Sky Pace box not switching on

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

Is there any secret way, e.g. hold box button for x seconds to bring back into a powered state a very gray old non-HD Pace Skybox? At the moment, its plugged in as normal, but no signs of life at all.

There was an electrician working on the whole building's electricity system this morning. Electricity was switched off for whole building for most of the day while I was at work. BUT when I came home tonight, with building repairs now finished and building electricity restored to normal my heart sank when I saw my lifeless Sky Box. All other appliances in apartment work as normal, even the appliances which share the same plug point extension block as the Digibox.

With the box plugged into a valid/working electric socket, no activity at all on the digibox. No red light, no green light. Nothing :-(

Admittedly, it is a very old Pace box, but to avoid the whole sky card / box pairing issue I'm not sure what can be done I there's no way to resurrect the box to squeeze a few more years of use out of it.

I've tried swapping out the black cable/plug with another one in case the cable was somehow damaged, but that made no difference. Argh, so disappointed...

If anyone has had something similar - was it something temporary or did it sort itself out after a few days resting / not plugged into electricity?

Posted

Its probably the Caps on the PSU thats failed...

Posted

I had a similar problem last year, there was a power failure in my village and when it came back on it buggered up my old ordinary SKY box. The solution was a new SKY HD box from Bavaria Satellites! Best thing that ever happened to it, HD tv is so much better!

Posted

I've gone through two of them, they just magically stopped working at some point, unfortunately these things don't last forever. If you can't get an answer from the tt skybox guru, just pop down to a department store or electronics store - they start there at about 70 euros for a decent HD one.

Posted

Its probably the Caps on the PSU thats failed...

He Got an answer...

He also wants His Sky box repairing...

Or maybe you missed that...

Posted

but to avoid the whole sky card / box pairing issue

Actually this is really easy. I just called SKY on my mobile, after hiding the number, gave them all the details and within a hour it was done.

Posted

Agreed, it's pretty straightforward to do, so long as you are careful. Sky will also practically GIVE you an HD system if you want. After my system died last year I called Sky and they sent me the more powerful 1TB version (to my UK address) for the princely sum of £40 including shipping, and gave me the HD service for half price for 6 months and sent me £100 of vouchers from Marks and Spencers. I've sinced helped a number of friends do the same.

Posted

in the past 6 Months, Sky have refused to send Boxes... they are now insisting on an engineer delivering and setting up the box..

Also... Maybe the OP doesnt have access to the Address to where the card is registered...

Posted

in the past 6 Months, Sky have refused to send Boxes...

How curious. I can only speak from personal experience.

I ordered one in November and another in December for "self install" without problems. They arrived by courier at the registered address within the week. One was also an upgrade to a non-PVR installation that also needed a dish upgrade. We told the Sky rep that the customer was capable of doing this themselves with a local installer, so no need to send an engineer which they seemed happy to accept. The other was a replacement for a normal Sky+ which was ordered online and sent without question.

I also just checked in my own Sky account online. In theory at least I could order a new 2TB system online for £69 delivered to my door, with no engineer to visit.

Sky also show a "self-install" option on their website

Posted

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments. Since I'm going the repair route, you never know, one day my box might reach status as a "collectible" item like a pacman machine then I can sell it to a museum or ebay it and make a fortune :-)