Asking girls out in German

37 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello, I am a 22 year old guy who just moved to Germany. I am basically looking for the German way of inviting a girl to go out with me, to grab a drink sometime, to hang out, und so weiter. I suppose I could come up with them on my own, but I guess they wouldn't sound very natural. I'd like to learn how a native says it.

I was hoping some of you could help me out with that.

Posted

Oh dear - one recommended way is to get involved in some activity (fitness center or some Sportverein) & you're bound to make contacts even if it takes some time.

Posted

Do not use patterns like:

"Dein Vater muss Astronaut sein, denn er hat zwei Sterne genommen die nun deine Augen sind"!

or

"Deine Klamotten würden wunderbar auf meinem Schlafzimmerboden aussehen".

In fact german girls like foreigners, kind of exotic I suppose, so speaking english should give you an advantage.

And the best way is ask her whether she would like to take a drink with you.

And do not forget eye contact, there you know whether she is intersted in you or not!! :)

Posted

Hello, I am a 22 year old guy who just moved to Germany. I am basically looking for the German way of inviting a girl to go out with me, to grab a drink sometime, to hang out, und so weiter. I suppose I could come up with them on my own, but I guess they wouldn't sound very natural. I'd like to learn how a native says it.

I was hoping some of you could help me out with that.

I reckon it would sound more natural coming from you and not from us! Our average age is 70! :D

Posted

I reckon it would sound more natural coming from you and not from us! Our average age is 70!

But girls prefer older guys! :P

Posted

In fact german girls like foreigners, kind of exotic I suppose, so speaking english should give you an advantage.

Actually this is often the case - especially if you make the effort to try & start in German. I suppose it worked with me even though it took a very long time...

I reckon it would sound more natural coming from you and not from us! Our average age is 70!

Speak for yourself post-10876-13588778314345.gif

But girls prefer older guys!

Not as old as John G. & I are (our ages are almost identical).

Posted

Actually this is often the case - especially if you make the effort to try & start in German. I suppose it worked with me even though it took a very long time...

Yes if I am in a foreign country I am also kind of something special (I remember Jill from Ireland I met i New York... :rolleyes: )

Let's see what happends in England soon! :P

Well maybe not at that age, I do have the problem that I am 30 but look much younger :(

Posted

Together we´re double identical!!! AND both extremely good-looking and James- Bondish - devilishly cool!!! :rolleyes:

Posted

But girls prefer older guys!

Wrong! Older guys prefer girls!! Ah sh...t...I´ve let the secret of the universe out..aargghhh :D

Posted

You could say something like "Hey alter, was geht ab?"

Hopefully the OP knows to take such advice with a pinch of the proverbial.

AND both extremely good-looking and James- Bondish - devilishly cool!!!

You mean shaken & stirred?

Posted

I should clarify I do know a good deal of German, I just don't know much Umgangssprache. I'm not looking for pickup lines nor am I asking how to meet girls. For example, what's a colloquial way of saying ''Want to grab a drink with me sometime?'' or ''We should hang out sometime'' or ''You should come over and watch a movie with me''?

Posted

"do you want to come back to my place, bouncy, bouncy?"

Or was that for Hungarian girls?

Posted

I'd like to learn how a native says it.

Actually, they don't, at least not with the same intentions. And if you try without the necessary preliminaries, you might get a rather rude brush off. If you just want to hang out with them as friends, no problem, that's the way they'll most likely understand it anyway (going dutch included).

You might want to use the search function to find flirt related threads, there are only billions.

To put it like this: In a country where prostitution is legal a very direct chat up with a more than friendly intention will either be misunderstood as an invitation to hang out as friends, or come across as really rude, because it basically signals you take her for a slut. Depends on what you say and if you knew her before, as well as were you meet her.

By the way, a good way to get to know German girls is to get to know German guys first. Less trouble.

Posted

If find this works really well.

You must be quite surprised that an awesome guy like me is talking with you?

Posted

I should clarify I do know a good deal of German, I just don't know much Umgangssprache. I'm not looking for pickup lines nor am I asking how to meet girls. For example, what's a colloquial way of saying ''Want to grab a drink with me sometime?'' or ''We should hang out sometime'' or ''You should come over and watch a movie with me''?

'Want to grab a drink with me sometime?'' = Hättest du vielleicht mal Lust mit mir etwas drinken zu gehen?

''We should hang out sometime'' = Vielleicht können wir mal etwas zusammen unternehmen?!

''You should come over and watch a movie with me''? = Wenn du Lust hast können wir einmal einen Film oder eine DVD zusammen anschauen.

Posted

There is no german equivalent for let's hang out sometime.

You could try these - "Hast du Lust heute Abend (morgen,Samstag, whatever) mit mir einen trinken zu gehen"? or "Ich wuerde dich gerne auf einen Kaffee (Tea, etc) einladen"

Posted

Best place to ask is probably leo.org, where there are loads of native German speakers you can ask. One of your phrases is even in the dictionary there.