German classes for children

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I am looking for German teacher for my 6 year old, preferably to come to our house. Can anybody recommend German teacher who have experience working with kids?

Thanks!

Posted

Sorry, I'm wandering, what for do you need that? Do you have too much money? Just send her to daycare or school and within two months she'll be speaking German fluently. My son started school here a bit more than two years ago with zero knowledge of German at the age of 8 and was just fine. Now he's one of those few pupils in the class who's getting best marks for German. Playing with other kids in the playground (when it's warm again) also would help.

Posted

This is an old topic, but I have similar question. I would like my two sons (10 and 15 years) to learn German during the summer and before the school. Are there any language schools in Munich teaching children? I've searched a lot, but could find just summer camps which are out of Munich and quite expensive. I agree they will learn German in school faster, but still I would like them to be prepared as much as possible. Thank you in advance.

Posted

How well do your children already speak German? Will they be attending an international school in Munich?

Posted

They are at A1 level (English much better, B1-B2). I am not sure about international schools because I could read here that they cost some normal amount, but on their websites I saw some other, huge numbers :), so I am not actually sure if we can afford the international school/s. I would appreciate if someone could answer on this question also, although it doesn't belong to this thread.

Posted

Are there any language schools in Munich teaching children? I've searched a lot, but could find just summer camps which are out of Munich and quite expensive.

Since all children living in Germany are required to attend school, there is no market for private German lessons for children during the school year. You'll only find summer camps/classes during the holidays.

You might be able to get your older child into the VHS courses, however, this is not going to solve your problem.

I agree they will learn German in school faster, but still I would like them to be prepared as much as possible. Thank you in advance.

Young children can learn German relatively easy, however, your older child is too old for the German school system (and even for the younger one it'll be difficult).

I am not actually sure if we can afford the international school/s. I would appreciate if someone could answer on this question also, although it doesn't belong to this thread.

If you cannot afford international or private schools, you might want to consider having your children continue their studies where they are.

See Moving to Freiburg with family of 4 which now has many examples of foreign children in the German school system.

Posted

They can continue their education in the local gymnasium, that's (almost) no problem, but I would like if they advance in German during the summer. Then they would be better prepared for the coming school year.

Posted

From my own experience trying to find German tuition for my daughter, it is fairly unlikely that you will find anything other than summer camps. These summer camps can be great fun for the kids and they are likely to learn a lot more in the social setting. I was told, though it may vary, that VHS is geared to over 16s. You cold also try...

Any if the Nachhilfe franchises such as Schülerhilfe. Our local one offers holiday courses. If you approach them, perhaps you can ask for a one to one tutor for your kids. After my daughters first 6 months of Schülerhilfe, the tutor now teaches her privately which is a huge amount less to pay.

Put up a wanted ad in the local shops and kleinanzeigen.ebay.de. Some teachers might like some extra income. You might also find suitable students.

It's quite late to organize something though I would honestly think that your kids will get the most from some kind of group activity.

Good luck

Posted

Someone else may be interested about this, so here is the result of my investigation :)

MVHS has summer courses for children and I made to put there my two kids ;) They have everyday classes from 14:00-17:15.

https://www.mvhs.de/index.php?StoryID=1965&show=Bereich&BereichID=105734&SemesterID=1