Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Girlfriend and Son coming over

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

Me again, just wondered if you could explain something if possible.

Because i do not want to disclose my salary i will use an example...

If i earn €20k a year and my accomadation is paid for and my girlfriend and son are coming over from UK to live with me in Germany permanently. She will not be working for the first 6 months or so and she will be looking after my son.

What help financial wise can we get if any?

Are we eligible to kindergeld? If so what do i have to do?

Is she eligible to any kind of benefits, in the UK should would be able to claim something not sure about here? If so what, and where do we have to go to start?

Thanks

Luke

Posted

Tell her to get a European health insurance card

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559

Tell her to apply quick before Cameron can opt out of it :)

Posted

Thats another question, because we are not married will i have to pay for her health insurance and is my son covered on mine.

European health insurance, is this legal for over here and do you have to pay any monthly amounts for it?

Posted

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=284995

Engelchen just posted something in this thread that might be relevant in your case.

Posted

Thats another question, because we are not married will i have to pay for her health insurance and is my son covered on mine.

European health insurance, is this legal for over here and do you have to pay any monthly amounts for it?

The European health insurance card is basically for emergencies when you've just come to another country, it doesn't cost anything, but it's not for long term use.

If you're paying health insurance you should be able to get your son on it.

Posted

If you get married you could put your wife in your health insurance and you could change your tax class to have her as one more not working dependent. And I think there is a different in your taxes and kids if you are married, IIRC when you are married you can have a whole +1 (dependent) for every kid and if you are not married you have only a +0.5 for each, I guess our resident tax expert will confirm this later. Plus if your income is low enough you could have some top up from the Jobcenter.

You have the right to Kindergeld, married or not.

Posted

Getting married will save you money, both because your wife will be on your health insurance and because you are taxed lower. There is a tax calculator at http://www.parmentier.de/steuer/steuer.htm?wagetax.htm where you can enter your monthly wages and try out different tax classes. If you are married, you would be tax class III with 1 child. If you are not, I believe you would be II with 0.5 child.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to receive kindergeld. You may qualify to get wohngeld (help with your rent) or possibly even a social benefits top up if you are very poor.

Posted

My company are taking care of the accomadation costs at the moment i just wanted to know if there is anykind of social benefits she is entitled to or could get.

Posted

Maybe this?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elterngeld_(Deutschland)

Posted

Your child support, surely?

Posted

Nothing left for me to say :)

If your son is younger than 14 months then your gf can apply for Elterngeld, it will be paid to her for up to 12 months, cut-off date is when the baby reaches 14 months.

They base it on your gf's income during the last 12 months before the birth, even if that income was earned in the UK.

Even if she had no income, she would get the minimum of 300€ a month.

As LeonG suggested, the best thing you could do tax-wise and health insurance wise is get married.

Not the first time it crossed my mind.

Posted

The Child is 3 yrs old...

@ poolfanatic... cant someone in "HR" answer your questions??

Why dont you want to tell us your sallary?

Posted

Dunno just don't really want to disclose my personal info but the example I used is close. My son is 3 years old so eterngeld I'm not eligible for now.

In Germany to get married is there any legal requirements or time limits? Or anything specific I have to do first

So basically, I live here already my girlfriend and son come over next week and I have to pay health insurance for my girlfriend and we get no financial help from the government or anything?

Posted

you could get kindergeld (child benefit) for the kid.

Is your gf getting benefits in England? If she's on unemployment benefit, she can maybe transfer it to Germany for up to 3 months.

If you get the kid into kindergarten, your girlfriend could get a job? Then she could pay her own health insurance.

Posted

... I have to pay health insurance for my girlfriend and we get no financial help from the government or anything?

I don't quite understand why you're so flummoxed by this. In your earlier thread: Help with registering and other things, the information on health insurance was mentioned many times. And no, there is no help from the government. Only exception AFAIK might be if you're married and earning below the subsistence level - and what the previous poster mentioned. For more info on Kindergeld, see this thread: Elterngeld and Kindergeld

For information on the procedure for getting married, see this thread: Marriage and getting married in Germany.

Posted

From what I've heard about bureaucracy in Germany, especially when getting married as a foreigner, you might be better off popping off to the UK and getting married there.

Like others have said, you would be eligible for kindergeld and as long as you and your girlfriend are not married and she does not have a job paying over 450€ a month which would get her her own health insurance, you will have to buy her health insurance which will probably cost around 145€ a month. When they arrive, they will need to register at the meldeamt and you should go to your health insurance and register your son under your insurance and see about getting insurance for your girlfriend.

Posted

As far as I know Germans living abroad can get Kindergeld under certain circumstances. Isn't there some aequivalent with UK child allowance?

http://www.hmrc.gov...work-abroad.htm