Keeping your house smelling fresh all day

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi TT,

I constantly have to struggle with keeping my house smelling fresh because I have two dogs, one of which has a skin disorder and is kinda stinky no matter how many baths he gets....

Anyways what is your favorite method of air frehners.. for example. sprays, plug -ins, oils, potpourri, etc. that keep the house smelling fresh all day and not just for 5 minutes after you spray something. Do you have a favorite brand or method...

thank you!

Posted

In the past I've had up to three large breed dogs (primarily rotties, dobies, and pits) and the best possible thing is to vacuum, dust, and mop twice per week. Airborne fresheners, even candles, can easily damage a dog's lungs. You shouldn't even smoke in a home with dogs, although I realize that's a lost cause. Other than that, since we're in Germany, you have to open your windows three times per day minimum for mold mitigation and you should be golden.

In addition, bathe your dogs once a month no matter how large they are. Tea tree oil dog shampoo (available everywhere) keeps the dog smell off the dog. The doctor may also recommend a shampoo for your kid with skin issues. If you have fabric furniture, you'll probably have to keep the dog with skin issues off the furniture. That smell does not disappear without steam cleaning.

Posted

I only use tea tree oil on myself for insect bites, for instance, but not on my pets as it may be toxic for pets.

I'm lucky that my dog doesn't smell strongly, only when he's wet.

Posted

This may help with your smelly dog, coconut oil is great for dogs with skin conditions. There's a lot of information out there in the internet regarding coconut oil and dogs with skin conditions. My neighbour's dog was always itchy and always smelled like a raw turkey!! She was told about it by her vet and after 3 months the smell had gone and so had the skin complaint. Might be worth a try.

dogs health and coconut oil

Posted

There are dozens of tea tree oil dog shampoos sold at pet stores and vet's offices worldwide. Of course, only fools would put undiluted tea tree oil on their pet, which is the only time that the tea tree oil is dangerous to the animal unless you simply do not properly rinse your dog of all the shampoo. I've used it for over twenty years and all of my dogs have lived to be 15 or older.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a radical diet change for the dog with skin problems? For example boiled, skinned duck and brown rice. It worked really well for my friend who had an English Bulldog with recurring skin yeast infections.

Posted

Thanks for all the concern about the doggie but I have tried a lot of remedies and the vet says its a chronic problem I just want to know what type of things you use or do that give your house a really nice smell...

Posted

I have a few air fresheners, the type with the sticks which soak up scented oil scattered around.

The rest of it is more boring and hard work - air the place thoroughly every day, no matter the weather. Febreze the hell out of the dog's bed and mat a few times a week. Clean the house, particularly the floor more times than I would like to. I vacuum / sweep every day in the main living area and where the dog sleeps - it's a pain the the backside, but it doesn't take too long. I vacuum and mop the whole house three times a week at least. Maybe it's psychological, but I feel that the whole place smells fresher when the floor's clean.

Maybe that's not a lot to some people, but I sometimes feel that the vacuum / mop is an extension of my arm :(

Posted

Open the doors and windows for a while most days for an hour to let out bad smells, I use throws on furniture which I change often because my dog sits on the sofa, I use candles with scented oils on the top for nice perfume, but mostly I use hoover bags for pet odours and carpet deo for the carpet and rugs at home, and mop the floors with pine scented floor cleaner.

Posted

Why don't you throw the stinking dog out.

Who likes to live in an apartment with dog smell, scenting candles and perfume odor? I think, I would have to puke.

Posted

http://www.lampeberger.co.uk/

They work really well!

Posted

Buy some lemons, preferably organic ones, grate their skin and put it in several little bowls around the house. It works like magic. :)

Posted

Or a cheaper alternative. Leave white vinegar (tafelessig) in bowls around the house. I used this method to get the stink of vomit out of our car. It worked overnight.

Posted

I'm pregnant and we have two dogs and a toddler. Airing the place out several times a day really helps. That means really opening the windows on all sides of the place and letting it get super cold, but only for about 3 minutes. It makes a big difference.

Posted

TThis is what i needed thank you.. we also have some carpeted areas and I always feel like its traps bad odors in I hate it... anyways I will try some of these

Posted

In the past I've had up to three large breed dogs (primarily rotties, dobies, and pits

Thanks for painting us all a clearer picture of what kind of person you are.

Posted

A great site with a lot of "recipes" that you can use as home-made, natural fragrances.

http://tipnut.com/fragrant-home-13-simmering-pot-recipes/

I tried one of my own:

Olive oil

Water

Lemon Juice

Cinnamon sticks

Cloves

Fresh Nutmeg

Fresh Basil

Fresh Thyme

Put the mixture in my little oil burner and lit the tea light underneath and once it got boiling, I could smell the fragrance as soon as I entered my living room.

Cheap and cheerful.

Posted

Thanks for painting us all a clearer picture of what kind of person you are.

Yes, I am the kind of person who adopts unadoptable adult and elderly dogs from shelters and gives them a loving forever home. What kind of person are you? I mean besides the kind who has nothing constructive or original to say.

Go on! Give us something new.

Posted

Easy remedy for your carpet:

CARPET DEODORIZER / FRESHENERS:

RECIPE 1:

Sprinkle baking soda on carpet, leave on 15 minutes or longer, then vacuum as usual. This will naturally remove pet and other odors from your carpet.

RECIPE 2:

For a fragrant carpet freshener, combine 4 cups baking soda, 35 drops Eucalyptus essential oil, 30 drops Lavender essential oil, and 25 drops Rosewood essential oil (or any combination of essential oils), mix in a bowl breaking up any clumps to disperse the essential oils. Sprinkle mixture on carpet and let sit for at least 15 minutes before vacuuming.

source