Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need help applying for state insurance

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I'm a 25 years old, and just found out that I'm pregnant!

My private travel insurance won't allow me to extend my current contract with them after April because of the pregnancy.

I'd like to apply for a state insurance e.g: AOK, however I have no idea how what documents I need, and if I should tell them that I'm pregnant yet or not?!

I have a part-time job as a receptinist and an Aufenthalt's Erlaubnis fuer Studentin (but I'm not studying at the moment/yet)

Please Help!!!

Posted

What exactly are you doing here? Why are you already working if you haven't started studying yet? Are you earning over 450€/month? How long have been in Germany?

Posted

Confused!: engelchen asks key questions here. You may not even been entitled to public insurance at all. The problem is NOT whether to tell a public insurer about your pregnancy - that doesn´t matter - the problem IS: are you able to get into public insurance or not? There´s a myriad of complex rules about that.

Posted

@engelchen: I haven't started studying yet because the country I come from's Abitur is different to Germany and I have to wait for some documents/grades from my High School to arrive per post and then be proved.. Which is taking forever, thereafter I have to apply to a Uni and wait and see if they'll accept me..

But I already have an Aufenthalts erlaubnis for students.

I've cleared this with the Aulanderamt and they know that I'm not studying yet, or possibly only next semister.

The biggest problem I have now, is getting a new insurance!

Posted

I've been in Germany for just over a year, and I up to 850

Posted

I know you're young and a bit panicked at the moment.

But please accept that for you there are only 3 ways to get into public health insurance:

• getting immatriculated at a university --> public health insurance as a student at 80€ per month
  • getting a job as an employee with a salary of at least 450.01€ --> public health insurance comes automatically with that job
  • marrying someone who has public health insurance --> free family cover under his public health insurance

Posted

Wait a minute, Confused!: are you working legally? Are you an EMPLOYEE with a proper contract? ie not in the parallel economy. If so, why are you on a travel insurance? If you are LEGALLY a EMPLOYEE, you should have public health insurance anyway. AND your employer should be paying their whack.

What is the truth?

Posted

Yeah ofcourse I'm working legally, and with a contract..

Because I had my current insurance way before I started this job I kept it all this time, and now that it's about to expire I asked my boss if he could help me be insured with the company (like all my other colleauges)

He told me to take my contract, last 3 months pay checks and apply at AOK myself..

Posted

I've been in Germany for just over a year, and I up to 850

Now I'm confused.

Since when have you been earning 850€/month? Are you allowed to work? Are you taking language classes? Were you taking language classes?

Posted

Did you earn more than 450€ every month?

If yes, then your boss should have been retaining public health insurance contributions out of your gross salary, as well as other social security contributions like unemployment insurance and public pension insurance.

He would then forward your part of the social security contributions and his part (employee and employer each pay about half of the total amount) to the public health insurance each month.

What does it say on your salary slip?

What deductions are written on it?

Posted

7 months, and my aufenthalts erlaubnis allows me to work up to 20hrs a week

Posted

Yeah ofcourse I'm working legally, and with a contract..

Because I had my current insurance way before I started this job I kept it all this time, and now that it's about to expire I asked my boss if he could help me be insured with the company (like all my other colleauges)

He told me to take my contract, last 3 months pay checks and apply at AOK myself..

That's silly, your boss MUST be the one paying your Health insurance and only has to know which Krankenkasse you choose"

Posted

Confused1: your profile says you´re South African. Do you have another passport? Just to help us here. Confusion? Otherwise, dunno how you´re allowed to work. How long have you been here?

If you have been working legally, your boss hasn´t been doing things legally. Is he German?

EDIT: ok, you´re allowed to work up to 20 hours a week.

Posted

Well that solves it then doesn't it..

He's been bullshitting me, but actually he should be taking care of it or at least half of it?!

Posted

He's been bullshitting me, but actually he should be taking care of it or at least half of it?!

Are you sure you have a contract as an employee and not as a self-employed?

Though only employees have salary slips...

If yes, then your summary is correct.

Posted

Yes I'm working legally, I'm South African with a South African Passport.. and the company I work for is German aswell

Posted

Is he German, Confused!? He would have little excuse about not informing you. Even the dummest German employer knows about this stuff. A foreign employer MIGHT not know ( I´m being generous here ).

Posted

What does your contract say? How many hours are you supposed to be working? Is it the same amount every month?

Posted

Well I don't have it infront of me..

But states where, how much I work and how much I get paid..

Nothing about Insurance.. and because I already had my currect Private Travel Insurance it wasn't a topic.. I didn't know better to ask unfortunately either..

Last week I asked him for a Midi-Job contract.. It doesn't change much from how much I work or how much I earn.. but ofcourse it comes with state insurance..

That's when he answered that I should go to AOK myself

Posted

Yes 20hours everymonth (but I work a little more and there also get paid more)

Posted

It WAS a topic, Confused1, but your boss didn´t point it out. He SHOULD have..he´s the local here. Anyway, the good news: you can get public insurance and you will be covered for pregnancy. The bad news: expect backpayments ( your boss, too ) for the time you´ve been working for him.

How will this affect your study plans? And, thus, your visa etc..

Posted

Well the good news is better than the bad news! Doctor bills while being pregnant without insurance was my biggest fear!!

Thanks guys, for helping me out!

It'll take some time until I find out if I can study here at all..

And if it doesn't work out, then it'll really be too bad..

I'll have to change my visa.. by applying for a working visa, but I also know that there are some advantages to giving birth to your child in Germany.. I'll have to inform myself about that too

Posted

Confused, your either dodging a question or have no idea what your contract states. The easiest way to solve the the first and formost question is if you go get your last payslip and look for a position called

"Krankenvers. or Krankenversicherung".

If you have that on your payslip and there is an amount below/behind it your ok.

If you do not have this position on your payslip you have no state health insurance.

I'll venture the guess that you are not state insured since your doing the dance and your boss seems to be doing it too(very odd and dangerous for your boss because the state health insurance don't f**k around if someone is dodging.

Posted

@Mapleleafdude: I'm on this site to get some kind of help in something I have no idea about.. why would I hide something?

Anyway, I don't have my contract with me or my payslip because I'm at work right now.. I'm a receptionist at a hotel by the way