Arrived in Friedrichshain last night.

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone, I just arrived in Friedrichshain last night. I speak hardly any German at all but heard most Germans speak good English. When I found my Transfer Driver he didn't speak any English at all so it was a bit of an awkward journey. Anyway I was really tired last night to go out and see what there is to do. This morning I get up and I walked around for about 2 hours and didn't really know what I was doing. I went to a Subway and they guy didn't speak English in there either. I'm feeling very isolated at the moment, I know I should have learnt German but it was a last minute thing. I literally only have the German vocab that I remember from school which are greetings and saying thank you/please. Is there any decent bars around where they speak English? I really want to go out for a drink and meet some people, but nervous that no one is going to understand me and it's going to be very embarrasing.

Thanks in advance.

Posted

Welcome!

Put Friedrichshain in the search box on the top right of your post.

Posted

Go and meet this guy: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=283605&st=0&p=2959172&fromsearch=1&#entry2959172

Posted

I really want to go out for a drink and meet some people, but nervous that no one is going to understand me and it's going to be very embarrasing.

Why don't you just go out for a drink anyway? You don't have to be embarrassed because you don't have to speak to anyone. Maybe someone will overhear you ordering a beer and feel confident enough in their own English to strike up a conversation themselves, in which case problem solved.

Even if you don't talk to anyone, you might get a better feel for the place.

Win all round :)

Irish boozer always a good place to start:

http://www.qype.com/place/372132-The-Happy-Pigs-Berlin

Posted

Are you in Berlin on vacation, or did you move here permanently? How do you live, do you have flatmates etc.?

Posted

Hey,

welcome to Berlin.

It's not in Friedrichshain, but we're having an English-German language exchange meetup in Pankow tonight. It would be great to see you there. You can meet a lot of English speeking people and, if you like, practice and improve your German.

Toytown Meetup Pankow

Also check out the meet up in Kreuzberg on Tuesdays. :)

Toytown Meetup Kreuzberg

Posted

English is spoken in F'hain, I have no problems getting about, but I also know enough german to do so if the person behind the counter does not know enough english.

Drinks: Simon Dach Strasse is ok, most servers in the bars there speak english. But too touristy for my tastes. The Happy Pig has gone down hill since one of the partner's was forced out, and the regulars have stopped going there... Sad, closest thing to a real english pub around here. There is a bar I like on Boxhagener Str. called The Cafe Stadler, the owner speaks english, as do most of the staff, great beer too. Close by to Ostkreuz...

Good luck

Posted

On several occasions when I'm trying to speak German unsuccessfully I've had English speaking bystanders step in and help out. It's more frustrating to me than embarrassing. I'm starting a language class next week but haven't had too many issues going about my day with the little I currently know.