Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ethnic restaurants in Hamburg

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys, I was just wondering of everyone can give me their recommendations on restaurants around Hamburg.

Anywhere Indian, Chinese, Middle Eastern... I may not be here much longer so I'd like to try one or two before I go.

Thanks!

Russell.

Posted

If you're in Bahrenfeld and want sub-continental there is an unassuming little place called Polau at Bahrenfelder Chaussee 25. It's run by two older guys from Bangladesh. It might look like a glorified Imbiss on the outside, but it's got character. The menu isn't long, but every dish is made to order - takes a while but worth the wait. They'll make it nice and spicy for you if you like it that way. Most times we've been there the music playing is jazz or swing. Bonus: it's on vinyl!

Posted

Went to a Brazilian place called Panthera Rodizo on tuesday. It's between the michels kirche and landungsbrucken.

Amazing food. Starts with a salad buffet, and then they just bring various meats impaled on sticks and cut pieces off onto your plate. They also bring beans and rice and fries and veg straight to you at your table. All amazing food. High recommended.

Posted

Went to that Brazilian restaurant after the review here- it was really amazing!!!

Posted

I thought your looking for ethnic German. :rolleyes:

Posted

Many thanks for the replies. Haha well ethnic German can be good too,

it's cool to get the recommendations - especially since Valentine's Day is coming :S

Posted

I was also at that Rodizo place, a Brazilian by us organized it and even she was impressed... Not cheap, but worth it!!

Posted

Well here you go. Right here on TT.

And please review any that you may check out. Our restaurant reviews are becoming outdated on TT and they can be of great service.

Thanks!

Posted

I recommend quan do, a vietnamese place near hauptbahnhof. its cheap and really yummy.

Posted

hi, If you like Chinese, which I defiantly do, I would highly recommend Shanghai.

Review

https://plus.google.com/111886477715310297524/about?hl=en

Its in Fuehlesbutel

Kleekamp 1

22339 Hamburg

its the best I have come across in Germany so far.(still not quite as good as the UK)if you have trouble with the language ask to speak with the chief, he speaks English, think he is from Hong Kong

Posted

Right inside Hauptbahnhof is really great sushi bar.

Posted

I was impressed with the Afghani restaurant Kabul, Steindamm 53.

They do a great deal at lunch plenty for vegetarians and there are some meat dishes too.

There is a fabulous herby/chilli sauce which I used extensively!

Fed three very hungry people with drinks for less than 20 EUROS.

http://www.kabul-restaurant.com/

http://www.kabul-restaurant.com/images/phocagallery/KRBilder/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_KR-01.jpg

Posted

I went to Polau a few weeks ago on a trip to HH based on the suggestion. Great place! Quirky inside, but the chef/ owner took our order, suggested the Indian beer, and made our food really quickly. Spice level to taste, but even mild for my man had a good kick. It was very much homemade with chunks of meat and veg and even bits of spices, by far the most authentic food, like I have had at private homes in India. Not that nondescript stuff most Indian restaurants serve.

Highly recommend! A bit off the beaten tourist path, but worth the trip and super tasty. We ate for less than 30€, including beers.

Posted

For Ethnic 'SOUTH INDIAN FOOD' with dosas, parattos and others, I would suggest to try 'Chennai Mahal' at Buxtehude. It is kind of far, but surely worth if you like South Indian Foods

http://www.chennaimahal.de/restaurant/chennai-mahal.html