Want to learn sign language in Munich

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys,

My new years resolusion is to learn how to sign. I am looking for a school or maybe a person that would like to teach me signed language :)

Do you know anyone who does that? Or a place where I could learn?

xx

Posted

Great new years resolution. :)

Just one minor problem: Do you speak German? To a fairly high level? Because here in Germany, you will learn German sign language, taught in German. Sign language in German is called Gebärdensprache, and there are all kinds of courses.

There are hundreds of different sign languages in use around the world - if you haven't yet, I recommend reading this Wiki article for a start.

If you don't speak German, then you need to decide which sign language you want to learn (American, British, Polish... etc.) and search for resources online.

Posted

Don't tell me German, French, and English sign language are all different languages?

Posted

Yep. Why wouldn't they be? German, French and English are all different spoken languages, after all. ;)

Posted

I know they're all different. Tbh I wanted to start with English sign language, but if I won't find it, I will start with German ;)

And yes, I tried google already but couldn't find anything that would satisfy me :P. That's why I decided to try Toytown, like maybe there's a person who could teach me (like a tandem) or something..

Posted

They wouldn't be because it would be incredibly stupid for each country to invent its own incompatible sign language. Sign language is a relatively recent development?

Posted

Here you go (English)

German

But to practise you might want to look for a communication partner.

Gehörlosenverband München

If you don't know deaf people they will be able to point you in the right direction.

I am sure there will be ways to learn and help at the same time.

And check youtube. Loads of vids.

@MadAx: Part of it is finger alphabet, and although the signs might be the same, the words are different.

Posted

It's true what your friends tell you, that signing is unique to each language. I think the letters and numbers may be the same, otherwise signs differ according to the spoken language of the signer. This site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Sign_Language will teach you more than you want to know about various signing systems.

Posted

I KNOW they're different :D I want to learn both, german AND english :) Thanks you guys! :))

Posted

@im.ur.stranger

Did you take a course in sign language?

I am also looking for one, in English, can you recommend me something?

I found just this one, which is in German, and next enrollment is in 2-3 months from now:

http://www.gmu.de/service/gebaerdensprachschule/

And another one that would be free for beginners, but I think it is only in Berlin:

http://schule.gebaerdenfabrik.de/