Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Glasstop vs. old-fashioned coil electric stovetops

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Advice and info wanted about electric stovetops and ovens. We are looking for built-in units, not all-in-one free-standing. They do not have to be a matched set.

Some of the questions we have:

Glasstops vs. old fashioned coil-type burners

Particular models and brands that people hate/love and why

The oven will be used primarily for baking as opposed to roasting or broiling.

Any other info you think might be useful.

Thanks.

Posted

Gaggenau is the brand of stove, oven, and microwave we have and we love it.

The induction cooktop is really nice.

Posted

Thanks for your responses but for a variety of reasons, we are not considering induction.

Posted

Get gas if you can - by far the best.

By coil do you mean these? http://images03.olx.co.ke/ui/3/10/96/1354178237_460170496_1-Pictures-of--electric-cooker-for-sale.jpg Dont think you can buy them in D and even in UK they are quite out-dated now.

Also depends on how much you want to speand. You can get simple one for a few hundred EUR or several thousands of all types.

Posted

I highly recommend glasstops. Very easy to clean. Cleaning takes literary 5 minutes.

Posted

Get gas if you can - by far the best.By coil do you mean these? http://images03.olx.co.ke/ui/3/10/96/1354178237_460170496_1-Pictures-of--electric-cooker-for-sale.jpg Dont think you can buy them in D and even in UK they are quite out-dated now.Also depends on how much you want to speand. You can get simple one for a few hundred EUR or several thousands of all types.

Seconded. Gas, if you can. "Easily turn on and offable" as they used to say. Electric takes longer to heat up and longer to cool down.

Posted

I would go crazy without my gas stove. It's a nightmare if I have to cook somewhere else with electric.

Posted

How do you get a gas oven if you dont have gas connected in your apt? I miss my gas oven!

Posted

check with the manufacturer of the oven you want and use LPG if you have the space. You will also need some kind of adapter as the pressure will differ to that of NG but the manufacturer should be able to advise.

post-578-13626732693006.jpg

Posted

I like the glass tops: easy to use and maintain, robust and no rusting, etc. I thought the electric coil hobs stopped being made long ago (as in the 1980s!).