Carpooling (mitfahrgelegenheit.de) is for flirting

113 posts in this topic

Posted

The driver drove a particularly luxurious car, one that I never thought I would find

myself in. I wonder how come this guy needs others to pay his petrol?! he was very

well dressed and looked very wealthy. He had music pretty loud during the trip and

played two songs that are sort of about women, twice.

Usualy im allowed to take a cup of coffee covered for not spill in the car but

he made a rude gesture that this does not belong in the car, and so I threw it away still hot.

He barely gave his hand when i offered to shake at hallo.

WHEN WE ARRIVED AT DESTINATION I TOOK MONEY OUT AND HE SHOWED ME

HIS HAND, A GESTURE I CANNOT DECIPHER ALTHOUGH IT APPEARS PRETTY

INSULTING (FOR WHOM THOUGH INSULTING I DONT KNOW), ALTHOUGH I TRIED

TO SAVE THE SITUATION BY LAUGHING BUT HE DID NOT LAUGH WITH ME...

HE seemed to have done it really SOLELY to find partner and hence he showed me in fact

his contempt for the payment I think:/

So im a bit annoyed now.

I bet he felt bad and non successful and wanted to show it to me but why dont they

understand that not all mitfahr are for flirting? Maybe cause all of them are?

Posted

Thank you Jim, nice answer. I did two mitfahrs today so i have a lot to share, but both of them included a lot of talk between strangers and cause I also travel by train but never talk to strangers, I wondered why so eager everyone is to talk in those carshares.

And usually its young people up to 30 arond and never too young or too old!:)

And the last edit above is the most strange mitfahr I ever had, with a guy being rude and normal here and there and driving a super luxury car that left me and my elderly mother looking at each other like in movies when something goes terribly wrong? How can he ever need the petrol money? Oh please!

Posted

I will not join a mitfahr again without bewertungen :/

Posted

It could have been worse.You could have taken a bus in India.

I find it strange that a woman would get into a car with a total stranger anyway.As for driving an expensive car does not mean that guy had much money.Some use their car as a means of transportation, others to express a desired lifestyle.Who knows, maybe he just leased it to impress you.

Posted

I know people who've used it and people who've offered rides and they do not do it for flirting. They do it to get from A to B cheaper. There is a certain risk doing it. I remember one woman saying that you can get a crazy driver who is going way too fast and everybody in the car peeing themselves for fear and I have heard a guy who has offered rides say that his gf was offering and ended up alone with the car with the last male passenger and he was weird and it gave her a scare. I'd agree with you that you should not do it without a bewertung.

Posted

The driver drove a particularly luxurious car

He just wanted to show off his car, his tiny penis probably wouldn't have impressed you..

Posted

Jenjen, I think you are being a little bit over-sensitive about all of this!

Of course you chat a little if you are in somebody else's car - it´s probably about the only time some Germans get to practice their small-talk skills!

However, what you choose to tell the other party is entirely up to you - you don´t even have to tell the truth, but bear in mind that they don´t either!

Maybe some men do get hopeful, but if you happen to mention that you are a lesbian sort of near the beginning, then that can also solve the "problem"!

Posted

WHEN WE ARRIVED AT DESTINATION I TOOK MONEY OUT AND HE SHOWED ME

HIS HAND, A GESTURE I CANNOT DECIPHER

Like this? post-14697-13582334916956.jpeg

Posted

Sorry to hear of the bad experience!!

I'd just like to say that I have never had any problems or negative things to say about using mitfahrgelegenheit, mitfahrzentrale or adac websites to find a ride.

I've used them numerous times, but normally only travelled with non-smoking women drivers unless it wasn't possible. I also organised a lift for 2 kiwi friends of mine from NRW to Berlin & they had a good journey with the male driver.

Never ever heard anything about flirting, partner finding etc!

Posted

Morning,

By the nature of mitfahrgelegenheit - you may get an odd fellow passenger or driver now and again.

I've personally never had any issues with the people, even with executive cars, that I've ended up sharing with (or taking with me). As for coffee courtesy, I always ask before bringing it in the car, although on most trips the driver stops and everyone piles out for cup a SERWAYS finest :)

Sure some have been overly chatty, but to be honest, what else are we gonna do to kill the time to Berlin!

Posted

what else are we gonna do to kill the time to Berlin!

Two words: road head.

Just kidding - but jenjen56 did imply that in her OP

Posted

Am I paranoid or every single carshare is flirty?

Every single carshare is NOT flirty, ergo it's the other option you gave.

Posted

I heard carsharers who drive either do it for the money, or else they do it to take boredom away from longer journeys.

a pal of ours, a mature student, uses carpooling loads. he has made lots of new chums through it.

am sure it can be a way to romance but not so sure that is the norm.

Posted

You got a free ride in a nice car. Assuming his insulting hand gesture was him refusing your money.

Stop analyzing already.

Posted

It's called "shaking hands", it's quite a common gesture in Europe and is not a sign of "flirting". You need to urgently read up on European conventions if you are to survive in this country.

...it's quite a common gesture anywhere civilized humans are found.

She needs to urgently read up on human conventions...

Either that or you're just nuts.

...or both.

Virtually every American/European song ever written is about women.

Well, most at least...

You are so out of your depth it's almost funny.

Yes she is...yes it is.

Me thinks she is either paranoid or really, really likes herself... :blink:

Posted

As she talks about shaking hands herself she clearly knows what shaking hands looks like.

I wondered what she meant by 'showing her his hand'; if she meant the gesture in the photo above (#10), that's a normal sign of refusal.

Posted

yes, I DID think the possiblity that he leased to impress but he was having a bad spoiled brat attitude for a German pretty impressive, I think it was his car and not leased

I'm the one who offered to shake hands and he seemed surprised for a bit or actually reluctant.

In the car he smoked when the ride was adverited nicht raucher but ok others do it too.

He had the music so loud my ears still hurt. At that point I was so angry for the attitude im getting and already in his car without others I did not want to mess it by asking him to lower it. But I also got a glimpse in german hip hop this way I suppose...(note that I only took it off for a while to find something in that pocket I was not trying to be in the seat next to the driver without the seatbelt through the entire journey)

when I needed to find something and did not ask for lights he switched the lights on so that I find it in my pocket. When I took the belt off he asked that I put it on again.

ok scary but with the belt on please

and yes usually the drivers stops and allowed hot coffee in the car so I thought this time that I buy it already since I will buy it anytime soon, but next time I will ask the driver first

Posted

a misundersting happened cause I wrote it in a non clear way

at the end he showed me the begging hand, not the shake hands hand!!!

like beggars open the palm? like that, in a pretentious way too, I laughed even in front of him cause it was hilarious doing that

when he drives such a car?

anyways, thanks for replies, for myself I will keep the ones with bewertungen and the ones frauen fuer frauen... you can have the rest if you

like adventure

Posted

Feels like a friday post...

Posted

I don't refuse to chat, if the driver or other passenger is chatty its ok for me and I practise my German this way Although they usually speak perfect English so they end up practicing their English. If they are courteous we split it half English half German...so

everyone practices.

Why is every mitfahr with good looking mid 20s or 30s Germans who do appear as if they can surely afford the train ticket? I thought I would

find poor immigrants mainly in car sharing. I am just surprised.

Oh, in one train share situation, he messaged me afterwards with ''Till next time''. That was a very smiling guy, I felt uncomfortable in the train. Call me ''paranoid''.