Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hartz IV application - declaring foreign savings?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello All

Am totally new to all this, and would love some advice!

Im currently on Arbeitslosengeld 1 which terminates at the end of March ( last paynent) I have told that I will be entitled to Harz IV.

I have a small amount of savings in an English account, will I have to declare this?

I am currently learning German and am seeking employnent. I am/was here for personal reasons, but those circumstances have now changed.

Any advice on this subject would be very much appreciated.

Also if anyone has a job..Im fit, keen and smiley..then please give me a shout!!!

Many thanks.

Posted

Sorry to hear of your situation. Please have a look at the following threads, which can easily be found using the TT search function:

* Hartz IV for foreigners in Germany

* Hartz IV - to enroll or not?

Also, please be aware that your eligibility for Hartz IV may be limited, or even revoked despite having been told you're eligible. AFAIK, the German government is in the process of closing loopholes that - until now - allowed foreigners to draw Hartz IV benefits.

More info in this thread: No more Hartz IV for immigrants?.

The Arbeitsagentur site also offers information on Hartz IV in English, see here for more info.

All the best!

EDIT: Do also put up a job ad here on TT, specifying what your skills are - you never know what might come of it.

Posted

I have a small amount of savings in an English account, will I have to declare this?

Yes.

Posted

how long have you been here? because as Frollein says they can refuse and "make" you return to England

Posted

Thank you all for such rapid replies and advice!

Great to know that I can put an ad on here too.

I first came here and worked from October 2009 to June 2011, whereupon I returned to England.I came back to Germany in April last year 2012, and have been able to claim AGL 1 based upon my previous work here.

I asked the question at the Jobcenter, if I am eligible for Hartz IV, and the Gentleman said that I was,and that I need to make an appointment with the Jobcenter circa 4-5 weeks before my last ALG1 payment and that things should be ok(?)

I have £2000 in an English account as savings.My passport expires in April of this year, however if they remove these savings then I'm in a bit of a sticky situation.

Once again, thank you all for such welcome advice and I will have a good look through all the links sent this evening, as Im off for a bit of school in a mo!

Keep warm!

Posted

did you not want to give that 2000 pounds to your brother? remember that small loan you promised no interest and pay back on demand?

Posted

They will not refuse your H4 if you only have 2000 pounds. You are allowed to claim H4 even if you have savings up to 150€ per year of your age. As a 42 yo., you may therefore have up to 6300€ in the bank and still claim H4.

Posted

Once, again, Thank you All!

Frollein and LeonG, You restore my faith in the better side of Humanity...no mean feat at this particular juncture!..and timezoner, I guess you remember when 2k was some pretty serious cash,eh? ( my ol' Dad paid 7-8k in '67 for a 4 bedroom house in Tunbridge Wells)