Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Risk of not changing the cartridge

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Does the filtering unit (the Patrone that must be replaced every so often) become merely ineffective? Or does it breed any harmful bacteria over time? I see many colleagues drinking straight from the tap. Is that any safer than drinking from an aged filter?

Posted

I've been drinking from the tap for 11 years and it's done me no harm. The water from the tap where I work (near Unterhaching) tastes way better than many bottled waters. The only reason I ever filter it is to stop the coffee machine becoming clogged up with the white stuff.

Posted

Tap water in Munich is fine, just a bit chalky.

I use Brita water for making coffee and tea only to protect my machine from the chalk. I change the filter as recommended. Came home from traveling once and Himself hadn't changed the filter and there were little black bits in the water. I assumed it was charcoal from the filter.

Posted

Water from the tap is perfectly safe, filtering it doesn't purify the water, it claims to remove some of the taste of chlorine and some of the calcium carbonates. Oh and it definitely removes money from your wallet.

Posted

The important thing to know is that unfiltered water in Germany is 100% safe.

It's no worse or better than even the correctly filtered water, so unless the filtering changes the taste of your local tapwater to something you prefer I just wouldn't bother filtering it.

Some people are convinced that brita water filters have made them sick, and certainly if you don't store your water correctly then it can be a problem over time.

There isn't any real way to know exactly how long a filter will last in a given environment, just a best guess at an average life.

The date on the label may well be a marketing decision rather than a science one and will be chosen to get the filter replaced often enough to maximise profit but not often enough to annoy customers (for example by making them sick or by making them replace the filter too often).

When the filter is saturated it will become ineffective and may start to dump the built-up residue into the water making the overall water quality worse.

Posted

Nobody is questioning the safety of the water - but filtering does take out some of the chalk and protects kettles and coffee makers (a bit). Unfiltered water also leaves scum on the top of my tea, which I dislike.

It is also supposed to reduce chlorine for watering plants, but actually you can do that by standing the water overnight (the chlorine bubbles out) or use distilled water, especially for calcium hating plants - filtered tap water is no good for those.

I understood that the filter becomes less effective if it's allowed to dry out - so I keep the jug topped up. As far as I know the filters don't harbour germs, but if in doubt, throw it out.

The jug can get very scuzzy, inside and out, and even develop algae quite quickly, if stood in direct sunlight. I try to wash it out every day and throw it out when it gets too scratched.

For cold drinking water I just keep a bottle of tap water in the fridge, it tastes fine.

Posted

@Boots

I thought that distilled water lacked the minerals and nutrients that plants need. Educate me.

Posted

Ok, so far it seems like the verdict is, drink straight from the tap. If using the filter, replace the cartridge every 6 - 8 weeks. Got it.

Thanks all

S