Urgently need advice! Self-employed tree surgeon

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I hope someone can advise me on my situation. I am an EU citizen (UK)

I came to Germany last September to work with a contact and initially stayed at his address. I registered and work as a self-employed treesurgeon. I registered my Anmeldung and Gewerbeanmeldung at his address, as well as registering with the Finanzamt also. I have a bank account also registered at the same address. Now the relationship has gone sour and I am at a new address, how do I go about re-registering all the above to my new address?

Also I am worried about sorting out end of year tax statements etc as the guy was initially helping me, but now is no longer in contact. I have been paying my monthly 19% vAT in person by giving the form every month to the Finanzamt, but suddenly this all feels like a huge weight hanging over my head. I am not fluent in German and the level of Bureaucracy here is intimidating. I don't want to fall foul of tyhe system and find myself unable to work in the country. Does anyone have any useful practical advice they could share with me?

Posted

Can you just go back to all those agencies and give them your new address? Or send them a letter informing them of your new address?

Have you even tried to contact those agencies to find out their process for change of address???

Posted

Lavender is right, jimmy. Just go back to the Bürgeramt ( for your Anmeldung ), the Finanzamt , the bank and all the rest of it. Always take your passport, proof of new address and 10 euros or so...

If you can afford a tax advisor ( Steuerberater ): do it to avoid the stress.

Also, make sure you´re properly health insured. Are you?

Posted

Yes I realised, I must do this already, and am in the process of doing it. Its really the steps to take regarding being above board and clear with the Finanzamt etc that worries me. I guess I'm just panicking a little.

Posted

Ok, Jimmy! As long as it´s not a travel insurance. Good. Hope you´ve read the small print and know exactly what you´re covered for. Health treatment is extremely expensive here - as you probably know, there´s no NHS here.

Posted

but where is the online VAT form on https://www.elster.de/elfo_down.php? please help!

Posted

ELSTER is an online service to do VAT announcements and tax return electronically, i.e. there are no forms to download. You sign up for the service, and can then use the services directly some through the website, or (preferably) out of your accunting software (e.g. WISO Steuersparbuch).

If you still want to use old-school paper forms, here you go: Umsatzsteuer-Voranmeldung 2013

Posted

but where is the online VAT form on https://www.elster.de/elfo_down.php? please help!

post-24869-13593848424282.jpg

This is the ElsterFormular software package that you download (choose the version marked above with the red arrow) and then install on your PC.

After you have installed it, open it and choose Umsatzsteuer-Voranmeldung.

Posted

thanks a lot Pandamunich :)

I am a freelancer, so i downloaded the centre one. i have two queries:

1) I use to send approximately 4000€ each month to my parents in my native country. Can i show this in my VAT statement? and how?

2) Last month my wife and me visited our native place. Can i show those air tickets in the VAT statement? and how?

Please share with me the VAT calculation for both(if they are applicable)

Posted

I am a freelancer, so i downloaded the centre one.

Go back and download the one I indicated, or you will not be able to do your income tax return (= Einkommensteuererklärung) at the end of the year.

The version you downloaded does not include the Einkommensteuererklärung.

1) I use to send approximately 4000€ each month to my parents in my native country. Can i show this in my VAT statement? and how?

VAT is about your business expenses and income.

These are private expenses that you may be able to claim in your income tax return at the end of the year.

For details please see post no. 356 in Filing a tax return.

But not to the tune of 4,000€ a month :D

2) Last month my wife and me visited our native place. Can i show those air tickets in the VAT statement? and how?

No, these are private expenses.

They are not even admissible as private expenses for your tax return, since your wife lives here in Germany with you and you are therefore not eligible for "doppelte Haushaltsführung".

Posted

Thnaks for ur reply Pandamunich!

one thing i want to ask. Next month i am going for a job interview in UK. Can i use those air tickets in the VAT calculation? If yes, then how?