85th Annual Academy Awards 2013

97 posts in this topic

Posted

post-9625-13578259739144.jpg
So they've announced the nominations for the categories 2012's movies. And here are the nominations of a couple of categories:

Best Picture:

• Beasts of the Southern Wild
  • Silver Linings Playbook
  • Zero Dark Thirty
  • Lincoln
  • Les Misérables
  • Life of Pi
  • Amour
  • Django Unchained
  • Argo

Best Director:

• David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook)
  • Michael Haneke (Amour)
  • Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
  • Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)
  • Ang Lee (Life of Pi)

The winners will be announced on February 24th and hosted by Seth MacFarlane.

Oscar Nominations Announced

AMPAS

Posted

Whoa, is it that time already? :o

Thought the announcement came in late January. Thanks for posting, FT!

Posted

Posted

How was Amour nominated? Though a wonderful, wonderful film, I would think it would be nominated for best foreign language film. It is in French.

Frankly, I think good films are good films, and there shouldn't be a distinction, but if that were the case, there would be many "Hollywood" films that certainly wouldn't make the list.

Posted

I will try to watch a few of these when I'm in the US later this month - they rarely make it to Germany in time to see them before the Big Night.

Posted

At Cinema, Beasts of the Southern Wilds has come and is long gone, Life of Pi is still playing for another couple of weeks (we're going on Wednesday), Silver Linings Playbook is currently running (crappy times, though) Argo still has a couple of shows, Django Unchained starts next week, I think Amour just finished at the Theatiner Theater (just French movies)...

Posted

Thanks, I'll look up the schedule now that I am not longer swamped at work.

Posted

I saw Les Miz last night with my daughter in the UK!

Loved it! I had read the book and loved it decades ago, and seen the London musical many years ago. But it's the only one on this years list I've seen.

My daughter has seen Life of Pi and loved it. I saw its trailer in 3D last night on the big screen and it certainly looks impressive.

Posted

At Cinema, Beasts of the Southern Wilds has come and is long gone, Life of Pi is still playing for another couple of weeks (we're going on Wednesday), Silver Linings Playbook is currently running (crappy times, though) Argo still has a couple of shows, Django Unchained starts next week, I think Amour just finished at the Theatiner Theater (just French movies)...

Beasts of the Southern Wild is playing tomorrow at 10.15 and on Monday afternoon at 14.15 at Cinema. It's also playing tonight at 22.40 at City Kinos (with German subtitles).

Posted

I haven't seen one movie on the Academy's list, but I will tune in so I can see Seth McFarlane host, see some clips from the movies, to see what everyone is wearing, see the bloopers, and to see if a naked man runs across the stage. :D

Posted

I bet it'll be just like that one time that Neil Patrick Harris hosted the Tony's.

Posted

Live broadcast of the Golden Globes awards ceremony is just a few hours away. The red carpet event kicks off on NBC, Prosieben in Germany and E! in the UK. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are the hosts of the Globes.

I'm going to Tivo it. B)

Posted

How was Amour nominated? Though a wonderful, wonderful film, I would think it would be nominated for best foreign language film. It is in French.

Actually it's been nominated in both categories (Best picture and Best foreign language movie), but I'm as puzzled as you are. I don't understand how it's possible and even think that the double nomination is likely to be a disadvantage (though I wouldn't mind being proved wrong on that score!).

Posted

It has happened before, but La Vita È Bella only won the Foreign Language category.

Awards

Life is Beautiful was shown at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival, and went on to win the Grand Prix.[1] At the 71st Academy Awards, the film won awards for Best Music, Original Dramatic Score, and Best Foreign Language Film, with Benigni winning Best Actor for his role. The film also received Academy Award nominations for Directing, Film Editing, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Picture.[2]

Posted

The question was - and still is - what makes it possible for a foreign-language film to be nominated also in the Best picture category?

