No video signal message

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I've just switched on my telly and am finding that I get a "no video signal" message. It was working just fine yesterday and I haven't changed anything.

Checked cables, all well, tried out different sources but to no avail. I can watch my recorded stuff via the dvd record strangely enough.

I've a tv connected to an external antenna, the dvd recorder and the digital receiver thingy you need here. The usual source is scart, but nothing else is working right now.

Did some googling but nothing helpful came up - any idea of what is wrong?

Posted

Your description is a little confusing.

• Is the message precisely "no video signal"?
  • Your DVD recorder works, but German TV (antenna) and digital receiver (satellite?) do not?
  • Has anybody been near the TV (cleaner, cat, dog?)? - note that a SCART connection is VERY easy to knock and lose connection, even if it seems to be correctly plugged in.
  • Do you share services (antenna, satellite) with neighbours? Have you asked them if their TV works?

Posted

Yes, the message is exactly that - no video signal. Tried it this morning and it's still the same.

No pets, kiddies or anyone who has been near TV. It just stopped working. I have checked all cables several times. I don't really understand that I can watch stuff I recorded on my dvd recorder but don't get the TV programmes to work, either via scart or via the built-in receiver.

No shared services....

Posted

What is the make and model number of the sat receiver?

Have you tried to into any of the menu modes of the of the receiver like setup ?, do you then get some kind of picture?

If you can get a menu picture up, then the problem probably lies in the input to the sat receiver!

Posted

..and youre SURE the sat receiver is switched on?

Posted

try a different cable from the wall to the tv and see if you have a signal.

Posted

Well, I unearthed another receiver thingy, connected, ran scan and presto, all TV channels there. With old receiver, there does seem to be a scart problem since the screen is green tinged, when I switch the scart cable to the upper scart all is fine but then I can't use my dvd recorder. I think the original problem must be the weather, since even the old receiver is working again, albeit greenish.

I've set up the other receiver now, I've got tv channels working and I can watch my recorded stuff on the dvd recorder but I can't record. As soon as I switch on the recorder, I can't see the stations anymore. Aaaaaaaaaargh!

I've connected it exactly the way it should be, the TV Scart goes to the TV scart on the receiver, the dvd recorder into the "VCR" scart. It's a TechniSat Digipal2. The left scart is for VCR, the right one for TV. It's the same set up...I've a Telefunken TV.

I really need the dvd recorder to record things - and I don't know what else I can do.

Posted

and I don't know what else I can do.

Sounds like it needs someone who knows what they are doing.

Call a (wo)man in?

Posted

Sure. Care to find one for me? When's the last time you've come across someone who does stuff like that anymore?

I'm well and truly fecked right now. At least I can watch the bloody thing for now.

Thanks for the replies though.

Posted

You are not alone, I have a similar problem since I was forced to switch to a terrestial antenne. I lose the picture or the sound and put it down to the weather interefering with the signal. My TV used to be connected to a Satellite dish on the roof, but then stopped working and my landlord refused to do anything, blaming my connection.

Could be, I need a new Scart cable connection to the TV, but am now used to the occasionally losing the signal!

Posted

when you switch the recorder on, can you try to change the output on the dvd recorder to TV-in rather than DVD? or something similar to this logic? (the dvd recorder could be overtaking the tuner, and sending you its own chanel rather than relaying the tuner channels once on...)