Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Essen from Hamburg?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

Currently, I am living in Hamburg and I enjoy my life here and I also like my job. Recently, I have been offered a job in DB Schenker in Essen and I need to make a decision soon about moving there or not. They offered me the same salary that I have in Hamburg. I don't know very well but I guess the life there is much cheaper there, isnt it? I also feel like I have more opportunity to advance than in my current job but I am not sure about living a great city like Hamburg and move to Essen (I have been to Essen only once in my life actually) is a good idea or not?

I would be glad if you can share your opinions with me.

Regards

David

Posted

Ah, Germanys industrial heartland, my recommendation would be to live in Dusseldorf and do the daily 30-40 minute commute.

Dusseldorf has a similar but cleaner vibe to it than Hamburg (first impressions). Essen and Duisburg have a lot of unemployment, a little culture and not a great number of expats.

AtB, M.

Posted

Don't leave Hamburg! :)

If they paid you a lot more in Essen, maybe you should reconsider, but if your salary remains the same and you like your life in Hamburg, why would you change it?

I was brought up in Hamburg and moved to the Düsseldorf area about 12 years ago. I still miss Hamburg whenever it creeps into my thoughts. Essen is not bad, but it is nothing compared to Hamburg. First of all, there is no water in/around Essen (Baldeneysee does not count!). Second of all: No Kiez. Third of all: No Franzbrötchen. Yeah, okay, not the best reasons for staying in Hamburg, but some worth thinking about ;)

Don't get me wrong: Life in Essen sure is less expensive than in Hamburg and I find people in Essen to be friendly and there are museums, restaurants, the "SPIEL"messe, concerts, shopping malls etc. But there is also a lot of traffic, lots of building sites, it is way smaller than Hamburg and as it is situated right in the centre of the Ruhrgebiet, the air is not always great (just in case you suffer from hay fever or asthma).

The question is: Are you ready for a fresh start?

Lumina

Posted

Hey thanks a lot for your messages!

Actually, I am from Portugal with a cape verden origin ( half portugese half cape verden) but I also speak Spanish. Before moving I was worried about the locals reaction to foreigners and in Hamburg I found out that people are actually great to foreigners here! How is it in Ruhr area? I am working in an international IT company so I really don't see it as a dead-end job but what really impressed me in Schenker is I saw lot of managers in their 30s who take important role for the company and it really impressed me to be honest. I felt like if you are good there is no limits there. Was it only my impression or is it the reality?

Thanks

Posted

Ah, Germanys industrial heartland, my recommendation would be to live in Dusseldorf and do the daily 30-40 minute commute.

Mmm, I would say, stay in Essen and go to Düsseldorf when you want to go out at night. The trains run up to 3-4 AM!

Anyway, what can I say: Essen cannot be considered as "beautiful" by any means, but it's very far from a nightmare. The city center is rather ugly, but there's plenty of nature in the southern part of the city which makes up for it.

Before moving I was worried about the locals reaction to foreigners and in Hamburg I found out that people are actually great to foreigners here! How is it in Ruhr area?

I'm Italian and I did not encounter any problem. They seem however not to be too used to foreigners who come for a "good" job.

Posted

Hi,

I´m not living in Essen, or Hamburg. But due to my work i´ve been spending a lot oft time in both cities/areas.

Essen can not be compared to Hamburg. Even if it actually is a bigger city than Düsseldorf, in terms of number of inhabitants, the citycenter is much smaller.

In my opinion, Düsseldorf have many similarities with Hamburg. But in a smaller format.

Although Düsseldorf have their upper class areas as Oberkassel, Kaiserwerth and Meerbusch area. It´s not so upscale as Winterhude, Harvestehude, Blankenesee

and Nienstedten. On the other hand there are not so many "bad" areas as in Hamburg. But if you think about moving to the area i think Düsseldorf is the right place.It´s a little bit of Hamburg in minformat. But without the beautiful Alsterlakes.

Posted

I don't know, I live near the DB Schenker centrale in Essen, and going there from Düsseldorf everyday would be quite the trundle. First U-Bahn to Düss HBF, then 30-40 minutes of train, then 10 minutes of U-Bahn in Essen.

An alternative solution would be to move near the S-Bahn going from Düss to Essn through Kettwig, so somewhere like Ratingen.

Posted

Hey thanks a lot for your messages!Actually, I am from Portugal with a cape verden origin ( half portugese half cape verden) but I also speak Spanish. Before moving I was worried about the locals reaction to foreigners and in Hamburg I found out that people are actually great to foreigners here! How is it in Ruhr area? I am working in an international IT company so I really don't see it as a dead-end job but what really impressed me in Schenker is I saw lot of managers in their 30s who take important role for the company and it really impressed me to be honest. I felt like if you are good there is no limits there. Was it only my impression or is it the reality?Thanks

People here are used to foreigners here, most of us are or are children or grandchildren of them. More than 10% of the population are foreigners and about half of the population has at least one grandparent from elsewhere. I like it a lot here and found the people friendly and had no trouble making friends and good acquaintances here. You won't find English speakers as much here in Anglophile Hamburg, but there is plenty to do, and if you really need a very vivid nightlife, Düsseldorf isn't that far away. I am not a big clubber so I am happy with what there is in Bochum and Essen and only really go elsewhere for carnival. There are good and bad parts of Essen, so I would just check out the area of a flat before you sign a contract. I think it is good if you can get in a company that gives younger people a chance, more changes for you and probably not as stuck in their own ways. The best thing I can say about here is that I would genuinely sad to leave because I feel really at home here. The trick is just do something that will bring you in contact with people, i.e. join a club, go to a language table, do sport, do a hobby that will bring you in contact with people and you will have no problem finding friendly people.

Posted

Thanks! I decided to spend 2 days in Essen this weekend then I will make a decision :)

Posted

I have lived in Essen for over a year and I don't mind it, and yeah it is a little 'working class' but at times that is better than the snobbery and arrogance that you can encounter in more affluent cities such as Düsseldorf. Like someone else said, Düsseldorf as well as a host of other cities are so close to Essen you can easily escape for a night out whenever you want, and at living in Essen you will be saving a fortune on rent and travel costs which means you will be able to have good nights out more often.