Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Searching for international companies

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all!

I'll get right to the point first, before I lose you, and then I'll give a more detailed description. I am looking for a list of international companies in Bremen and/or Hamburg. It would be very useful to know of companies which have English as a work language. Even if you only know 1 company this would be helpful for me!

I moved to Bremen (Twistringen actually) a few months ago, with the impression that it would be easy to find a job without speaking perfect German. I see now that I was sadly mistaken. While I am working on improving my Deutsch, I still need to find some work in the meantime!

I am a recent Graduate from the US with a Master's degree in Business and Bachelor's degree in Psychology. Not a lot of professional work experience, but very successful educationally! I am hoping to get into the field of Human Resources, but would also be open to other business areas (marketing, managing, etc.). At this point I am interested in just about anything which would bring me some income, including teaching english, home-care, or waitressing (very open to suggestions if you have any!!).

I have been searching the internet top to bottom and left to right but what would be most useful to me right now (aside from a job, of course!)would be a list of international companies which might be looking for someone like me (English speaking, with basic German skills). I have a lot of potential, I just need to find the right outlet for it!

:)

Also, it's very nice to join this community and I hope I get the chance to talk with many of you in the future!

Thank you for any help you can give!!

Posted

What type of visa do you have? Will you need a work permit, or do you have dual (EU) nationality?

Posted

Even if you don't have the right to work for all employers, you can get a freelance visa to teach English (not very remunerative work for most teachers, though).

Forget about doing HR work in Germany, though, since you'll need excellent German plus the right training/education for that.

The biggest problem with not speaking German is that perhaps your greatest asset (being a native English speaker), is useless because you'll need colleagues and your supervisor to speak to you in English, and if they can do that in a business environment they don't need a native speaker who can't speak much German.

Posted

In Bremen, Jacobs University is an English-medium university which sometimes has job openings. You could keep an eye on its vacancies page: http://jacobs-university.de/current_job_openings

Irish pubs are more tolerant of employees who speak more English than German, so I recommend looking there for temporary work.

Good luck!

Posted

Get in touch with an agency like dis ag or manpower or ranstadt they have access to thousands of jobs. All you have to do is register then they do all the searching for you. I started off this way after a year working for the agency, on a very good wage I was offered a contract with the company I was working at. Seams the only way in this country to get a job. Said this before on other posts, they will take into account your experience and find you suitable work. Good luck, the language will come with time.

Posted

While that's a good suggestion, unless she has the right to work for any employer in Germany, she cannot be employed by the agencies.

Posted

True, but I was assuming, taking into account she is intelligent enough to gain a masters degree that she would of known she requires a work permit before embarking on her search for work. Just saying... ;-)

Posted

I eternally wonder why people come to this country assuming they can find jobs without being able to speak the local lingo (since it's by far not the first time I've come about this)? I wonder what people would say if went to the US claiming I only speak German and would expect to find a proper job with that prerequisite. Very likely, what?!

Posted

That is a bit of a sad response. Where is your sense of adventure? Are we only supposed to live in places where we speak the language fluently? I would never have left home! I have met many people in the US who do not speak English very well. My advice would be to be realistic though, perhaps you should look into teaching English, as many people do.

Posted

I do very much agree with you. My puzzlement though is the expectation of so many going to another country, seriously thinking that they don't have master the local language and that their own language would be quite sufficient. My first goal would be learning as much of the language as possible before eben daring to apply for a proper job. Anything else I'd consider rather presumtuous if not arrogant. But may I have a different view of this world, where I'd be the guest and not the claiming one.

Posted

I'm a little confused about the work visa. Is is company specific? Or does it allow you to work anywhere?

Posted

Thank you very much for the responses (to those of you who have been positive rather than derogatory). I will definitely look into the suggestions that you have given! And yes I do have permission to work here.

I would like to add that I said I don't speak PERFECT German, not that I don't speak the "local lingo" at all. It is also not the case that I didn't have the intention of learning it. It may be revelatory for you to hear that immersion is a very important and effective method of learning a new language. I would also say that moving to Germany speaking only English would be completely different than moving to the US speaking only German. English is a world language, and quite common and accepted in Germany. Also, to answer your question, the reason that I had this "arrogant presumption" that I could work here before mastering the language was because I was advised so by many German friends, and I have indeed seen this to be the case for many many people in this country. I agree with mswifte that this experience obviously demands a certain adventurous spirit, as well as an open mind. People without these qualities will inevitably "eternally wonder" about the people with them.

Posted

Hi,

I am working in HR and sadly, you will need very good German, to be able to work within this profession.

DIS AG is a good recommendation. There are also good companies in HH, who may be able to help you.

Such as Hays, expertum and lots more.

Kind regards,

Egon