What is up with German milk?

60 posts in this topic

Posted

The smell of German milk is putting me off using it. It usually doesn't smell fresh when I first open it and within a day it usually smells like the countryside.

Maybe this is real milk and the milk I'm used to in the UK is far from natural, but I'm having a tough time getting used to it.

Does anyone else notice this or is there something I'm missing?

Posted

What is hitting your nose is the smell of a highly regulated farming sector which produces unadulterated and hormone-free products. If you're unsure, buy some of the "bio" shit which is more traceable. But mainly it's the cows' diets which these days has very little grass & hay and is mostly grains with additives (concentrates and wastes from breweries & other food production).

Also, make sure you're getting what you think you are: 3.2-2.5% (Vollfett) = "blue top"; our "green top" equivalent (Fettarm) is actually 1.5%-1.8%, so somewhat 10-25% lower in fat (and flavour). "Red top" or "skimmed" here is Magermilch, not very common, and will be labeled as 0.1/0.3/0.5% fat content.

er factor

woof.

Posted

I switched to soja milk not long after I moved here, because I started to notice a distinct smell of cow, especially in tea. I just assumed it was a difference in the method of heat treatment.

Posted

taste like milk to me...

Posted

Milk packs (long life) stored at room temperature are obnoxious to me. I prefer those from refrigerator. Which one did you try or both?

Posted

post-4788-13585024511085.jpg

Ah, for the old days when we went to the next-door farmhouse and got milk fresh from the cow - via the centrifuge, of course. Let it stand overnight and you had top milk, a layer of cream about an inch or more thick that you could have made butter with. Now that milk really stank.

Posted

Rewe's homebrand is the only milk I'm aware of that doesn't smell strange. It's one of the rare kind without a "länger frisch"label.

Posted

That's interesting. I know that Aldi, Lidl, Penny and some Edeka markets sell ESL milk now.

Posted

The smell of German milk is putting me off using it. It usually doesn't smell fresh when I first open it and within a day it usually smells like the countryside.

The smell of German long life milk does put me off too. It certainly does not smell fresh and the first time I tried to make a cup of tea in the office I almost poured it down the drain but a German colleague stopped me. I have to say that I never drank long life milk in the UK so I can't make a comparison between long life milks here and there.

In Germany I always buy fresh milk, preferably non-homogenized (e.g. Hemme Milch). It does contain more fat (3.7%) than the standard Tesco/Asda milk so its smell is a bit intense, but it is quite close to UK's Gold Top made from Jersey and Guernsey milk. That was the milk I used to buy before coming over here.

Posted

I used to buy milk at Aldi until they introduced ESL (extended shelf life), a few years ago. I find it very hard to tolerate the smell. I also never buy non-refrigerated milk, the smell and taste really put me off.

@ westvan: yeah, it's really hard now to find "traditional" milk.

Posted

I believe it is the UHT process that extends the shelf life of the milk. It also kills all the helpful nutrients of the milk. Horizons organic milk in the U.S. does the same but they were sneaky about it and didn't declare it on their pitchers. We buy our milk from the farm down the road. It is not labelled organic but it sure tastes and smells yummy. And when I open their pitchers, I have slice through the 2 inch thick cream on the top. Yum!

Posted

It'll last longer if you keep it in the fridge.. :rolleyes:

Posted

I don't touch H milk; it just doesn't taste like milk.

I either get Landliebe full cream from Edeka, or Bio-full-cream from Aldi. Never noticed any unpleasant smell.

I'm wondering if it's not the Germans who are hyper-sensitive to food smells, as per another current thread...

Posted

I don't touch H milk; it just doesn't taste like milk.

I either get Landliebe full cream from Edeka, or Bio-full-cream from Aldi. Never noticed any unpleasant smell.

Landliebe is lovely... Did any one try milk from turkish shops. Their yoghurts are yummy and taste different than supermarket ones. Wonder if it's the same for milk.

EDIT: Thanks Krieg.

Posted

I think it would help to be clear as to whether you have got the milk from the fridge or the shelf. I mean we do have long life UHT milk(shelf life about a few months) in the UK, as well as pasturised (shelf life about a week) and pasturised cool filtered (2 weeks). I mean you may know you've chosen the right milk and it still smells wrong, but it would be helpful if we could be sure because people do make mistakes and have misunderstandings.

We get normal pasturised Lange Haeltbar milk because I'm the only one that drinks it.

Posted

Aldi milk is ESL milk and Landliebe is microfiltered. I do remember the milk tasting a bit different when I moved here over 20 years ago but the taste and smell of the ESL milk you get everywhere now doesn't bother me at all.

H-Milch is a different story. It definitely tastes like boiled milk (because it is) and my family won't touch it for drinking. I sometimes using it for baking though.