Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kindergeld Application Question

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate any advise with a letter that I got from Familienkasse today. I am a UK citizen and relocated to Germany for a new job on Sept 2012. Both my wife and daughter are also here with me in Germany. I don't speak German and it has been difficult getting things involving paperwork done so far. I subsequently applied for Kindergeld, and they came back to me after 4 months asking for Freizuegigkeitsbescheinigung. I am not sure what is this, it translates to Freedom of Movement Certificate on Google Translate. Since I am EU citizen, I thought that I do not need any extra documentation to stay here.

Please can you help advise. Is my British passport considered good enough for a Freizuegigkeitsbescheinigung?

Thank you.

Posted

Here is the Dresden web page on applying for the Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung.

They are no longer issuing Freizügigkeitsbescheinigungen in many cities, for example, they stopped issuing them in Berlin just a few days ago.

As soon as the German president signs the new law and it gets published, the Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung will be obsolete, see here: http://www.info4alien.de/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1352677015/4

But if they want one, you will have to get one.

Go to:

• Abt.-Ltr. Staats- u. Ausländerangelegenheiten
    1st floor, room 163
    Theaterstraße 11
    01067 Dresden
    http://www.dresden.de/de/02/or/or_struktur/strukturelemente/stadt_dresden_6350.php?lastpage=zum%20Anliegen

and take along:

1. a biometrical photo of yourself (if you don't have one, they usually have photo machines in those state institutions, allocate a further 6€ to 8€ in 1€/2€ coins for the photo)
  2. passport and a copy of passport (both yours and your wife's)
  3. your Anmeldebestätigungen (= the pieces of paper you and your wife got when you registered your address)
  4. your marriage certificate
  5. your child's birth certificate
  6. your work contract
  7. a copy of your last 3 salary statements
  8. your health insurance card
  9. a filled in form Erhebungsbogen für Unionsbürger nach § 5 FreizügG/EU
  10. 8€ in cash

If you care for some light reading, here are some threads on the Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung.

Please also update your location in your profile to Dresden.

Posted

Personally I would question their requirement for you to provide one. Unless there are any doubts as to your origin or issues over your acquisition of nationality your UK passport combined with your residency registration essentially proves your entitlement to one, so I can't see why they need to force you to go through the hassle of getting one, when otherwise it is not necessary to have.

EDIT - it has been pointed out to me you may originally be Malaysian so may have subsequently acquired/adopted British Nationality rather than citizenship. In this case I can understand why they wish to see a Freizügikeitsbescheinigung.

Posted

Hi PandaMunich and YL6,

Thank you very much for the advice. My company HR called them up to enquire why I needed the FreZu despite being a EU citizen, and was told that if you want to claim benefits from the government, then you need it. If you are not claiming anything, then you don't need it.

Strangely, the HR then checked my file and found that I have the FreZu after all. I have sent it off the Familikasse now. Hopefully I will get my Kindergeld soon, been waiting for 4 months. All my other colleagues mentioned that they get the Kindergeld within one month.

Any idea if the Kindergeld payment is usually backdated to the original application date?

Posted

Any idea if the Kindergeld payment is usually backdated to the original application date?

Yes, don't worry.

It is even paid up to 3 years retroactively, so you could have only applied for it in September 2015 and you would still have got all of it, all the way back to September 2012.

Posted

To be fair, my husband is German and my kids are German citizens and it took us 3 + months to get the first Kindergeld payment. Which was backdated to application and came in a lump.

Posted

I'm expecting the same fun and games here in Berlin when we apply for Elterngeld. The FzB has been abolished here completely. Even the Ausländerbehörde stopped issuing them last week. So, why does the 2013 Berlin application form for Elterngeld request the stupid thing?

Application form

Kopie des Reisepasses mit Aufenthaltstitel oder Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung (EU) und Meldebescheinigung

The form is new, for births from January of this year and they are still requesting a now obsolete form in Berlin.

Posted

The FzB has been abolished here completely.

Although the Bundestag has passed the law abolishing the FZB, as of last week the Bundespräsident still hadn't signed it into law. Technically the ABH in Berlin has jumped the gun by stopping to issue them as of January 7, 2013.

On the other hand, the ABH Berlin has also provided a very practical solution on their website.