Will be in Giessen for 6 months

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys so I have been placed for an internship in a company just outside of Giessen.

I've been to Germany before, but I was was studying for 3 months in Munich so I know to expect some differences. (For one, I'm guessing that I'll not be greeting people with "Grüß Gott".)

So care to tell me a bit about Giessen?

Posted

In comparison to Munich you should expect hardship. I have been to Giessen on business trips several times.

Posted

Well, for a start, Gießen is a small town out in the middle of nowhere. My sympathies.

Posted

Hi,

good luck surviving Giessen for 6 months. I lived there myself in 2011 before moving to my permanent place in Bavaria and at least in my case it's like living in two different countries.

I miss only two things, the Indian restaurant by the train station, and a restaurant called "Zum Loewen" that is downtown in the side street right next to the Postbank leading to the Giessen shopping street. Great food, go there for lunch, for 6 Euros you will be amazed. I forgot the name of the Indian restaurant, but a husband/wife team run it, the man still wears his turban and the restaurant is very cozy. In the Italian place "The Loewen" the waiters are all nice and treat you like family. No matter what you eat in there, it's good.

Negatives: Transportation after 7pm is very patchy, like one bus an hour, nothing really after 10pm etc. so getting around is tricky. We had no car when we lived there for 7 months and established a relationship with a Taxi place that had their office down the street from us. 5 Euros within city limits to use them on a regular basis. Plus, ask for a card where they stamp each trip, and you get a free ride after 10 rides.

Shopping gets boring after a few trips at the Giessen shopping street, shaped like a T with a small mall, a Karstadt department store, tons of women clothing stores and a few expensive smaller shops.

Night life - nothing going on.

Restaurants - thumbs down (only the two above are worth it eating there)

People - mostly rude, not very social, student town with public transportation crowded most of the time

City - dirty, not very appealing, not much history to see due to large destruction in world war 2

Housing - rent is kind of expensive for plain apartments

Tips: Take a stroll at the small Botanical Gardens that is located across from Postbank downtown. Just walk down one of the side streets until you see the sign/gate.

Take the train to Bad Nauheim (approx. 25 min.) and spend a day there to visit the Thermen, see the great Architecture there etc.

Posted

Transportation after 7pm is very patchy, like one bus an hour, nothing really after 10pm etc. so getting around is tricky. We had no car when we lived there for 7 months and established a relationship with a Taxi place that had their office down the street from us. 5 Euros within city limits to use them on a regular basis. Plus, ask for a card where they stamp each trip, and you get a free ride after 10 rides.

Do you have any info for that taxi company

Posted

There are lots of wonderful small towns to visit near Giessen. Try Büdingen, Gelnhausen, Braunfels, Marburg, etc. Get out a map and see what else is near-by. Glauberg has a good Celtic Museum and the archeology here is interesting. Frankfurt is not that far away either, with regular trains running between the 2 cities.

Posted

The taxi companies name is Star Taxi & Minicar.

Troppauer Strasse 8

35396 Gießen

Telefon: (06 41) 3 33 37

Their office is located behind the Lidl grocery store parking lot. That street is Troppauer Strasse. They are on the right hand side in a little strip mall building next to a Turkish neighborhood store. It is a Turkish family business, and everyone is really nice. Taxi's arrive usually very fast after you call (5-10min.)and if you need something transported just tell them you need one of their mini vans when you call. Same price.

We started out using them a few times and noticed that the prices always ran in the 5-7 Euro range. They gave us a card to have stamped when we used them and also just ended up charging us 5 Euros every time, even going from one side of Giessen out to Gruenberger Strasse on the other side. We used the taxi approx. 2-3 times a week, mostly evenings or in bad weather if the bus just left.

You wrote that you will live outside of Giessen, do you need housing also?

Posted

Thanks, germanyherewecome! That will be nice to know ahead of time and at least have a taxi number handy just in case. I seem to have a tendency of getting stranded in places. :)

Love the reward card thing.

I should be all set for housing since they (AIESEC) are arranging it for me, so I'm guessing I'll end up somewhere near the uni in Giessen, since their AIESEC chapter are the ones doing my arrangements. I just hope I don't live alone like I did in Munich. That was a weird feeling. Especially, since I lived far at the end of the train line near a clinic and a kindergarten and it felt like a ghost town. Hopefully, I'm near some students who exit their rooms once in a while for something besides laundry.

Oh, and I'll be working in Heuchelheim.

Moondancer, I'll definitely try to get some exploring done. Plus, I'm curious to see what non-Bavarian small German towns are like, and if there really IS that much of a difference.

Also, can anyone tell me, how bike-able is Giessen?

Posted

Have you made the move yet? I live in a small village near Giessen and I have yet to find anything interesting about that place. I wouldn't bike around Giessen, but I suppose it is bike-able. I'm not a fan of biking in traffic. Scary!