Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mike Tyson to star in crime drama on rape

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Why is Mike Tyson to star in a crime drama about rape?

"The convicted rapist, widely known for his misogynistic views, is to appear in the TV show Law and Order: Special Victims Unit. It's a decision that is causing outrage. ...

[admincopyright][/admincopyright]

Posted

I was going to respond till I realised there's nothing of your opinion or input in there at all - it's completey copied and pasted from the linked article. What's the point?

Posted

I saw no need to do anything other than quote the article (hence the quotation marks), as I agree with what it says.

Posted

You could have made that clear, but ok.

That TV executives sometimes get it wrong?

Get what wrong? It's a commercial TV show, it's raison d'etre is to sell shit (DVDs, advertising slots, etc) and to that end publicity is good. This is publicity.

That it doesn't really matter that Tyson has never expressed remorse and, despite his conviction, still portrays the woman he attacked as a liar?

Why should he express remorse? He's served his sentence (20 years ago) and that's all that's legally required to repay his debt to society. Should he be ostracised for the rest of time?

Also, despite his conviction, maybe she is a liar. The legal system isn't infallible.

Or that rape is so trivial that as long as you serve your time (though he only served three years of a six-year prison term, which was itself lenient) you can reinvent yourself as a comedic/tragic figure as if it never happened?

What's he supposed to do, ask for a longer sentence then hide under a rock for the rest of his life when he gets out?

Typical emotive bollocks that doesn't belong on a news website. Guess what though, it'll get clicks, which is what the Guardian wants. They're using Tyson for publicity just as much as Law and Order are, moreso if you count randomly adding "rape" to the headline even though they don't know what the plot of his episode is yet.

Posted

Shows like "Law and Order" are jealous of the success of reality television. They just trying to make sort of a hybrid-- reality (Hartz IV) TV with competent scriptwriters.

Posted

They're using Tyson for publicity just as much as Law and Order are, moreso if you count randomly adding "rape" to the headline even though they don't know what the plot of his episode is yet.

Would be interesting to see the reaction if Tyson plays a rapist who gets shot and killed :ph34r:

Posted

Bet he'll be cast as a goodie, like a witness/rescuer/victim's partner, etc.

Posted

"a murderer on death row". Did you even read the article?

Posted

Thanks for the unnecessary antagonism.

Posted

I'm a huge fan of the show, and I find it abhorrent. I do think Tyson should be ostracized for the rest of his life. His victim has to live with it for the rest of her life, why shouldn't he?

Posted

Where do you draw the line on ostracizing criminals?

Which offence would you say it starts at where the criminal doesn't deserve ostracizing?

Posted

Who would want to see Mike Tyson getting raped on TV? ;-)

Posted

I'm a huge fan of the show, and I find it abhorrent. I do think Tyson should be ostracized for the rest of his life. His victim has to live with it for the rest of her life, why shouldn't he?

He will, for the rest of his life he's "Mike Tyson, convicted rapist". Whatever he does, wherever he goes, he lives with it. And rightly so.

I don't think that should mean his life is over though.