Writing Master's Thesis in English

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Everyone,

I am currently studying "Mechatronics Master" in Uni Siegen.

I am thinking to write my master thesis in next semester (starting from 01.04.2013) preferably in a company.

But finding a "Final Thesis writing position" in English is not easy task as very few company has that kind of offer.

Even having all the required qualifications, my 50 applications are rejected so far :( .

I am badly in need of suggestions from experienced member in this group .

Thanks in Advance.

p.s: I am fluent in English & I have A2 level knowledge in German.

Posted

Talk to your professors to determine whether they have any contacts (former students) whom you can contact. The university career centre might also be able to give you some advice and you should also ask them about any upcoming career fairs. If your university has an alumni programme for international students, you might be able to find someone with a similar background who is already working in Germany.

Having said all that, I’m not surprised that you are having difficulty finding a supervisor for your thesis. Most Mittelstand companies operate in German and are not able to accommodate a student who can’t speak German. I think your best (and probably only) option is networking.

Posted

Welcome to Toytown, siegener.

I have no equivalent experience to speak of, but if your written applications were titled (or referenced) "Final Thesis writing position" I would think some may have been dropped straight in to the round file (waste-bin) as I can't imagine many folk in Europe would be familiar with your terminology.

In the UK this used to be known as a Sandwich Course, although more recently I've heard of industrial experience blocks being called an Academic Internship. In Germany I think you could possibly have more luck if your requested position description combined the German word Praktikum with the more obvious English term Dissertation Internship.

At least your application letter might get read by someone who is in a position to consider it if the reception clerk knows what it is you're applying for.

You might want to review this for more details.

Good luck, (and give VW a try at Wolfsburg).

2B

Posted

Thank you engelchen for your suggestions.

Asking professors mostly doesn't work because they prefer students to do master thesis in University :( .

University Praktikantenamt is flooded with Non-English offers.

Only choice left is looking for Ex-students from same department.

Hope it is not too late.

Btw Thanks a lot once again.

Posted

2B or not2B thanks for your comment.

Ofcourse during application i mention "abschlussarbeit" (not Master thesis writing position :)).

I thank you for suggesting VW. I will definitly give a try.

Posted

I know of former colleagues of mine who work for BMW in Munich with English as a working language, you could try there. Alternatively, there's a company called Eurocopter (based somewhere near Munich) that also have staff who work in English. Maybe they could offer a mechatronics thesis.

Just a suggestion - good luck!

Posted

Hi siegener,

Where the openings posted for interns, fresh grads, or experienced engineers? If it was an 'initiativebewerbung' then you need to sell them on what you have to offer their engineers and firm as a whole. HR is tasked to find the experienced engineers, but maybe if you can get in touch directly with an engineer at one of the firms then see if you could offer to do some grunt work for someone on his team, such as write C++ code or help out with engineering software application management, this is common grunt work some engineers get stuck with and would be willing to pass onto an intern and could grow into a job. Must make it look like your willing to stay for 6 months sometimes as you'll have to take an engineer's time to get you settled in. But if you get a job offer in that time of course take it if it's good.

I'm impressed with your major and wish you the best.

Posted

As a fellow student who sent out 25 applications last February for a summer internship (entirely in English!), I totally sympathize with your situation.

You missed the Bonding contact messe in Aachen, but ask around for the Bonding book. It's a big fat book filled with information on the participating companies (around 330 in total) along with their contact information. It's worth its weight in gold, trust me.

And as Engelchen said, talk to your professors. You might not know it based the classroom interaction alone, but many of them have excellent industry contacts or might even be actively involved in industrial projects.

Posted

Did you try the university's study abroad office? That's how many of my students have gotten their internships so they could research. I would caution you against representing yourself as "fluent" in English unless you have a near-native ability. This means that you rarely make grammatical mistakes, have excellent spelling and use of appropriate vocabulary and rarely struggle to express complicated thoughts. My English students have occasionally listed themselves as "fluent" on applications when their level is closer to B2/C1.

I second the previous posters' suggestion that you could be searching for the wrong kind of position. I also strongly agree that you need an insider (someone with excellent English and experience working in industry) to review your application materials before you send them out. Even small mistakes in spelling and expression can lead to rejection when there is heavy competition for a position.

Posted

Dan JT,

Thanks for your sympathy :(. I have got the bonding book from Aachen. It helped me to apply all these places I’ve applied so far. Maybe I have a bad luck.

Lblaney,

University Siegen is a quite big university with a very few subjects offered in English. The Praktikant office could not help us to find an offer.

I will certainly think again before claiming myself “fluent in English”.

Till now, I have applied in positions like “Abschlussarbeit/Praktikant”. I think, I did not choose anything wrong.

Posted

Hi,

Some points from my own experience as student and then as a working professional ( although in different engineering field )

1. praktika.de

2. In many company praktikum and Master thesis position can be created on the go, try finding out contact with tech leads in company , and ask them directly.position can be create ,if your profile matches their project

3. Cut the competition : If you apply using famous websites monster, stepstone, then getting a position is a bit difficult. Its more visible and alot more people are applying to this position and a German speaker may be preffered.Find other source of company list.. someone mentioned Bonding, or maybe list of company from Messe. Go to their website and find a position/contact there and apply. it is less visible to world ,and thus more your chance

4. You have said that there are a lot of german thesis position mentioned in you Uni office. Apply to them too , Many company / tech lead dont bother much with language of you thesis , until you are doing the project perfectly. At the end only the work matters (as youll be their for limited time).

5.Increase your number of Application.50 is not much. If you lack german ,you have to increase the number of application to compensate that.

YoRambo

Posted

Hi,

I can suggest you some names but its entirely up to you how and when to approach them. I work on the engine controls development and we have a major use of mechatronics in our line of work.

Try out ALTEN engineering and Adam Opel AG. Opel is a branch of GM here in Germany. Most of the documentation is in English, if you are intelligent and clever enough at your work then they might take you aboard.

ALTEN engineering works as a contractor company for Opel and they might be able to help you in some sort of way to get your internship and thesis work done in Engine controls department at Opel.

All the best for the future.

G

Posted

Thanks YoRambo. You definitly have presented some good and uncommon ideas.

Thanks gaganreyat for suggesting some company names. I will try to contact these places ASAP.