I am sick and unemployed, can I get benefits?

107 posts in this topic

Posted

I moved here a while ago, but haven't worked here yet. I've just finished my studies and I'm supposed to look for work now, but I'm getting sicker and sicker (mental problems) and I doubt that I will be able to work. I have contacted the psychiatry here, but they haven't called back yet. I wonder what to do. Should I first apply for unemployment benefits, then see if a doctor thinks that I'm sick enough to not work? Can I even get any benefits at all if I haven't worked here yet? I'm a EU-citizen by the way. Feeling very helpless and scared. I've tried to look for information, but my German isn't great. Does anyone know what I should do?

Posted

How/where are you health insured, inteunik? This is a key question.

Posted

Should I first apply for unemployment benefits, then see if a doctor thinks that I'm sick enough to not work?

If you haven't worked in Germany you are not eligible for unemployment benefits (ALG I).

Can I even get any benefits at all if I haven't worked here yet?

As a recent arrival you are not eligible for welfare (HartzIV/ALG II).

Most importantly, the demand for mental health treatment far exceeds the supply and many residents have to wait for months to receive treatment here.

Posted

I have a partner and friends here, and I've managed to find a place in a nice WG. It would feel so sad to have to go back. I want to be able to work here eventually.

I know there is a mental health center for foreigners, that's the one I contacted. I wouldn't have a problem having therapy in English. I have already tried going to two private ones, both American, but honestly they weren't really helpful.

I have the European health insurance card, I don't really know exactly how that works here. I don't have any other health insurance.

Posted

engelchen:

How long do you have to live here in order to be eligible for welfare?

Posted

I have the European health insurance card, I don't really know exactly how that works here. I don't have any other health insurance.

First, in order to receive welfare you need to be legally resident in Germany. In order to legally live in another EU country for more than 3 months, EU citizens need to have sufficient funds and acceptable health insurance. As a German resident you would be required to fulfill all obligations for residents of Germany, including having a German (or BaFin approved foreign) health insurance (EHICs are only valid for temporary stays).

The minimum residence requirements for welfare vary depending under which category the EU citizens falls, however, it is usually a minimum of one year.

Article 7

Right of residence for more than three months

1. All Union citizens shall have the right of residence on the territory of another Member State for a period of longer than three months if they:

( a ) are workers or self-employed persons in the host Member State; or

( b ) have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State; or

( c ) – are enrolled at a private or public establishment, accredited or financed by the host Member State on the basis of its legislation or administrative practice, for the principal purpose of following a course of study, including vocational training; and

– have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State and assure the relevant national authority, by means of a declaration or by such equivalent means as they may choose, that they have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence; or

( d ) are family members accompanying or joining a Union citizen who satisfies the conditions referred to in points ( a ), ( b ) or ( c ).

Source: DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC

Posted

Ok. I have no idea what kind of insurance to get if I'm unemployed, but I'll try to look it up.

Posted

When I was working in another EU country I never had any insurance and just paid full price for all my visits to the doctor. I have lived in Germany longer than 3 months, but just recently got registered here, so I suppose I need to wait 3 months. I have some savings to get me through, and I hope that I can manage to get help here in order to at least be able to work half time.

engelchen: You're being very helpful but maybe I'm a bit daft. Is there really any way for me to get welfare at all, in the future or ever? Or does that completely depend on what kind of insurance I have, as well as whether I've worked or not? I'm sorry, I'm not used to many different insurances.

Posted

Ok. I have no idea what kind of insurance to get if I'm unemployed, but I'll try to look it up.

Sorry, I don't have the time at the moment to give you a proper explanation, however, I don't see anyway for you to qualify for welfare in Germany if you have never worked here (you need to have had been here legally for 5 years first).

Posted

I looked up the rules regarding Sweden, it seems like they are the same. I'm actually a bit surprised, I thought there was more of a shared social security net in Europe.

Posted

inteunik: phone your Swedish national health insurance. Ask them. A Swedish guy mentioned to me the the other week his public insurance is valid for 6 months outside of Sweden. I don´t know.

Engelchen is right, by the way. Another Swede contacted me about two years ago and told me ( he was unemployed and had registered at the Arbeitsamt ) that he´d been given a month to get legally health insured here or be deported. We found a private route. But that would not work for you, given your illness. Good luck to you, though. Mental illness can hit ANYONE.

Posted

john. g: Thank you for your kind answer! I will try to get a grip of the health insurance thing ASAP. I'll try to at least find a part time job.

Posted

Hey, inteunik! Your English is so perfect you could become an English teacher!!! You put to shame many a native speaker on here!!

Anyway, ASK your authority about your status in the Swedish public health system and phone the German public insurer Techniker (telephone: 0800 2858585 ) and ask for an English speaker...maybe you/they can sort something out.

Posted

john. g: Thank you :)

Since it's been about 3 years since I've lived in Sweden, I don't think I can get any benefits from them. But thanks for the telephone number, I will call them!

Posted

inteunik:call them and expect about 4 different answers!! The EU is an interesting concept and ( basically I´m in favour of free movement of people ) I remember in my youth needing a visa to come to Germany..mind you, loved the stamps on my passport...good for the ego at parties :D with my fellow 20 something year olds!! ).

Let us know what happens!

Posted

I have a partner and friends here, and I've managed to find a place in a nice WG. It would feel so sad to have to go back. I want to be able to work here eventually

I didn't mean go back for good. Unfortunately I can't remember the thread title, some time ago a guy who took a break from his studies/job to start inpatient treatment in a psychiatric clinic wrote about his experiences. I thought of something like that.

Posted

Is there really any way for me to get welfare at all, in the future or ever? Or does that completely depend on what kind of insurance I have, as well as whether I've worked or not? I'm sorry, I'm not used to many different insurances.

As a new arrival you are not eligible for welfare and you don't meet the Freedom of Movement requirements. I refuse to help you commit benefits fraud.

You need to either return to your country of citizenship or your last country of residence.

Posted

Engelchen, i am not sure what your problem is...

Everyone from reading this is trying to help and your are being rather short worded and harsh, when in this position i guess you need someone to cooperate with you and help you through the time, not someone like you sayign i refuse to help you commit benefits fraud.

Posted

Engelchen, i am not sure what your problem is...

Freeloading.

Everyone from reading this is trying to help and your are being rather short worded and harsh, when in this position i guess you need someone to cooperate with you and help you through the time, not someone like you sayign i refuse to help you commit benefits fraud.

The only way he can now claim benefits is by telling lies and forging documents (on which I will not advise him).