Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What to observe when handing over a rental flat

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Wondering if anyone has any tips re handing over a rental flat back to the landlord? Our landlord is unpredictable and the new tenant is demanding. I'm worried the landlord will make unreasonable demands on the spot or withhold our deposit or introduce claims after the handover.

Posted

AFAIK most Mietervereins have rules that you have to be a member for X months before making use of their services.

If you're moving soon, it's probably better to get a lawyer.

It might seem expensive, but (and this is based on personal experience) it will be peanuts compared to how much you can potentially end up losing to the landlord by signing something without proper advice.

Posted

In their FAQs, they state the following:

Welche Leistungen kann ich sofort nach Beitritt in Anspruch nehmen?

Nach Beitritt können alle Leistungen sofort, ohne Einhaltung einer Wartefrist, in Anspruch genommen werden. Insbesondere können Sie als Neumitglied sofort eine Rechtsberatung in Anspruch nehmen. Lediglich bei der Rechtsschutzversicherung ist, wie auch bei allen anderen Versicherungen, eine dreimonatige Wartefrist zu beachten.

Translation:

Which services can I use immediately after joining?

After joining, you can use all services immediately, without a waiting period. Specifically, you can also use our legal advice service as a new member. The only exception is the legal insurance, for which - as with all insurance - a three-month waiting period is needed.

Posted

thanks for the tip. i will check it out. time is not on our side though- the handover is in a few days. we also have to finish some renovierung work which is a contractual obligation before exit.

a bit off-topic, when a new tenant comes and takes photos of the flat (eg close-up photo of a sink), what could it be for? i find it rather puzzling as the handover between new tenant and landlord will only happen after ours, and the flat right now is not yet in a ready state.

Posted

Make sure the place is clean and any needed renovation is done (i.e. painting walls). Take pictures of the place the day of the handover and make sure the landlord reads all meters (electricity, warm and cold water, heaters, etc) and the readings are in the protocol.

Posted

Thanks everyone for the tips. The handover went quite smoothly but let's see if we will receive the deposit back.