Buying 200x200cm duvet in Germany

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Today I went out for shopping because I'll move into a half furnished flat this week.

I've always purchased 200x200cm duvets when I was in UK and in the Netherlands. Then I was so shocked it's really hard to find my favourite size here in Germany. I wonder if somebody knows any stores/markets where I can get double duvet size. Otherwise, I should purchase German size duvets...

Posted

I have two in 200x200 - a winter and a summer one, both bought at Galeria Kaufhof. However, I soon realised that this is not a "normal" size here, but more of a rarity. Where other sizes will have a huge selection of covers, the 200x200 will have only a very limited selection of covers.

We recently bought a large duvet at Ikea, for the GerMan, and when I need to replace mine I think that's where I'll go. They have 240x220 as their large size - AFAIK they don't carry 200x200. The little bit more duvet makes a big difference, I really like it, and they have a good selection of different duvet covers. Only problem with buying Ikea duvet covers in Germany is that German-sized pillowcases are usually included, and German pillows are *horrible*, they're enormous. I usually sew them to fit my small pillows.

Posted

We've bought the 240x220 from IKEA and like them very much. Re the pillowcases, I bought a couple of smaller sized pillows (usual UK size) and bought plain pillow cases for them to match the duvet cover. We've got the big pillows as well and although I find them hopeless for sleeping on, they're good for propping you up when you're reading or having breakfast in bed!

Posted

I just bought a 200X200 cm duvet cover for my daughter's queen duvet from the US. However, this is a French company and a kid one to boot. Don't know if that would interest you.

vertbaudet.de

Posted

I gave up trying. We order bed stuff from Debenhams now - they have reasonable delivery prices to Germany. Last time I checked it was £7 and took about a week to arrive.

Posted

I've always hated the single duvet per person here. How can you cuddle and kuschel when the 2 duvets you try to overlap always end up separating and letting all the cold air in?

Nah, for nearly 30 years, I've brought duvets back from the UK and the US (US queen size, UK king size) and use them. And over the years I've also brought back the duvet covers as well. In the early days I thought I'd sew them myself but the price for all that material was so prohibitive here it wasn't worth it. Plus for the winter you get the best flannel duvet covers from the US: LL Bean and Land's End or any good dept store when you're home.

It's not too easy finding duvet covers in 200 x 200 but I suppose Internet shopping makes my comment redundent, but you'll also find it cost-wise more expensive - as anything "out of the norm" usually is. Good luck!

Posted

I always buy my duvets from the UK, NL or the US (the US ones are simply gorgeous), and you can find really good deals from eBay stores selling 6 piece matching sets for less than $100; whereas in Germany you will pay a fortune for just the covers which are usually ugly.

The problem I found with buying the bigger sizes - even from Ikea, is that although you can get the duvet cover, it usually only comes with one pillow case, unlike in the UK/US/NL where the standard is two.

I really have tried to get on board with the German bedding sizes, but I just can't do it - it just doesn't look nice in my opinion - and I like a nicely made bed.

Posted

We had an amusing moment in Ikea Grossburgwedel about 12 years ago trying to source an all-seasons king-sized duvet, with the two layers that join together. The guy was so bemused, first at the idea that one duvet was good for two people and second, at the thought of attatching two together to make it warmer in winter... Then about a year later (I am guessing) we bought 4 down filled ones incredibly cheaply there because the wrong container had arrived and we had us a fresh UK delivery with dream duvets in...brilliant.

Posted

The problem I found with buying the bigger sizes - even from Ikea, is that although you can get the duvet cover, it usually only comes with one pillow case, unlike in the UK/US/NL where the standard is two.

I beg to differ - at least since 2008, when I bought my first 200x200, all duvet covers I bought have included two pillowcases, whether from Galeria Kaufhof, Karstadt, upmarket bedding shop or Ikea.

Posted

Himself decided to replace my American style bedding with a big ass duvet once when I was away. It was boiling hot when we both slept under it. I got rid of it and went to the silly single duvets. Mind you, the heating is off in the bedroom at night. Even with a window open, we were roasting under that thing.

Posted

we bought the 220 x 240 from IKEA with the dual winter/summer options, and I made English sized pillow cases out of the German ones.

Posted

I bought my (kind-size) duvet, pillows and bed linen off Amazon UK. Waaaaay cheaper than buying it all in Germany, and that includes paying for international delivery. I just really couldn't take the single duvets and square shaped pillows any more!

Posted

My local tedox sells 80x40 pillows at a decent price, plus pillow cases for that size. I dislike the giant square pillows as well. Terrible for side-sleepers who need head support.

Posted

I beg to differ - at least since 2008, when I bought my first 200x200, all duvet covers I bought have included two pillowcases, whether from Galeria Kaufhof, Karstadt, upmarket bedding shop or Ikea.

I gave up in 2006, so perhaps it has improved since then :)

Posted

Thank you all for the advice!

I couldn't wait for shipping, purchasing from Galeria or Karstadt could be pricey, 240x220cm would be too big for me... so just got 155x220cm from IKEA yesterday. Still miss the way 200x200cm duvet covers the mattress. Even Japanese (yeah, that's my country!) IKEA has those.

When I asked my friend about German bedding size, one of them told me he has 2 single size and one big size. So he and his girlfriend don't fight over the blanket. So I try to accept 200x200cm is not big enough for German people, they might need 240x220cm for their "personal space" :P

Anyway, thank you again and have a nice evening!

Posted

I am also a fan of the IKEA 240X220 bedding. But after 9 years here I still can not sleep comfortably with the oversized german sized pillows!

Posted

My local tedox sells 80x40 pillows at a decent price, plus pillow cases for that size. I dislike the giant square pillows as well. Terrible for side-sleepers who need head support.

But what to do, if the 80x40 pillow is to flat? Sometimes I had this problem in southern countries. With a 80x80 I can have a double layer.

Posted

Marks and Spencer also have 200x200 and a MarksandSpencer.de link

You can also order from the UK on-line store and no matter how large the consignment the postal rate is a flat £15.