people are generally pretty sound & want to help. No harm in getting the Irish boyfriend to put the call in & charm them :)

Deffo get some professional help in getting set up (starshollow & john.g as mentioned above). Take it from me - the Irish authorities will try to offer random stuff that the Germans will be like "Wtf?". I experienced a lot of "you'll be grand!" Or "sure why would they need that? Did you not just tell them...". But that was a while ago, with the recent mass exodus ... I guess they may have streamlined some stuff...

Getting married is a great idea for many (financial) reasons.

Good luck. When it's all sorted it will be a huge relief!

Posted

I'd go the marriage option. With the certificate + apostile from a courthouse in the U.S. (took about two weeks time to do that) I was able to check a box on the form for my husband's health insurance and receive the card in 4-5 business days. She should also register the marriage with the Rathaus and Finanzamt (with the tax classes 3/5) ASAP.

Posted

She should go to the public and sign up. Even without the s1/e104, the fact that she comes from a public insurance country should mean something. Perhaps she could have a friend/relative get something from a dr/amt in Ireland to give TK or AOK comfort?

Gail123 is theoretically right...but often German public health insurances don't accept that. We have had last year a couple of cases where accompanying but unmarried partners without own income etc were not accepted by German public insurances. They want proof that you have 1 day (I am not jocking, only 1 f...ing day) at least public health insurance in Germany, otherwise they will not accept them. In one case it was even with a child the couple had together. I took it up with the EU Solvit institution and they confirmed that this 1-day-rule is against EU laws, but unless you spend then serious time at courts, this is what can happen. Having said that, in the meantime I (and I think the same is true for John_G) set up an accord with one public health insurance that takes a bit more easier stance on that...but no guarantees.

What I would recommend for the OP is: yes, gt any confirmation you can from the Irish national health service about having been insured the last 12+ months there (and also get an EHICard) and then file an application with a public health insurance. If they reject the application, reject their refusal and demand clear and detailed legal explanation. Once you have received that (sometimes already this step makes them back-down), you can take it to the "Sozialgericht" at low costs and get a court decision based on your EU-rights. As this shows, though, it will take a few weeks at least to get this settled. Therefore also get the S1-form from the Irish side to cover pregnancy in another EU-memberstate and then you can get the, I think "pink" forms from a public health insurance to go to doctors here for pregnancy check-ups and treatment.

Cheerio

Posted

Just to add to Starshollow´s points..she could also try the two years out of the past five rule for eligibility for public insurance here. ie has been publicly insured in a European country ( I´m pretty sure Techniker told me it doesn´t have to be an EU State in a chat I had with them recently ) for either the past 12 months or for 2 of the past 5 years.

Nevertheless, this is all really messy..we have an " agreement " with Techniker ( though they need reminding of it everytime ) - that a doc letter stating a patient has been publicly insured under him/her is ok. Another client this week guaranteed she could get an E104 form from Ireland...this is no longer the case with the UK NHS, however. There they specifically say they´re not allowed to offer that form! An EU Directive from last year...so...depends on the country, the bureaucrat involved and how persuasive you can be talking to them...

Posted

Thank you, gentlemen. You really are lovely. I only wish I had some paying business to throw your way.

You wouldn't earn anything off this transaction, would you? (It's why I didn't send her to you directly.)

a