Does health insurance cover eye glasses?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I need to get new glasses and I was wondering if the health insurance covers eye glasses or at least pay for some parts of it?

We lived long in Switzerland and the Swiss insurance paid 300CHF per year towards eye glasses/contact lens. We are about to move to Berlin and I was wondering if it's also the same in Germany.

Thank you in advance!

Posted

Ask the Optiker Blog!! :D In most cases it´s no longer paid for by public insurance, Lee..there are exceptions!(eg, children and really poorly sighted people ).

Posted

Thanks! What is Optiker Blog? I must look up! I tried calling the one of the health insurance customer service already for several days and unable to reach anyone. I am always on hold for long long time so finally I gave up!

Ask the Optiker Blog!!

Posted

Thank you for the link! :)

Posted

By the way, I don´t know your circumstances eg how you are insured in Switzerland. If you´re coming here, it may be worth your while checking out the whole issue of health insurance here. There´s tons of information on different threads on Toytown - just in case you need to get informed.

Posted

BTW I want to correct myself. My husband told me that Swiss insurance gives 300CHF towards eye glasses to spend every 3 years... We have extended insurance.. otherwise it's every 5 years...

Posted

Ok, but do you know the system here? Are you prepared?

Nobody expects the German health insurance inquisition! :)

Posted

When I first came here, end '99, there was some help, but I think even then I only got help with both the contact lenses and glasses because of my awful short sight. No more since then even with my roughly -13 level of vision; if anyone knows better I'd love to hear!

Posted

Nope, I have - 6.5 in one eye and - 4.5 in the other and don't get a cent from our health insurance. I also remember the good old days way back in the 90's when they did used to contribute a bit.