Cuckoo clocks in German homes

43 posts in this topic

Posted

I follow various travel-related sites (like Trip Advisor, etc.) and it seems that whenever someone asks where to buy cuckoo clocks in Germany, at least one responder (and sometimes a native German) just HAS to point out that Germans don't own cuckoo clocks and you will never see them in German homes. Is this your experience? Just curious.

Posted

I follow various travel-related sites (like Trip Advisor, etc.) and it seems that whenever someone asks where to buy cuckoo clocks in Germany, at least one responder (and sometimes a native German) just HAS to point out that Germans don't own cuckoo clocks and you will never see them in German homes. Is this your experience? Just curious

You can buy them in most Jewelry shops.

Of course some people in Germany do own one.But they are not as obsessed with them as Americans are with them.What do American visitors bring along when they visit Germany? Cuckoo clocks are/were the most popular items to bring along from a trip to Europe.Contrary to the general believe they are made in Germany and not in Switzerland.I hated cuckoo clocks but I still have one at my cottage. I was repairer of them when I started in this business as an apprentice and those machines are not designed with a repairman in mind.(like most modern gadgets.)They are a novelty but woe be you if they stop running,you may be better off to chuck it and buy a new one. :blink:

Posted

I have never seen one in someones home. Then again, I live in Frankfurt and not the Black Forest.

Posted

I haven't either. And I've never heard of someone owning one. I've never even seen a real one. I wouldn't even know where to buy them. Maybe in some tacky souvenier shop, but "normal" furniture shops or shops that offer clocks and watches don't offer them. Maybe in the Black Forest, but not where I come from.

Posted

The only home I've ever seen one was as a child, in my Great Grandmother's kitchen in Co. Tipperary, in Ireland. I've no idea where it came from, but I remember being fascinated by it.

As for here in Germany, I have never seen one here.

Posted

8 of the worlds largest cuckoo clocks are in Germany, two above cuckoo clock shops

Posted

Joining the chorus of those who know NO Germans who own a cuckoo clock... and I would say I know quite a broad range of Germans.

Posted

We have a small one that my husband brought home from the flea market. It just hangs there and is not allowed to tick or cuckoo because it drives me insane. No one else we know has one.

Posted

Aren't they typical from the south-western mountain region? I've seen one in a Stube above Friedrichshafen. Doesn't seem like it would fit in a standard home, unless you live in a mountain village.

Posted

TBH, I think they're more typical in films feeding the foreign imagination about German mountain villages.

Posted

I think they're typical in films feeding the foreign imagination about German mountain villages, TBH.

What kind of imagination? (We don't have those movies in Italy so idk)

Posted

You might find some homes in the "Schwarzwald" that have them but mostly Cuckoo clocks are cheap rubbish that gets sold to holidaymakers from abroad who want Germany to live up to all the cliches!! I´m sure most countries have this sort of souvenir shop nonsense!!

Posted

We are Brits (live in NRW) but have lived in the Black Forest and therefore we have two one ticks 24/7 no cuckoo noises it has been set ( by us ) to quiet. So cuck to you!

Posted

Here in B-W just about every souvenir shop has them. You won't find them in regular clock departments. Tourist Kitsch.

Posted

Never seen one in a German household. My parents had one, which they took back to the UK after a visit to the Black Forest. When my sister’s boyfriend used to stay overnight they made him sleep on the sofa in the living room where the clock was. It drove him stark staring mad as it cuckooed every quarter of an hour and played Edelweiss every hour on the hour. Must have been love, coz he still married my sister. And my parents left the cuckoo clock to him in their Will.

Posted

I follow various travel-related sites (like Trip Advisor, etc.) and it seems that whenever someone asks where to buy cuckoo clocks in Germany, at least one responder (and sometimes a native German) just HAS to point out that Germans don't own cuckoo clocks and you will never see them in German homes. Is this your experience? Just curious.

We had one in our house when I was growing up. I have never seen one in a German household. They sell them online. I think it is more a regional thing for the Black Forest.

It drove him stark staring mad as it cuckooed every quarter of an hour and played Edelweiss every hour on the hour.

Hence the name "cuckoo" clock!

Posted

I have seen one in a German household, guess I am the only one.

Posted

I was given one as a present once. My German wife wouldn't let me put it up.

I will though when she lets me build a bar in the garage :P

Posted

when she lets me build a bar in the garage

Like that's going to happen. :D

Posted

Never seen one in a German household. My parents had one, which they took back to the UK after a visit to the Black Forest. When my sister’s boyfriend used to stay overnight they made him sleep on the sofa in the living room where the clock was. It drove him stark staring mad as it cuckooed every quarter of an hour and played Edelweiss every hour on the hour. Must have been love, coz he still married my sister. And my parents left the cuckoo clock to him in their Will.

And my parents left the cuckoo clock to him in their Will.

and punished him.

Has Germany changed!

I.m not surprised at all that those stupid clocks are dying out.It still leaves a bad memory in my mind.Luckily I'm retired and don't have to touch them anymore.

One other thing I would like the clever people of TT to ask, what was the income tax rate in Germany in 1951? I did not make much money then so I never paid attention to it.(my daughter would like to know.I looked at google but only found the US rate)