NY Times article slams Wetten Dass

50 posts in this topic

Posted

"ZDF, one of the two main public stations, similar to the BBC in Britain"

This statement alone reveals that the author knows nothing.*

*Not that I think Wetten Das is any good mind

Posted

Days are numbered for public broadcasting. Sooner the whole apparatus is privatised the better.

Posted

Days are numbered for public broadcasting.

Maybe - if you want to number them in the tens of thousands.

They have probably overreached with their new fee structure and will have to make some adjustments - particularly with regard to companies, the severely disabled, and people who live a Luddite no-device existence. But they've shot themselves in the foot with their latest household fee argument: if everyone is already paying media consumption on any potential device at home, then businesses should not have to pay for their employees twice. Unless the train of thought is that that businesses have to pay their fair share, as well, on solidarity grounds - but they have invalidated that argument through their no-exception personal charge mandate.

But as to the general/household broadcasting tithe/TV license, the only way it was ever going to go away would be based on an anti-competition/subsidy complaint from Brussels. But that would destroy/de-fund the BBC and all other national public broadcasting systems as well. It ain't gonna happen.

Posted

I officially slam any use of the word "slam" in the headlines of news articles or news-themed forum threads.

I constantly see "So and so slams such and such" in headlines. Then I read the article to find that someone has merely expressed an opinion, typically using mild, dispassionate language. But that's what we get in an internet where clicks = cash.

Anyway, it is stupid. Stop it.

Posted

Wetten Dass is super shit.

so is a lot of American telly.

Posted

I officially slam any use of the word "slam" in the headlines of news articles or news-themed forum threads.I constantly see "So and so slams such and such" in headlines. Then I read the article to find that someone has merely expressed an opinion, typically using mild, dispassionate language. But that's what we get in an internet where clicks = cash.Anyway, it is stupid. Stop it.

Slammalamma ding dong.

Hörauf mit your blah blah blah...du nervst Alter!

Posted

Slammalamma ding dong. Hörauf mit your blah blah blah...du nervst Alter!

My German's pretty bad. I think you said you love me even though I'm older? :rolleyes: <3

Posted

The article was in the Herald Tribune yesterday too. What a waste of space.

Mind you I didn't read it since I find nothing interesting on Public tv These days and Wetten das is just the tip of the ice berg.

edit:wtf is the times actually reporting about "wetten das"? Isn't there something important or more interesting happening ANYWHERE?

Posted

PBS is generally regarded as quality television...

aye, but it would be unfair to omit that this high regard is due, in no small part, to a steady stream of British program(me)s :ph34r:

Posted

I think it would be fair to omit that. PBS does select quality British shows to air, and I think they enhances its reputation, but precisely only in small part. Sure, PBS introduced me to Miss Marple, Jeremy Brett's Sherlock and Dr. Who ca. Tom Baker, but I think they were always a bit obscure in America. The recent popularity of Downton Abby is exceptional. Even without the small fraction of British programming, PBS would retain its reputation for quality in the American psyche owing to its original programming like Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Julia Child, News Hour, Nova, News Hour, etc. Still I'm happy to have a portion of my $1.50 go to licensing (and by extension production) of quality British programs.

Posted

Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Mr. Bean, Are You Being Served, One Foot in the Grave, The Good Life, and many more, were all shows I grew up with and that wasn't recently. Nor was it exceptional, practically everybody I knew watched those shows too. BBC World News as well, although I didn't know so many other people who watched it.

Posted

Same here, dessa. (Mostly) KCTS 9, right?

Posted

Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Mr. Bean, Are You Being Served, One Foot in the Grave, The Good Life, and many more, were all shows I grew up with and that wasn't recently. Nor was it exceptional, practically everybody I knew watched those shows too. BBC World News as well, although I didn't know so many other people who watched it.

Ah, Dessa..I was in a bar in Chicago about 20 years ago and a local woman, on hearing my accent, said " Hey, are you from England? I love watching Coronation Street! ". Can´t remember what she said about which channel it was on. It did surprise me, though!

Posted

Coronation Street used to be on CBC when I lived in Canada. Extremely popular show.

Posted

I'll leave defending German television comments to the Germans on Toytown. I don't watch much on German television, only the occasional Tatort, political debate or consumer information reports and, of course, the news. I never liked Wetten Das - 3 to 4 hours watching people make fools of themselves - a waste of life you'll never get back and boring on top of it. I only check to see what rock groups might be playing, then I record that, the next day fast forward to said rock group, listen to the song they're playing and then hit delete. And as for Britsh TV (and by that I mean the BBC only), while I am a big fan and watch that practically exclusively, anyone who's been watching regularly in the last year to 18 months will have noticed that they must be extremely strapped for cash. A lot of repeats and dredging up some really old programs, one-off episodes of old comedy series just to fill in 30 minutes somewhere. And frankly, they have quite a few reality TV programs on their licensing fee based channels which in all fairness to German TV, you would only see on RTL, SAT1 or other German private channels. Is German TV the worst in Europe? I can't say but if you really want to see bad TV, try Italy.

Posted

I would also add "Only Fools And Horses" which is in my opinion the best TV show ever and "'Allo 'Allo" as well...there is no TV ohne BBC!