Typical hourly labour rates for carpentry

39 posts in this topic

Posted

We are having a kitchen installed that will involve some custom carpentry as well as the typical minor plumbing and electrical work. We've been quoted 95 euros an hour. We are going to ask for a specific estimate for the whole job but for now we'd like to know if that is a typical rate or not. Thanks.

Posted

Sounds a bit cheap to me...

but if you want him to reduce his hourly rate, then expect his work time to increase!

Posted

How many workers?

Just one. He might occasionally need a helper for heavy lifting but he's going to do all the work.

Posted

It is steep. I would try to go for an overall estimate as well.

You may also ask how much without a receipt. :rolleyes:

Posted

That is outrageous. May have something to do with Munich pricing - here in Stuttgart, rates for carpenters doing that type of work are typically between 45 and 65 Euros tops.

Posted

That is outrageous. May have something to do with Munich pricing -

Why is it outragous?

The guy is offering a service that BookmanBJ cant do, so it needs to be paid for..

There are many folk on here that earn 60k per year...

at a 40hr week, thats 125€ per hour...

So why not pay a handwerker that sort of money?

Posted

you need to get 2 or 3 quotes, 95 an hour is crazy for 1 man to hang a kitchen.

He'll proably take a week to do it too.

ask for a complete price with no excuses.

Posted

Why?

How much do you earn a year?

Posted

Your calculation is incorrect, Spiderpig. 60000€ p.a. = 35,71 even if you base it on only working 10.5 months per year. You calculated by assuming only 40 hours per month.

95€ calculated on 40-hours/week basis would make him a very high earner indeed.

I can't judge whether it's high for the work or not, though, because obviously a carpenter doesn't get 40 hours straight work a week. But I guess that's why the OP is asking - to find out what the typical going rate is.

Posted

below are the overheads a Zimmermann has to pay before he gets to the last line,however I must disagree with SP for 95€ I would expect a Meister.We had a very good Carpenter when we extended the house and he charged on the larger things pauschale/flat rate and on smaller things 75€ the hour.For a kitchen I would go for pauschale/flat rate because kitchens can sometimes be a right bugger to fit and if he messes up something and has to re-do it that's his loss just watch that he doesn't cut corners :) that was a joke ..never mind

- Krankenversicherung

- Beiträge für Kammer, BG etc.

- Altersvorsorge

- Steuern, die im Monat anfallen werden

- Unfallversicherung

- Haftpflicht, BU etc.

- Kosten für PKW gewerblich

- Kosten für alles, was noch so anfällt

->>> Gewinn

Posted

@ ruapehu... I was basing my calculations on TTers/ins on 60K€...

After 120 or so hours a month posting on TT, they probably only do 40hrs work!! Therfore, my calcs were correct! :ph34r:

@ Timezoner... Dont forget they are talking Munich Rates...

Posted

I wonder if those 95 Euros include VAT. If so he's actually charging about 80 bucks an hour. If not, it's about 113 an hour with Uncle Herman's cut.

Posted

There's a big difference between a chippy, i.e. a dude with a collection of power tools and experience of fitting flat pack kitchens, and someone who is able to build each piece from scratch with skills acquired over many years of training and actual work, i.e. a cabinet maker. So which of those is the OP referring to?

Posted

Nothing outrageous or unusual about 90 Euros for a "Meisterstunde".

Posted

if the guy is indeed capable of offering that.

Posted

There are many folk on here that earn 60k per year...

at a 40hr week, thats 125€ per hour...

Shh, you kinda confused weeks and months in your calculation.

Posted

It sounds steep at first glance, BUT it depends on several other factors too. How many hours has he calculated for the whole project on site?

Most people don't see the workhours behind the visible work on site. Being "Handwerker" myself, I can point out some other important factors.

Will the job be done within a day or is it supposed to last 2 Weeks? You mentioned some "custom"-work. How much custumizing has to be done? Is it just some cutting off to fit in tricky corners or are there some custom modules to be handmade? Will he work in a tidy manner or are you expected to clean your house/flat yourself afterwords? Is there any material calculated to be paid on top? As a house/flatowner, workhours on your property are taxrelevant, materials are not. Therefore most owners want invoices based on plain workhours without separate material calculation.

Basic tip: Tell him about your doubts and ask him to explain his calculation. If he's worth his money, he will be quite open about it, because "Handwerk im Haus" depends on happy customers, because we get most jobs by recommendation from other customers.

Good luck.

Posted

Your calculation is incorrect, Spiderpig. 60000€ p.a. = 35,71 even if you base it on only working 10.5 months per year.

And since they're likely on salary, 52 weeks @40hrs per week = €28.85 per hour. Hardly an extravagant figure. With that said, like others have mentioned, I would look elsewhere, as well. You'll find something cheaper.

Posted

I found this site you can ask for quotes

http://www.my-hammer.de/

This would give you a ballpark for the job.

Posted

Multiquote seems to have disappeared, so I copied the quote below:

"@ ruapehu... I was basing my calculations on TTers/ins on 60K€..."

I don't get the relevance of this unless you're referring to TTers that you know who are carpenters.

I guess the key here is exactly how much customizing you need and how skilled the carpenter needs to be in order to do it. There's no point in hiring a Meister (if that's what he is) if it's just regular kitchen fitting with a bit of extra cutting and fitting.

Posted

Usually you would expect to pay about EUR 40 - 50 per hour for a qualified craftsman (including vat). Keep the invoice for your tax files as you can get a partial refund for the cost of labour done in your home (haushaltsnahe Dienstleistungen) from the Finanzamt.

Posted

There's a big difference between a chippy, i.e. a dude with a collection of power tools and experience of fitting flat pack kitchens, and someone who is able to build each piece from scratch with skills acquired over many years of training and actual work, i.e. a cabinet maker. So which of those is the OP referring to?

Basically, he's going to install about 2/3 Ikea cabinetry--some of which needs to be modified--and 1/3 custom built. There's also a little drywall work. Electric and plumbing is already done.

I've asked him for a flat rate since my OP and have not yet heard back.

Posted

You probably wont get a flat rate from him... possibly not even a return call!

I have almost completed installing a kitchen, A Previously owned Ikea one, then added a few more new units!

Electrics and New water connections too...

I have spent about 24hrs up to now.. I actually expected closer to 12/15 hrs!!

Good luck