Posted

There's nothing in the bylaws that says the Academy members can't nominate foreign-language films in the Best Picture category; it's just been a very rare occurrence in the past. I can only assume that it will happen more frequently in future, now that up to 10 films can be nominated for Best Picture.

Posted

Eligibility rules for Best Foreign Language film:

I. DEFINITION

A foreign language film is defined as a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States of America with a predominantly non-English dialogue track.

II. ELIGIBILITY

The motion picture must be first released in the country submitting it no earlier than October 1, 2011, and no later than September 30, 2012, and be first publicly exhibited for at least seven consecutive days in a commercial motion picture theater for the profit of the producer and exhibitor.

VI. ELIGIBILITY IN OTHER CATEGORIES

Motion pictures submitted for Foreign Language Film award consideration may also qualify for the 85th Annual Academy Awards in other categories, provided they comply with the rules governing those categories.

Eligibility for Best Motion Picture:

8. Motion pictures from all countries shall be eligible for the annual awards listed in Rule One Paragraph 3, as long as they satisfy the requirements of the other applicable rules, and contain English-language subtitles if released in a foreign language.

As we all know, the more than 6,000 members of the Academy can vote in the Best Picture category, but for all other categories they must only vote in their respective discipline (known as "branches" in the Academy). In other words, directors vote the best of their peers, cinematographers (or DPs) vote the best director of photography, etc. As for the Best Foreign Language picture, however, there are these rules:

IV. VOTING

A. All submissions sent to the Academy will be screened by the Academy’s Foreign Language Film Award Committee(s). After the screenings, the committee(s) will vote by secret ballot to nominate five foreign language motion pictures for this award.

B. Final voting for the Foreign Language Film award shall be restricted to active and life Academy members who have attended Academy screenings, or other theatrical exhibition, of all five motion pictures nominated for the award.

Posted

Pretty cool. B)

Twitter Oscars® Index

"The Twitter Oscars® Index measures how Twitter users are referring to Academy Award® Nominees relative to the overall conversation on Twitter on any given day."

post-9625-13584616779989.jpg

Posted

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty

Lincoln

Les Misérables

Life of Pi

Amour

Django Unchained

Argo

All of these movies can be seen on the internet. Django Unchained was a big letdown for me. The first 15 minutes was great,but the movie stumbles into a side plot which is totally unbelievable .First the film is historically inaccurate. The movie takes place during the slave era of the USA in the 1850's. DO you think the average slave could read and write like an expert? Winchester rifles and the famous Colt Peacemaker had not been invented yet. Without any doubt ex-slaves or a freeman would have never been allowed to eat at the same dinning room table where the white masters where. The movie is a total fiction barely in fact. There is a scene in the movie where a slave is torn apart my the master's dogs. This scene ranks only next to the famous slave movie MANDINGO with respects to violence. It is an OK movie but rent the DVD.

Zero Dark Thirty is an alright movie. It is hard to squeeze 10 years of detective work in 2 hours. The movie is somewhat slow moving, and I was surprised how the American soldiers simply walked in and got their man. I thought that there was resistance by the bad guys,but it was straightforward. I am also surprised with all of the explosives going off that there would have been an escape attempt.

Silver Linings Playbook is simply boring and predictable.In fact unbelievable. Very slow moving.

Lincoln was an above average film about Ole Abe. This must be the 30th film produced about Mr. Lincoln. Daniel Day Lewis might as well be renamed god with his acting capability. He is excellent and the costumes and politics are very accurate. Mr. Lewis really did reach his high mark as an actor in the famous movie "There Will Be BLood" and this movie is second best compared to "There Will Be Blood".Great movie. Sally Fields, the Flying Nun acts as his wife.

Life of Pi...well get stoned and watch this one.

Argo...A bit slow moving, but above average. As I remember my history books, getting out of Iran was not that difficult. I surmise the movie had to sensationalize the past event.

Had not enough time to see the others.