Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"Your chain needs oil"

61 posts in this topic

Posted

I guess you're right, Chocky. I did have one friendly exchange once, with a young fellow whom I caught admiring my road bike on the S-Bahn (I'd bailed out of a ride due to snowfall). Well, we had a long chat, discovered all sorts of stuff in common, and we're still acquaintances today. Frankly, I wish I had given the rusty-bike guy the useful tip he (maybe) needed to hear, and then given the old hag the cold-shoulder for complaining about ripped jeans.

Posted

I guess you're right, Chocky.

I was being facetious, i've had loads of really nice conversations with random elderly Germans when out and about, but as unfortunately seems to be the norm, too many people of a certain age see no problem with using the word 'foreigner' in the pejorative.

Posted

I only get frowned at when I forget to say " Tschüß " when getting out of a lift/elevator!! :)

Posted

...oh, when I was 19, I was in Bonn waiting for a bus and got chatting to an old German who asked me where I was from. I said: " London..have you ever been there? "

He smiled ( a bit) and answered : " Well, I´ve flown over it ."

Boom tiss. ;)

Posted

So - what do you do? Have you had a friendly exchange go sour? Or surprise you? Or is it best to keep one's mouth shut?

Had all of the above :lol:

Makes no difference what you say or do.

On a slightly different note, this weekend I am fixing my trousers (a lot of fine stiching work), cooking a couple of cakes, and, making a couple of meals that are so large, that at least 10 portions will be frozen.

I agree with the old girl and with you - Torn jeans have been a fashion for a long time. You should not criticize someone for wearing that kind of fashion.

Where I come from, torn jeans are an anathema. They fall apart quick enough without me having to buy them with holes included.

I spend at least 2 hours a week, stiching my (work) clothes back together.

Which is probably what the old girl meant.

If you come from a certain time or place, you just get used to fixing every little thing.

Grumpiness regarding how the rest of the world does things is, mostly,

intentional ;)

Just visited your profile here, j-a. I wouldn´t worry about what anyone thinks. You are hot.

Posted

Hi,

His chain was badly rusted

Some Years ago I had a situation: I had to fill up my car, so I drove to the filling station and noticed that the car in front of me had one break-light broken (the bulb not the glass). So I yelled something like "Hey mate with the red Volvo, your left break-light is broken!". He looked around and saw that others had heard that and answered something like "And your car has rusty rims, you F*cker".

The point is that some folks in Germany (especially elderly) are deeply embarrassed when you point out some malfunction in public. To them this sounds like "You lost control over your life; you can’t even take good care of your gear".

They consider simple things like what I mentioned above as deeply insulting as getting on a full bus and the bus driver grab the microphone and say "Gentleman with the red shirt, may I inform you that the zipper is open".

If no one else is around to hear about the malfunction people are usually thankful for the hint. But not when other strangers are around.

Cheers

Franklan

Posted

I don't know, I think look friendly or maybe the people here are very friendly but often people just randomly start talking to me everywhere. It is always awkward when you are at places like a bus stop or train platform, I am never really sure if that getting on is meant to end the conversation because a lot of people continue to speak to me and other times they disappear without even saying good-bye.

Posted

I spend at least 2 hours a week, stiching my (work) clothes back together.

Which is probably what the old girl meant.

Right. When I told her that I, too, have clothes that are torn (gasp) because they have worn out, she said that was entirely different. At least I hadn't bought them with the holes! Well, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Just visited your profile here, j-a. I wouldn´t worry about what anyone thinks. You are hot.

Wow, farmerandy, thanks! Flattery will get you everywhere! Wouldn't you know, I've been nursing a crush on you ever since your rants about food production in Germany and your generally sassy Aussie tone-of-voice. Now you're in Oz and I'm heading back to the U.S. of A. ... Ah, what could have been!!

Posted

Hah, forget Germany. I was in NYC and as I passed a UPS truck in mid manhattan getting a ticket, I noticed the driver at the back loading the truck and, naively, warned him that he was getting a ticket. He immediately feigned shock and then started laughing, saying he got tons of them. I told him to fuck himself, and kept walking to the Subway. I don't know why I got so offended. It really was harmless ribbing on his part. I've not spoken to a stranger since :/

Posted

I never do that here as Germans just don't know what to do with that level of familiarity. I misss that...a lot. I only do it now when I know it is an expat.

Me too. This aspect of living in Germany I will never ever get used to. Just opening up and babbling. The Germans I know see this as highly inefficient.

Gerroff! I saw her profile pic first! :)

Posted

It sounds to me like the old biddy's "chain" needed oiling!

Yes, being too "familiar" with people here can present problems, but after a while you sort of adapt to their way of doing and being a little and then the "new you" presents itself to the world!

Posted

justanne: in case you missed FarmerAndy´s Xmas wishes to us all: :D

http://www.toytownge...1&#entry2949293

He´s one of the Toytowners I´d REALLY love to meet in person ( truly)! But you first: noblesse oblige!!!