Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Health insurance for UK pensioner

39 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

My parents have just moved to germany and have received S1 forms from the NHS, for their health insurance from the UK as they are pensioners.

Do these S1 forms mean that they won't have to pay for their health insurance here in germany? will this fully cover them here?

Also, what documents will they need when they go to apply for the health insurance?

Many thanks for all replies.

Posted

Thank you very much PandaMunich for your detailed reply.

But I was wanting to go with AOK- but are the TK better than AOK generally?

Yes, they only have a UK state pension.

I am very greatful for your reply.

Posted

Yes, Techniker regularly wins the award for best public health insurance.

AOK is just the default insurance, while TK was previously only open to technical staff which is a healthier group than the general population, so they have more funds than AOK and can afford to be more generous should your parents need any medical treatment.

Medical doctors also prefer patients from TK since they know that they will get their fees more easily and faster from TK than from the other public health insurances.

TK are also one of the few health insurances that offer information in English, see here.

Posted

... They will then get issued with Techniker Krankenkasse public health insurance cards, and in the background TK will get reimbursed by the NHS for whatever medical expenses your parents incur.

I think what you say in this sentence is an overstatement of a much simpler system, PM, unless of course you know otherwise...

As far as I know monthly blanket payments flow between participating countries on a per capita basis, with (in the case you are discussing) the payments passing from the UK govt to the German govt and not from the NHS to a specific Krankenkasse in connection with a person's actual healthcare costs.

Posted

Based on what the public Kassen have told me, AncientBrit, the NHS pays out money to the individual Krankenkasse and the individual Krankenkasse to the NHS. This is only a point of detail and not a major hassle for the individual pensioner. And I´m not 100% sure of the truth is.

I have found out in a recent case that it may well be different for retired members of the British Armed Forces in Germany who, it seems, are not covered by the NHS in their service time here but by the UK Government.

Posted

Hello all,

My parents have applied to TK krankenkasse and it has been two weeks and they have now received a form asking for "Angaben zu Einkunften"

Does anyone know whether the krankenkasse needs information on their income? Will the krankenkasse take money from their state pension to pay for the health insurance? I was under the impression that the S1 forms would cover their health insurance?

Many thanks for all replies.

Posted

Are your parents pensioners, sunshine25?

Posted

Thats whats stated in the first post...

Posted

Ah yes, HEM! So they shouldn´t have to pay anything then but they will have to provide information about their UK pension and prove it.If they have any sources of income from Germany, that would be a different matter, though.

Posted

John - what if they happened to have interest etc. from UK sources?

Posted

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/retire/healthcare/index_en.htm

As far as I can ascertain, HEM, treatment here would still be free but I´m not 100% sure. It depends...

We have clients who are not working any longer and who are from the UK but pay into the system here because they have interest/savings etc in the UK. They are not of retirement age and healthy. On the other hand, we had a British client a couple of years ago who was mid-40s but unable to work for health reasons - he didn´t pay anything despite savings etc.

It also may depend which country you come from in other cases which system you´re covered by...( see above ).

Posted

@sunshine25

It might be that Family health insurance with the GKV could assist you in case any of the posts are relevant to your parents' situation.

For example, could it be that your father is the S1 holder and your mother, not yet herself a pensioner, is dependent on him?

Or could it be that your parents became pensioners in or after 2011 as mentioned in my last post to that thread?

Posted

... If they have any sources of income from Germany, that would be a different matter, though.

Not just from Germany, john g.: AFAIK income from any source anywhere can affect some EU pensioners here...

Posted

Hello, thanks for all replies,

Ancient brit - you are absolutely correct -

quote -

"For example,could it be that your father is the S1 holder and your mother, not yet herself a pensioner, is dependent on him?"

and on the form they have marked a cross on this -

"Ich habe Angehorige, die Leistungen in Deutschland erhalten mochten und bei der TK zur Leistungsaushilfe eingeschrieben werden sollen"

Posted

"lch habe Angehorige, die Leistungen in Deutschland erhalten mochten und bei der TK zur Leistungsaushilfe eingeschrieben werden sollen."

What does this mean exactly?

My mother is not claiming anything in germany, she is dependent on my father through his state pension. Will this effect their claim on their health insurance?

Posted

Don't worry, that is what Leistungsaushilfe means, that they will charge the UK for her health costs.

Posted

. . . provided that sunshine25's mother is not a pensioner, depends on the father's pension and has a total monthly income from any source(s) anywhere (inc. interest on savings) below the Bezugsgröße for Wessiland for 2013 (382 EUR) . . . as far as I know

Posted

Your correction made me think I'd lost my ability to divide by 7, but to my relief I found my original note of the 2013 monthly Wessiland Bezugsgröße where I had carefully written down "2675" as copied from the Wikipedia table. Obviously it's only the ability to read a number and copy it accurately that I've lost. Ah well, one can't be good at everything ...

Posted

Don't worry, my special bugbear is switching around numbers, e.g. 27 instead of 72 (I squarely blame the difference between German and English ;)), so I have gotten into the habit of double checking myself :D

Posted

Hello and thanks for your replies,

Yes my mother is not a pensioner and has no other source of income, therefore I am still confused as to why they crossed the box.

Any ideas?

Posted

"Ich habe Angehorige, die Leistungen in Deutschland erhalten mochten und bei der TK zur Leistungsaushilfe eingeschrieben werden sollen"

This is on your father's form, and with it he applies for family health insurance cover for his wife, i.e. your mother.

Translation:

"I have relatives who want to be health insured in Germany (i.e. his wife) and who would like to be covered by TK through the Leistungsaushilfe program."

Leistungsaushilfe means that TK will get in the background the NHS to cover your mum's medical costs, i.e. that they are just "helping out" (= aushilfe) with the "service" (= Leistung) of providing health insurance, since they happen to be a health insurance in the country (Germany), where your mother is located at the moment.

So they are only a stand-in for the NHS, a stand-in who just happens to in Frankfurt and speak German.

Posted

... Yes my mother is not a pensioner and has no other source of income, therefore I am still confused as to why they crossed the box. Any ideas?

With all due respect, sunshine25, you might have used a little self-help on your question about Leistungsaushilfe before taxing the forum (in this case PandaMunich) with yet another task on your behalf.

Even often-wrong Google Translate gets it pretty much right this time while at the same time offering to correct PM's minor typos:

Ich habe Angehorige, die Leistungen in Deutschland erhalten mochten und bei der TK zur Leistungsaushilfe eingeschrieben werden sollen

Did you mean:

Ich habe Angehörige, die Leistungen in Deutschland erhalten möchten uns bei der TK zur Leistungsaushilfe eingeschrieben werden sollen

I have family members who wish to receive services in Germany are to be enrolled us at TK for benefits assistance

Posted

Hello,

Thanks Pandamunich for the explanation, now I understand the sentence better, and I am sorry AncientBrit, I did try to research the sentence and could not find an exact explanation.

Again, I did not mean to waste anyone's time, I really didn't know what TK were asking.

And thanks again to all who replied.