Interning in Basel and staying in Germany

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I am studying in Germany and will be doing my Master thesis in Basel (about 7-8 months). Is it better to stay in Basel while working there, or living in Weil/Lorrach/some other place in Germany? I will hardly be paid around 500 CHF , so I will definitely be looking for part time jobs. I hope there is no tax reduction for students . Any suggestions on where I could live and sites for the same would be greatly appreciated. I have to apply for my visa soon and the Swiss institute is recommending the cross border permit. So, I am looking for quick suggestions to take a decision and inform them about the same. Also, I tried to look for accommodation in Weil on some sites but could not find any . If anyone has any contacts/suggestions, it would be very very helpful.

Best regards,

Menorca

Posted

The main thing that comes to mind is that everything from food to rents and in between is going to be close to three times as expensive in Switzerland as it is in Germany.

So if it was me, I'd try to live on the German side of the border.

Posted

I'm curious as to why a Swiss institution would recommend that a non-EU national live in Germany. Why should Germany give you a visa to live there if you are studying in another country? Granted Germany is cheaper and many EU citizens choose to do the cross-border thing but for EU citizens it's not a problem. For non-EU (at least for working) it seems a bit more tricky.

Posted

I am on a student visa in Germany till December, 2013, and my desired duration of thesis in Basel is April to October. Hence, the institution thought that maybe living in Germany and commuting everyday would be less of hassle for me. But, I wanted recommendations as to what would be better and where I could find part-time jobs as well as reasonable accommodation.

Posted

Anyone living in Weil/Lorrach/any place near the border???Any references for accommodation?

Posted

Well, if your visa stays valid then by all means live in Germany as it is cheaper. But you'll be hard pressed to find a WG or furnished room in Weil am Rhein because it is a very small place and the rents reflect the fact that you can commute to Basel easily. Perhaps you should look in Freiburg and take the train. Might be cheaper then a short term furnished rental in Weil am Rhein which can go for about 600 euros per month. And as Freiburg is a university town, you are more likely to find a short term WG for a decent price.

Posted

Hmm. Thankyou for the suggestion. I just looked it up, and it takes about an hour to travel in RE. Would there be passes for daily travel between Germany and Basel?I shall try to find accommodation in Freiburg too.

Posted

I will hardly be paid around 500 CHF , so I will definitely be looking for part time jobs.

Where do you think you can find a job? You won't be allowed to have an extra part-time job in Switzerland. Although you could work in Germany within the 120 days/year provided for in your study permit, you'll be very lucky if you can find even a mini-job to fit your schedule (and that is assuming that you speak German).

Is there anyway you can negotiate for a higher internship salary? I know HiWis in Switzerland who were earning about 1200CHF/month and were only required to work 10hrs/wk. Or better yet have them include accommodation in Basel? Unless you have savings, a scholarship and/or regular support from your parents you'll not be able to afford to take this internship.

I'm curious as to why a Swiss institution would recommend that a non-EU national live in Germany.

I suspect that the Swiss institution would also need to act as a guarantor for a Swiss L permit (for an internship) and they might not have to if he is issued a Grenzgänger permit.

I just looked it up, and it takes about an hour to travel in RE. Would there be passes for daily travel between Germany and Basel?I shall try to find accommodation in Freiburg too.

I think any savings on rent you’d end up spending on the train passes. Although food is much cheaper in Germany, rent for a room in Freiburg also isn't cheap.

Posted

Hi there,

try looking up Ferienwohnungen (vacation apartments) under different town websites. They may give you a break in the out of season times, or even give you a good deal if you stay for many months.

The other option: Place an ad in the local paper that you just look for a room for a certain period of time and put in it how much you are willing to pay.

Good luck with your studies and finding a place!