I saw wild animals

59 posts in this topic

Posted

In cultivated fields near schonefeld we saw a team of deer apparently eating grass. This was 3 days ago.

Today I saw a lonely deer on the train tracks at 11.00 in the night staring at the tram. It was really beautiful just like bambi :)

So I wonder what kind of animals have others spotted here, foxes? deer? wild boars? And which time of the year? I never saw deer in summer, but

it looks like I will see a lot in winter.

Posted

Standing on our balcony in a little Dorf, I saw a badger in the field across the street.

Posted

I saw a ten foot chicken walking into a steakhouse. That was weird as hell.

Posted

There's been a flouncing badger recently sighted.

Posted

We had a sweet brown bear in Bavaria a couple of years back...until somebody shot him :(

post-10532-13587531536039.jpg

RIP Bruno

Posted

In Berlin you can see often foxes, wild-boars, squirrels and gazillions of bunnies.

P.S., Wild-boars can be very dangerous, stay away from them.

Posted

A sparrowhawk on the bike shed eating a pigeon. Grey herons. Jays. I had never seen any of them while growing up in Wales.

Also cranes flying over (ditto).

And a mole (sadly dead, strangely smaller than one would imagine).

Posted

The only mole I ever saw was dead too, I always thought they were bigger too, was very surprised at how tiny it was.

Apart from that, I've seen loads of boars, hedgehogs, weasels, foxes, deer, badgers, nutria, squirrels, racoons, newts, a few snakes, rabbits, various mouse species (not to mention loads of rats on the train tracks...), herons, storcks (and countless birds of prey that I couldn't determine)

There's probably more on my list, but I can't recall them right now.

Posted

Deer, wild boar, rabbits, hedgehogs, foxes, squirrels, martens, rats, mice, snakes, salamanders and tons of birds around here.

Posted

A collegue of mine hit a wild boar with his car on a Autobahn in Bavaria. The boar was dead afterwards and the car had become scrap metal.

Posted

I caught our dog chasing a mole round the garden in Summer, I managed to catch it and release it far far away

This little guy visited our garden last night, I thought they were supposed to be hibernating?

post-33867-13587650342223.jpg

Posted

They are supposed to be hibernating. It may be sick or too small to survive. But sometimes they do just wakt up if their nest is disturbed.

Posted

We saw a dead siebenschlaefer last year, apparently that's an edible dormouse - it was really cute.

Posted

They are supposed to be hibernating. It may be sick or too small to survive. But sometimes they do just wakt up if their nest is disturbed.

He "looked" quite healthy and was moving around quite quickly. We put some cat food and water out for him.

Posted

I saw racoons on my mother's deck and heard them under the living room floor.

Posted

The cutest visitor we've had in the garden was this guy (or gal)

post-33867-13587657912462.jpg

Posted

He "looked" quite healthy and was moving around quite quickly.

Probably nothing to worry about. We have a ton of them around here in the summer and fall. So cute.

Posted

I hope the little family of hedgehogs that nested under our office building is okay. So cute... parent and three teeny-tiny baby hedgehogs frolicking around the back of the building last fall!

Posted

don't really want to flood this thread with furry animal pictures, but this guy visited last winter

post-33867-13587663255368.jpg

Posted

We have a hedgehog residing within the ivy roots at the side or our house.

The fields opposite used to frequently have up to a dozen deer on them, now that its been wired-off with horses there in the Summer months there are less sightings of deer (carefull when driving!) but they still removed a significant number of plants from the garden. Occasionally we get red squirrels in the garden. And too many moles (though for some reason we havn't had recent visits).

Birds? Jays, magpies, all sorts of smaller birds. Bussards can be heard calling most days. Woodpeckers hammer at the local trees & occasionally the posts holding up the power lines.

EDIT: Saw quite a lot of Kranich(cranes) flying over last Autumn.

Posted

I've often spotted wild bores in the streets of Berlin.